Author Topic: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread  (Read 437344 times)

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
Re: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread
« Reply #1625 on: 23 September, 2019, 03:38:34 pm »
I am a **fucking** idiot.

For a while now I have been using a feature in gmail called 'alias', to make my email address a bit shorter and more professional.

What I didn't realise is that mail sent to this alias address hasn't been automatically directed to my inbox, so I've been receiving replies to an email all year which I haven't read. This has concerned all kinds of things from research to audax to whatever else.

I'm so angry and disappointed with myself for not checking things were working as I understood. Unbelievable. Literally just opened my 'missing' inbox and there's 70 email threads of correspondence from people who have just assumed I've ignored or missed them. **Some** emails were coming to the 'right' address but so much has gone right under my radar..... FFS.  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1626 on: 23 September, 2019, 04:01:03 pm »
That's still better than giving out someone else's email address thinking it's your own, which - if the contents of my gmail inbox are anything to go by - is a surprisingly popular option.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1627 on: 27 September, 2019, 04:21:54 pm »
I only measured once. :(
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #1628 on: 27 September, 2019, 05:25:45 pm »
I only measured once. :(
:(. Hope it wasn’t a nice piece of wood.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

fuzzy

« Reply #1629 on: 27 September, 2019, 11:32:05 pm »
Is making everything smaller an option?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1630 on: 28 September, 2019, 07:42:16 am »
Nice piece of planed oak, and furthermore it's one of the shortest members of the construction so I can't repurpose it.  Scaling the whole thing down is an option, but I've already done that once to recover from the zero-adjust on my chop saw being off by a degree.

Fortunately I bought more wood than I needed, but to recover I'm going to have to rip 4 cm off a 2-metre board to get the right width.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1631 on: 28 September, 2019, 08:48:16 am »
Had to drive to Cardiff airport and back at 3.30am this morning.  Didn't occur to me to ask Mrs B,  when she got home from work yesterday, how much fuel was in the car.  At that time of the morning I'm not very bright, so I only realised the tank was nearly empty as we joined the M4.
Had to buy £20 worth of motorway price fuel.  :facepalm:
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1632 on: 28 September, 2019, 09:08:20 am »
What, a whole litre?

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #1633 on: 28 September, 2019, 09:35:04 am »
Took a wrong turning while at work yesterday (cycle delivery) and decided to backtrack on the pavement for a few yards as the clients address would be on that side of the road. Not soever but it was late at night and the streets were empty.

Anyway, went over a massive root in the pavement and went AOT other the bars. Fortunately was wearing long sleeves and bib tights plus mitts and a h****t so worst off I got was a sore thumb and minor scraping on elbow and right knee. My glasses were snapped but managed to fix them this morning. Lesson learned...
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1634 on: 28 September, 2019, 10:52:07 am »
Took a wrong turning while at work yesterday (cycle delivery) and decided to backtrack on the pavement for a few yards as the clients address would be on that side of the road. Not soever but it was late at night and the streets were empty.

Anyway, went over a massive root in the pavement and went AOT other the bars. Fortunately was wearing long sleeves and bib tights plus mitts and a h****t so worst off I got was a sore thumb and minor scraping on elbow and right knee. My glasses were snapped but managed to fix them this morning. Lesson learned...
Shall I ask the traditional question?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #1635 on: 28 September, 2019, 04:48:16 pm »
I am now virtually back to normal after my coming off from a non-lowered and unmakes curb in July.  I have taken photographs, etc and the letter will go to the legal director at the council after my check X-ray on Tuesday.  3 weeks to reply and then I fill out the small claims court forms.

I found the range of awards on various websites and figured what I thought it was worth, added in the cancelled holiday costs and came up with a figure.

We will see what happens.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1636 on: 28 September, 2019, 08:44:19 pm »
Taxc TTS software, why won't you see all my deviced to allow me to hurt myself on the turbo trainer? Let me turn you off and on again, and again.

Oh! That's why!

Plugs in ANT+ dongle  :-[
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1637 on: 29 September, 2019, 06:29:46 pm »
As mentioed in the fettling thread, today I have been poking my multimeter into an electric shower. Mains voltage, water. What could possibly go wrong?

