Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1753364 times)

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #4675 on: 18 December, 2013, 07:27:40 am »
Office Christmas meal in The Indian Ocean tonight so no riding for me.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4676 on: 18 December, 2013, 08:05:46 am »
Boxing Day [afternoon, probably] FlitchBikes ride from Dunmow....provisional venue the Temeraire [Wetherspoons] Saffron Walden.

« Reply #4677 on: 23 December, 2013, 01:45:37 pm »
Hi wishing you all a merry Christmas and a successful New Year    :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #4678 on: 23 December, 2013, 01:52:46 pm »
Hi wishing you all a merry Christmas and a successful New Year    :thumbsup:

:-* :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4679 on: 27 December, 2013, 02:46:06 pm »
Surviving the festive season are we? 

I have a pass for a all-day ride on either Saturday 4th or Sunday 5th January.  I fancy visiting The Half Moon Inn, Belchamp St. Paul, it being an as yet unvisited Good Beer Guide pub for lunch and a pint or two.  I was planning 60ish miles leaving Witham before 9am.  I haven't a route in mind yet but can easily swing by the Leighs and/or Dunmow.

The pace will be gentlemanly as I doubt I have done 10 miles since the Christmas Do.  I don't mind braving 5hitty weather providing it isn't icy.  Anyone fancy it?

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4680 on: 27 December, 2013, 04:59:04 pm »
Love to, but can't do either days unfortunately; more family stuff. [Postponed due to illness  - them not us, fortunately]

If anyone's interested, some of us FlitchBikers are going to Brett's at White Roding for brunch at around 11:00 on New Year's Day. WAGs and sundry hangers-on meeting us there.

« Reply #4681 on: 28 December, 2013, 12:05:55 pm »
I'll be building my miles up gently so I can get a idea of my levels. A nice jaunt around to the Square and Compasses and a swift half tomorrow is in order me thinks :-) Though I did just discover another Compasses about halfway between Chelmsford town centre and Broomfield hospital the other day. Not the most rural of settings, but I think OD mentioned there was some kind of divine line that can be drawn between the 3-4 Compass pubs that exist in our area!

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #4682 on: 29 December, 2013, 06:40:22 pm »
If anyone's interested, some of us FlitchBikers are going to Brett's at White Roding for brunch at around 11:00 on New Year's Day. WAGs and sundry hangers-on meeting us there.
Tomsk, I'm a definite maybe for meeting you at Brett's in White Roding. I won't get over to Gt Dunmow in time to set off with the group but meeting you there would work and then possibly ride with the group back to Gt D and head home from there.
OD is contemplating the idea too.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4683 on: 30 December, 2013, 09:34:31 am »
Hmmm, I not sure about New Year's Day.  Firstly I wouldn't want to be out for too long, a couple of hours tops.  And the forecast mentions rain and southerly gales gusting over 50mph!

But next Sunday isn't looking too bad if anyone fancies 60ish miles at a sedate pace.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4684 on: 30 December, 2013, 11:57:22 am »
... Though I did just discover another Compasses about halfway between Chelmsford town centre and Broomfield hospital the other day. Not the most rural of settings, but I think OD mentioned there was some kind of divine line that can be drawn between the 3-4 Compass pubs that exist in our area!

I've not been to The Compsses you mention.  Was it nice?

Regarding the Essex Mystery you mention in the text I have highlighted, have a look at this.  Intriguing stuff!

« Reply #4685 on: 30 December, 2013, 12:54:17 pm »
I didn't go in as I was on my way back to work! I don't think my client would like me smelling of beer - https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-K3pXYn7zVxo/Ua_BHv_-4DI/AAAAAACGHBA/Xr_4RffI7Pc/s1600/The%2BCompasses - it's on 141 Broomfield Road.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4686 on: 30 December, 2013, 06:12:51 pm »
Tomsk, I'm a definite maybe for meeting you at Brett's in White Roding. I won't get over to Gt Dunmow in time to set off with the group but meeting you there would work and then possibly ride with the group back to Gt D and head home from there.

:thumbsup: WAGs too?

