Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1753251 times)

Re: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #19700 on: 27 November, 2023, 09:44:02 pm »
I am hoping to be there - may be motorised.

« Reply #19701 on: 28 November, 2023, 06:55:35 pm »
Hmmm.

Just looked at the weather for tomorrow and it showing below freezing from 18:00 and given my problem with

a) Hands not working in the cold  :-\
b) My affinity with gravity  :facepalm:

I'm going to be a no show tomorrow night.

And looking forward, I don't fancy the ungritted ride to 'spoons on Saturday am - BBC forecast of -3C at 8am  :o :o :o
Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #19702 on: 28 November, 2023, 07:11:56 pm »
Maybe time to get my Marathon Winters on?

rr

« Reply #19703 on: 28 November, 2023, 07:13:24 pm »
The Chelmsford gritters were out at lunch time.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #19704 on: 29 November, 2023, 07:55:22 am »
Out and about yesterday, there were plenty of places where the lanes were still damp from Tuesday's rain ... potentially icy. I'll get studded up right now!

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #19705 on: 29 November, 2023, 03:19:10 pm »
I'm 60/40 for tonight, might take a walk to the 'dev or even crack open a Belgium one at home.. 

The frost hasn't gone from the shed roof all day and my spin to pick up the weekly coffee was very very cold, not sure I can be fussed with the combo of cold and ice tonight, had enough of that on Saturday morning :) The CdF still has it's spikes on, but I am not loving the cold at the moment...

I'm hoping to get to Maldon on Saturday but the forecast isn't looking that much fun at the moment.
Regards,

Joergen

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #19706 on: 29 November, 2023, 03:49:30 pm »
I don't fancy riding this evening for fear of unthawed patches. Might make a motorised trip to the SH.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #19707 on: 29 November, 2023, 04:37:42 pm »
The studded tyres are on my bike for this evening.

This mornings ride from Ipswich was cold with a few damp bits initially, but after Colchester there were swamped areas (blocked ditches) with ice/slush across whole road.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #19708 on: 29 November, 2023, 05:52:05 pm »
So I wimped out of the 200 and did a 100km Boudicca's Revenge instead. Nick D stuck to the plan and is ploughing round to keep his RRtY going. We found some ice here and there on the way out to Buntingford: a little wheelspin for Nick, panzer time for me with the Marathon Winters - slow going of course, I bet he was glad to push on alone! I hope he takes some of the main road options later on tonight - it's freezing up already here and there's still plenty of water on the lanes.

I'll be along to the SH around 20:00.

« Reply #19709 on: 29 November, 2023, 08:37:27 pm »
Just been looking at the studded tyres - not a cheap option, but I guess they'll last years....

Found then cheaper - hopefully here in time for Saturday....

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #19710 on: 30 November, 2023, 09:41:51 am »
Just been looking at the studded tyres - not a cheap option, but I guess they'll last years....

My first set lasted for about 5-6 winters - they lost a few studs, but the main problem was the wire bead rusting and rotting the threads due to road salt. I've washed down the new pair after removing each time, which I hope will extend their lifetime.

I reckon I was at least 2mph average slower yesterday than on the helpers' ride on Saturday, but then 26" wheels and a heavier, geared bike made a contribution too! A good workout though - 89 miles felt more like double that!

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #19711 on: 30 November, 2023, 10:11:52 am »

My first set lasted for about 5-6 winters - they lost a few studs, but the main problem was the wire bead rusting and rotting the threads due to road salt. I've washed down the new pair after removing each time, which I hope will extend their lifetime.

I reckon I was at least 2mph average slower yesterday than on the helpers' ride on Saturday, but then 26" wheels and a heavier, geared bike made a contribution too! A good workout though - 89 miles felt more like double that!
I have had mine since sept 2018, they have been used for 698 miles, all studs in place still. They are permanently fitted to a pair of "winter wheels" for a quick change over.

Wear gloves (old ones that are past their best) when handling the tyres - the studs make them very uncomfortable and catch on almost anything.

« Reply #19712 on: 30 November, 2023, 04:19:42 pm »

Where did you get them in the end? I might get a pair.

« Reply #19713 on: 30 November, 2023, 04:27:05 pm »
So I wimped out of the 200 and did a 100km Boudicca's Revenge instead. Nick D stuck to the plan and is ploughing round to keep his RRtY going. We found some ice here and there on the way out to Buntingford: a little wheelspin for Nick, panzer time for me with the Marathon Winters - slow going of course, I bet he was glad to push on alone! I hope he takes some of the main road options later on tonight - it's freezing up already here and there's still plenty of water on the lanes.

I'll be along to the SH around 20:00.

It was pretty grim out there. I crashed at the 100 mile mark, so with about 60 km to go. Lost some skin off my right forearm and my hip has swollen up pretty big and walking on it can be really painful at times. Made it home but very slow going after the crash - too nervous it would happen again, although the roads were pretty good, even on the Saffron Walden to Great Dunmow stretch.

It was great riding with you and thanks for the cake and coffee. I didn't use the gloves in the end but thanks for the loan, I'll return these with the brevet. Forgetting my overshoes was a big mistake, I did use my waterproof Velotoze things but not sure how much they helped.

Probably one of the hardest rides I've done, but its done.

« Reply #19714 on: 30 November, 2023, 06:54:22 pm »

Ouch Nick, heal well.

I am getting my Winters from SJS Cycles and paid for Express delivery.  Arriving tomorrow in time for SAE.