Anyhoo, all isolated (switch and MCB). Get multimeter out. Twist knob to continuity. Display reads 0.00 before I bring the probes together. Arse. Is it broken? Try a few more resistance settings, same result. More arse.

Take closer look at the selector knob. The selector knob with a groove in one end of the whatsit. The groove that is pointing 180 degrees away from the continuity setting.

Twist it round and all is well.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1638 on: 29 September, 2019, 07:33:56 pm »
As mentioed in the fettling thread, today I have been poking my multimeter into an electric shower. Mains voltage, water. What could possibly go wrong?

Judging by a friend's recent saga:

- Electric shock from shower.
- User error resulting in further electric shocks from shower, rather than extracting oneself - suds and all - from the bath until safe isolation had been practised.
- Well-charred[1] isolator switch b0rked in the 'on' position.
- Under-rated cable supplying shower...
- ...from a 40A MCB on the non-RCD side[2] of the consumer unit...  :o
- ...with a twist-and-insulating-tape splice hidden in a length of conduit  >:(

I provided Advice, to the effect that a qualified sparky came and swore extensively at all this the following morning, before proceeding to sort it out properly.

Somewhere in the bit bucket, there's a video of a Finnish stand-up comedian explaining all that is wrong about BRITISH bathrooms.  The relevant comments being "Is this thing connected to mains current?  But I'm in the shower‽" and "In Finland we don't have all this information technology.  We use a fucking Y-shaped pipe."  It's those little cultural differences.

[1] Which is extra-suspicious, because I fitted that isolator a few years ago and was particularly careful to do all the terminals up Bastard Tight to prevent this sort of thing.  I hadn't expected the wire itself to overheat...   :facepalm:
[2] Immersion heater on the non-RCD side TAAW.  Googling suggests arguments in favour of this practice amounting to "it's really inconvenient to wake up to cold water when your dodgy immersion heater trips the mains", and my argument against being "it's even more inconvenient when you're electrocuted by live plumbing ffs you prat".

« Reply #1639 on: 29 September, 2019, 07:35:53 pm »

Judging by a friend's recent saga:

- Electric shock from shower.
- User error resulting in further electric shocks from shower, rather than extracting oneself - suds and all - from the bath until safe isolation had been practised.
- Well-charred[1] isolator switch b0rked in the 'on' position.
- Under-rated cable supplying shower...
- ...from a 40A MCB on the non-RCD side[2] of the consumer unit...  :o
- ...with a twist-and-insulating-tape splice hidden in a length of conduit  >:(

I provided Advice, to the effect that a qualified sparky came and swore extensively at all this the following morning, before proceeding to sort it out properly.

Somewhere in the bit bucket, there's a video of a Finnish stand-up comedian explaining all that is wrong about BRITISH bathrooms.  The relevant comments being "Is this thing connected to mains current?  But I'm in the shower‽" and "In Finland we don't have all this information technology.  We use a fucking Y-shaped pipe."  It's those little cultural differences.

[1] Which is extra-suspicious, because I fitted that isolator a few years ago and was particularly careful to do all the terminals up Bastard Tight to prevent this sort of thing.  I hadn't expected the wire itself to overheat...   :facepalm:
[2] Immersion heater on the non-RCD side TAAW.  Googling suggests arguments in favour of this practice amounting to "it's really inconvenient to wake up to cold water when your dodgy immersion heater trips the mains", and my argument against being "it's even more inconvenient when you're electrocuted by live plumbing ffs".

Someone needs to show him a suicide shower head

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1640 on: 29 September, 2019, 07:39:24 pm »
Those things give me the creeps.  Because you can guarantee whoever installs them subscribes to this school of circuit protection.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #1641 on: 29 September, 2019, 08:42:40 pm »
Badly wired electrics and water?   

Some years ago, I found myself having to occupy a flat in South Sinai, and not in the fleshpots of Sharm either.  We were in a small town for 3 months for a project.  No hotels.  The previous occupant had presumably cooked on an open fire in the kitchen, to judge by the smoke-blackened kitchen walls.  There was no direct evidence of goat-keeping but it would not have surprised me.