See what the weather is doing and txt me before 9:30 on New Year's morning so I can forewarn Brett's.....

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #4687 on: 30 December, 2013, 07:08:26 pm »

:thumbsup: WAGs too?

See what the weather is doing and txt me before 9:30 on New Year's morning so I can forewarn Brett's.....
No WAGs, and looking at the worsening weather forecast likely to be no Huggy either  :-\
Will probably make a decision tomorrow afternoon/evening.....

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #4688 on: 31 December, 2013, 02:17:27 pm »
and looking at the worsening weather forecast likely to be no Huggy either  :-\
Will probably make a decision tomorrow afternoon/evening.....
The weather forecast is not looking any better for tomorrow, especially the return leg time of day with gusts up to 40mph.  I thinkI'm going to deploy discretion and wimp out unfortunately  :(  I will get out on a Saturday morning Flitchbikes ride sometime!
The weekend is not promising any better currently either but a more local circular route will offer some easier in-ride bail out options  :-\

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4689 on: 31 December, 2013, 02:26:59 pm »
The weekend is not promising any better currently either but a more local circular route will offer some easier in-ride bail out options  :-\

Sunday looks OK.

I won't be venturing out tomorrow.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4690 on: 01 January, 2014, 12:57:44 pm »
Surviving the festive season are we? 

I have a pass for a all-day ride on either Saturday 4th or Sunday 5th January.  I fancy visiting The Half Moon Inn, Belchamp St. Paul, it being an as yet unvisited Good Beer Guide pub for lunch and a pint or two.  I was planning 60ish miles leaving Witham before 9am.  I haven't a route in mind yet but can easily swing by the Leighs and/or Dunmow.

The pace will be gentlemanly as I doubt I have done 10 miles since the Christmas Do.  I don't mind braving 5hitty weather providing it isn't icy.  Anyone fancy it?

Me and Huggy are leaving Witham at 9:30am on Sunday and I propose this ROUTE.

Anyone else fancy it?

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4691 on: 01 January, 2014, 04:30:30 pm »
Today's ride was, at first, just a bit damp and headwindy. After brunch*: lashing rain in cross/tail wind, lots of surface water....not pleasant, but feeling virtuous now. Only myself and Brendan out [B recovering from a bit of an 'off' - sideswiped in Saffron Walden last week], but met the rest of the family at Brett's as planned.

* Smoked salmon and scrambled eggs - not my usual cycling breakfast, as you will know.

I'm looking for a weather window to have a full day out, but this weekend is going to be too busy.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4692 on: 02 January, 2014, 07:08:35 am »
^^^  Well done that man! 

Anyhow, as previously discussed, Hummers has proposed a cultural exchange whereby the various Wednesday night beer rides meet up in south London to exchange culture.  Saturday 25th January has been mentioned.  I am free but not sure whether negotiating a pass might be a negotiation too far at the moment. 

Any thoughts?

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #4693 on: 03 January, 2014, 12:45:50 pm »
A slight postponement would be good for me, trying to be gooderer in january.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4694 on: 03 January, 2014, 04:37:26 pm »
Can't make 25th Jan - February/March would be better, probably....

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4695 on: 03 January, 2014, 04:39:44 pm »
Yep,  looks like February or March is what Hummers is going for.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #4696 on: 06 January, 2014, 05:49:52 pm »
OD and I have discussed the possibility of a MEMWNS ride this week, anyone else about?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4697 on: 06 January, 2014, 07:33:00 pm »
OD and I have discussed the possibility of a MEMWNS ride this week, anyone else about?

I'm still a maybe.  Depends on real life.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4698 on: 07 January, 2014, 03:30:16 pm »
Book Club for me - have fun! The rest of the Wednesdays this month are ok, though.....

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4699 on: 07 January, 2014, 04:50:11 pm »
Me riding tomorrow evening isn't going to happen.  Much sadness, Tigger the Big Cat is booked in for a one-way trip to the vets  :'(  Mind you he is just shy of 18 years old but diabetes has caught up with the poor sod. 

And for the next 2 weeks I'm away.  Bugger.