As cheap as £11.99 each if you can fit 40mm.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tyres-large/schwalbe-winter-hs396-tyre-with-reflex-28-x-1-12-inch-40635/

Or £27.99 for 32mm

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tyres-large/schwalbe-winter-hs396-tyre-with-reflex-700-x-30-30622/

Or £44.99 for the Marathon Winter version in 35mm

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tyres/schwalbe-marathon-winter-hs396-tyre-cw-spikes-700-x-35-35622/

« Reply #19715 on: 30 November, 2023, 07:32:46 pm »

Ouch Nick, heal well.

I am getting my Winters from SJS Cycles and paid for Express delivery.  Arriving tomorrow in time for SAE.

As cheap as £11.99 each if you can fit 40mm.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tyres-large/schwalbe-winter-hs396-tyre-with-reflex-28-x-1-12-inch-40635/

Or £27.99 for 32mm

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tyres-large/schwalbe-winter-hs396-tyre-with-reflex-700-x-30-30622/

Or £44.99 for the Marathon Winter version in 35mm

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tyres/schwalbe-marathon-winter-hs396-tyre-cw-spikes-700-x-35-35622/

Great stuff, many thanks, Mr Sheep!

Paging @BFC, what widths can I fit on my wheels on the single speed, please? Its too cold in the garage.

Nick.

« Reply #19716 on: 30 November, 2023, 07:46:51 pm »
Those 40mm Winters at SJS are etro 635 tyres for 28” wheels - they won’t fit 700c wheels.

The 28mm tyres on my Touché come up at about 30mm and they just about fit, so I’m pretty sure even the 32mm tyres will be too big - especially with the studs :( There’d be no chance of getting 35mm tyres on there.

« Reply #19717 on: 30 November, 2023, 08:16:29 pm »
My bad hadn’t spotted that, likely why cheapest by far.. Recumbent can take up to 32mm (35mm kind of squeezes in but rubs)  with mudguards at rear so 30mm with studs should be good.  Front can take 42mm no issues as long as I refit my wider mudguards.

« Reply #19718 on: 30 November, 2023, 08:18:05 pm »
 :facepalm:

Thanks Gavin - I hadn't spotted that, and I'd ordered the 40mm from Wiggle and they are 635 - all the other sizes were 622 (all labelled 28").

So it looks like I'm not riding this weekend, but I have found some 650b ones, so I'll get them and have them available for a quick swap on the 650b wheels

Those 40mm Winters at SJS are etro 635 tyres for 28” wheels - they won’t fit 700c wheels.

The 28mm tyres on my Touché come up at about 30mm and they just about fit, so I’m pretty sure even the 32mm tyres will be too big - especially with the studs :( There’d be no chance of getting 35mm tyres on there.

« Reply #19719 on: 30 November, 2023, 08:30:56 pm »
:facepalm:

Thanks Gavin - I hadn't spotted that, and I'd ordered the 40mm from Wiggle and they are 635 - all the other sizes were 622 (all labelled 28").

So it looks like I'm not riding this weekend, but I have found some 650b ones, so I'll get them and have them available for a quick swap on the 650b wheels

Grey Sheep.  I have a pair of these in 37-622.  They have the lamella tread and winter compound but no studs.  They don’t fit under rear mudguard (well they do but rub like hell) of recumbent and thus won’t be using them Sat.  I can bring them along on the day if you can be bothered fitting at start and want to use them

https://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/commuting-touring/top-contact-ii-winter-premium

I’ve used them in snow past couple of years and they work great.  I would not trust on pure sheet ice but they are pretty grippy barring that.

« Reply #19720 on: 30 November, 2023, 08:47:09 pm »
Thanks for the offer Phil, but with all the water coming down to papermill lock/crabbs hill etc it will be ice, so I'm not going to risk it.

Rather p'd with the local Parish Council as the new papermill bridge would have addressed all the winter issues (and flooding) with the locals wanted to keep it "as is" - so we get to keep all teh accidents >:(

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #19721 on: 04 December, 2023, 11:28:57 am »
Greetings! Remember me?  :thumbsup:

I appreciate I have been MIA for much of the year, a combination of Real Life TM and nautical endeavors.  2024 should be different, I am semi-retiring and going to work Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday for a local telecoms company.  A four day weekend should make more time for lots of fun stuff including cycling so you might see more of me - sorry about that  ;D

Anyhow, in a re-starting as we mean to go on sort of vibe I was wondering where the MEMWNS might find itself on Wednesday 21st December?  If its likely to be icy I won't be venturing awheel although could manage a Witham pubbe; but if the weather is favorable I'd be happy to throw a leg over Fred and pedal somewhere reasonably local.

« Reply #19722 on: 04 December, 2023, 12:33:57 pm »
I was wondering where the MEMWNS might find itself on Wednesday 21st December? 

That sounds like forward planning. What we need is somebody with a bit of extra time on their hands who could coordinate it ...

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #19723 on: 04 December, 2023, 12:43:46 pm »
I was wondering where the MEMWNS might find itself on Wednesday 21st December? 

A quick check tells me it would find itself in the year 2033.

Forward planning indeed !

As for this December, I would like to be awheel on Wednesday 20th December.  I will be in Essex and probably just about fit enough to make it to the Swan at Totham.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

felstedrider

« Reply #19724 on: 04 December, 2023, 01:39:17 pm »
I actually logged in to see if there was any discussion of this week but things seem to have got ahead of themselves.