Anyway, fortunately, before taking a shower on the first evening (having spent all day scrubbing the flat) I tested the warmth of the shower water with my hand before committing my full body to the wetness.  Good job I did.  The water was live.  The muscle relex disconnected me from the 240V supply.

I still have a badly scarred right forearm from when the Chinese jug-kettle welded itself to the base.  When I picked it up on boiling, the base came with it, the cable pulled tight and boiling water went over my arm...... I could not drop the kettle as I had sandals on and that would have compounded the situation.  The several seconds it took me to get the kettle back down on the worktop and my jumper off doubtlessly compound the burn.  Next morning I had what looked like a plastic bag of fluid attached to my forearm.  Which necessitated a couple of nights in the local military hospital - fortunately one of my local team was ex-Egyptian army, and pulled a few strings.  Otherwise it was an 8 hour fairly deadly drive back to Cairo (as proven for one of the client's team, poor soul, going home for a weekend off).

I could go on about subsequently being given antibiotics diluted with the water from the toilet cistern in the local pharmacy, but I won't, because no-one will believe me.

« Reply #1642 on: 30 September, 2019, 10:10:17 am »
Mrs S: Have you seen the DVD with the wedding photo's on it?
Me: No, what's it look like?
Mrs S: It's a DVD in a white case with gold writing that was with all those other loose DVD's and CD's you tidied up

My idea of tidying up generally involves black bags   :-[

On the plus side I now know what to get her for our anniversary.

How ruddy much?  :facepalm: :facepalm:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1643 on: 30 September, 2019, 05:09:05 pm »
I could go on about subsequently being given antibiotics diluted with the water from the toilet cistern in the local pharmacy, but I won't, because no-one will believe me.
Oh yes we will! (Destroy medical packaging after use!)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #1644 on: 01 October, 2019, 08:11:59 am »
Not really the correct thread, but fans of Big Clive may have missed this one.  The action starts at 16:20.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBg4ximDrsk

Bet Kim's bookmarked it already.   ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1645 on: 01 October, 2019, 11:44:18 am »
Important lesson in not meddling with pyrophoric substances unless you've got your Explosion Containment Pie Dish on standby, that.

Jayjay

• Layin' back a bit these days.
« Reply #1646 on: 05 October, 2019, 10:02:10 pm »
Been finding some aches in the "glutes" on my rides lately, attributed it to a different pedalling action, or even a mild sciatica.
This afternoon realised that the new (recumbent) seat hadn't been re-tensioned for several weeks, and was letting me sit down enough to contact the trike metalwork.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1647 on: 12 October, 2019, 01:31:15 pm »
Forgot that the depth stop on my old Bosch router suffers from creep, so I now have a rebate that starts at 5 mm and ends up at 10.  Fortunately it'll be hidden by beading.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #1648 on: 16 October, 2019, 03:57:57 pm »
For over a year my TV has been outputting sound in stereo.  I thought is a limitation of hdmi audio return.  Today I noticed all I needed to do was tell the TV to output in Dolby Digital. Now multi-channel sources are output multi-channel.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #1649 on: 02 November, 2019, 09:06:59 am »
I am become old.

Looking at the MOT* cert. for the recently acquired cranky old grid late (i.e. after 9pm) last night and was convinced it had expired in June.   Cue half an hour's fretting and angst about trying to sort out an MOT today.  About quarter to ten there was a slow moment of realisation and then the following short conversation....

Me "Umm, what year is it?"
MrsLurker, "Year!? 2019, why?"
Me "Ermm. Oh, no reason.  Just wondering."

Yup.  The expiry date on the cert. is June next year.  Keriist.  I'm used to only knowing the date +/- a day or two, but to be out by a whole flaming year?

*I know, I know it hasn't been the Ministry of Transport for decades and IIRC it hasn't been an MOT cert. since about 1975(ish) but ICBA to look up the details. A project for the interested reader.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου