Author Topic: A new audax club - Yellowbelly Randonneurs  (Read 9357 times)

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
Re: A new audax club - Yellowbelly Randonneurs
« Reply #25 on: 09 October, 2016, 03:40:00 pm »
As a fen-man born and bred but now in exile, it was always my understanding from the locals that the name came from the fen reptiles, specifically the newt - having a yellow underside, but I would certainly defer to other definitions if a definitive one came along.  So, IMO you have to be from the flat bit at the bottom, and not the mountains N of Horncastle!

Having said that, I'm up for some rides with any Lincolnshiremen (there aren't that many of us anyway), particularly in the flat bit to get used to my new 700c recumbent.  Tetford Hill would be OK (got up that on my 20/26 'bent), but Belchford may need a bit more practice.

Will keep an eye open for news of rides.  And what is this FB of which you speak?

« Reply #26 on: 09 October, 2016, 09:40:21 pm »

Will keep an eye open for news of rides.  And what is this FB of which you speak?
[/quote]

A "get together" is being planned, probably in November. Once confirmed, it will announced on here

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diesel

• or Richard
« Reply #27 on: 10 October, 2016, 01:18:19 pm »
I'd like to start something up in Milton Keynes when I'm finished with the year record. Riders seem a bit thin on the ground. I can only think of myself, Bikeabilityman and Bus Shelter Bertie in Northampton.
and Big Saxon of Buckingham. I might take the plunge and start a new audax club thread with the aim of a (Wetherspoons?) pub meet.

If you widen the area a bit, there could be a bit more interest. There are at least 4 of us in or near Tring, at least 2 or 3 in or near Aylesbury. A couple of us have discussed this in the past, like the look of some of the Audax clubs we meet out and about ... Chiltern Audax anyone?

« Reply #28 on: 10 October, 2016, 02:38:25 pm »
I'd like to start something up in Milton Keynes when I'm finished with the year record. Riders seem a bit thin on the ground. I can only think of myself, Bikeabilityman and Bus Shelter Bertie in Northampton.
and Big Saxon of Buckingham. I might take the plunge and start a new audax club thread with the aim of a (Wetherspoons?) pub meet.

If you widen the area a bit, there could be a bit more interest. There are at least 4 of us in or near Tring, at least 2 or 3 in or near Aylesbury. A couple of us have discussed this in the past, like the look of some of the Audax clubs we meet out and about ... Chiltern Audax anyone?

That'd make sense, it'd include Pete Turnbull. I was thinking that Milton Keynes would make a good base because it links up to other places like Northampton, Bedford and Aylesbury. Tring is 25-30 miles from Milton Keynes, Aylesbury, Bedford, Luton, Dunstable and Northampton are about 20 miles away. Going further into the Chilterns really puts you into Willesden CC, which Pete Turnbul is a member of.

I have a basic idea of routes for a SR series from Milton Keynes as well.

cyclinggeezer

• Cyclinggeezer
« Reply #29 on: 12 October, 2016, 09:07:14 pm »
The Yellowbelly Randonneurs are meeting up for coffee on Sunday 13th November at 11am, The Giant Cafe, Doddington Hall, Doddington, Lincoln.

If you are coming from Notts it not too far from the SUSTRANS cycle path from Fledborough viaduct to Lincoln, exit at Harby. Easy to reach too if coming from the north and south of Lincolnshire.

Message me on FB or via YACF if you want more detail.

Hope to organise another social event in December to get us going as an audax club.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #30 on: 12 October, 2016, 09:59:26 pm »
So, we were Audax UK.  Then we saw the arrival of Audax Ecosse, Cymru and England (the latter of which I accept a bit of responsibility).  Now we have a plethora of regional sub-sub groups popping up.

Is this the end of the Union?  Is randonneuring imitating life?

Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #31 on: 12 October, 2016, 10:12:19 pm »
So, we were Audax UK.  Then we saw the arrival of Audax Ecosse, Cymru and England (the latter of which I accept a bit of responsibility).  Now we have a plethora of regional sub-sub groups popping up.

Is this the end of the Union?  Is randonneuring imitating life?

Maybe.
Small is Beautiful.
[except when it's served in a half pint glass of course :-)]
Fear not - regardless of the yearnings of some[like me] - we're all still connected anyway, so it matters little.
Garry Broad

« Reply #32 on: 12 November, 2016, 05:00:08 pm »
The Yellowbelly Randonneurs are meeting up for coffee on Sunday 13th November at 11am, The Giant Cafe, Doddington Hall, Doddington, Lincoln.

If you are coming from Notts it not too far from the SUSTRANS cycle path from Fledborough viaduct to Lincoln, exit at Harby. Easy to reach too if coming from the north and south of Lincolnshire.

Hope to organise another social event in December to get us going as an audax club.

I'll be there tomorrow, looking forward to meeting fellow Audax riders for tea and cake!

« Reply #33 on: 12 November, 2016, 05:40:16 pm »
hoping to see you all for half an hour whilst doing my rrty 200 for November......coming into Lincoln along sustrans route from Retford.

cheers

dave

We're supposed to be feeding them not fatting them........quote from chef on LEL

« Reply #34 on: 13 November, 2016, 12:04:36 pm »
I'm in Newcastle now but lived in Lincolnshire up to my early 30's so I'll defiantly be keen to take part in any calendar events held in that neck of the woods, combining an Audax with a family visit is a great way of selling a weekend way to Mrs B. Some terrific riding between Lincoln and the Humber.   

cyclinggeezer

• Cyclinggeezer
« Reply #35 on: 13 November, 2016, 10:36:17 pm »

I'll be there tomorrow, looking forward to meeting fellow Audax riders for tea and cake!

Had first meet up of the club today. Details of every thing covered  today has been posted on the Facebook group.

Looks like we will be falling into line with the other audax clubs naming format by calling ourselves Audax Club Lincolnshire, but you can still call us Lincolnshire Yellowbellies.

Hope to have an excuse for a Xmas/ social ride out too either to Bottle and Glass at Harby and or tea rooms at Bardney Heritage Centre.

« Reply #36 on: 17 November, 2016, 09:46:55 pm »
Looks like we will be falling into line with the other audax clubs naming format by calling ourselves Audax Club Lincolnshire, but you can still call us Lincolnshire Yellowbellies.

Audax Club Lincolnshire is how it's known now at AUK.  Good luck with collecting AAA points.

« Reply #37 on: 18 November, 2016, 02:31:27 pm »

Audax Club Lincolnshire is how it's known now at AUK.  Good luck with collecting AAA points.

Great stuff, just added it to my profile.

Good to meet everybody at the meeting, looking forward to further "get togethers" :)

« Reply #38 on: 23 September, 2017, 10:51:50 pm »
I'm likely to be in Lincoln next month, do you know if there are any nice perms that go near/through Lincoln?  Was thinking 100 or 200k & have learnt the hard way that a perm is better than a DIY in an area you don't really know. 

Thanks

cyclinggeezer

• Cyclinggeezer
« Reply #39 on: 23 September, 2017, 11:21:49 pm »
I have yet to sort out perms for all my rides that come under ACL. Think you might have to diy it. Could try the Bomber County route starting from the middle of Lincoln instead of Carlton le Moorland. Will take you out to the Lincolnshire Wolds and the coast before heading back via Burgh le Marsh, Horncastle Bardney and back via the Water Railway cycle path.

« Reply #40 on: 23 September, 2017, 11:54:55 pm »
A couple of the Alfreton CTC permanents pass close to if not through Lincoln, you can start from any control with the organisers permission.
http://alfretonctc.000webhostapp.com/permanent_rides.htm

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #41 on: 23 September, 2017, 11:59:12 pm »
Shame Giraffe's Middle Road is no longer a Thing! (Lincoln to Winchester, passing his home in Ashton)

« Reply #42 on: 24 September, 2017, 07:57:29 pm »
Thanks all, will take a look :)

« Reply #43 on: 25 September, 2017, 02:17:13 pm »
OK, I think this time I'm going to do a DIY based on the Bomber County route (not been to the seaside for ages so that appeals more this time).

Next time I've earmarked the Horncastle 200 perm which I now plan to try in 2018  :thumbsup:

At some stage I'll have to time a Lincoln visit with one of the calendar events up that way

Thanks again

« Reply #44 on: 25 September, 2017, 02:21:00 pm »
Does anybody know what surface of the cycle track that goes past washingbrough alongside the river is like?

I'm thinking about the bit around 175k on this strava route: https://www.strava.com/activities/540463724/overview

cyclinggeezer

• Cyclinggeezer
« Reply #45 on: 25 September, 2017, 02:27:39 pm »
Does anybody know what surface of the cycle track that goes past washingbrough alongside the river is like?

I'm thinking about the bit around 175k on this strava route: https://www.strava.com/activities/540463724/overview

The Water Railway is all tarmac and super smooth from Five Mile Bridge to Washingborough

« Reply #46 on: 25 September, 2017, 03:37:27 pm »

The Water Railway is all tarmac and super smooth from Five Mile Bridge to Washingborough

:thumbsup: thanks - sounds great