Author Topic: Chris Sodding Boardman  (Read 18052 times)

Re: Chris Sodding Boardman
« Reply #50 on: 18 July, 2011, 10:38:40 am »
I really like Boardman ever since he dripped over a programme he was signing for me at the Duo Normand in '99. He and Jens Voigt (his two-up partner) were warming up on the turbo and having some good old friendly banter with each other. He apologised for sweating on my souvenir.

His adverts are crap, mind you.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #51 on: 18 July, 2011, 11:22:48 am »
There's been some great piss-taking of the ads on twitter, which - to his credit - Boardman has been retweeting in good humour. I think he knows how bad they are.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #52 on: 18 July, 2011, 09:01:28 pm »
I understand that the price to pay for watching the TdF on ITV 4 is the awful adverts. But is it me or are those inane little words of wisdom by CB trying to flog his bikes getting on other peoples nreves. An example 'I always wondered why there were three places on the podium' Well Chris, that was so that you could see three of the blokes that got over the mountains when you got off your bike.

Did he not finish once in 1996?
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #53 on: 18 July, 2011, 09:21:46 pm »
There's been some great piss-taking of the ads on twitter, which - to his credit - Boardman has been retweeting in good humour. I think he knows how bad they are.

d.

Whatever we may think of those ads, they are doing a very good job of getting talked about.
Those bikes look perfectly OK to me. I wouldn't turn my nose up at one.
I'm glad that someone like Boardman is on the programme too. It's good to know that what you're being told is coming from someone who has been there and done it, rather than some bullshit from some know nothing with imaginative opinions.
Crap ads? That's just commercial media for you, that is.

« Reply #54 on: 19 July, 2011, 07:09:11 pm »
I understand that the price to pay for watching the TdF on ITV 4 is the awful adverts. But is it me or are those inane little words of wisdom by CB trying to flog his bikes getting on other peoples nreves. An example 'I always wondered why there were three places on the podium' Well Chris, that was so that you could see three of the blokes that got over the mountains when you got off your bike.

Did he not finish once in 1996?
i'm pretty sure he did. iirc, if you knock off all those who have admitted to (or almost certainly were) doping, he may well have made the top 10…
she was quite innocent, 'till she got that bicycle - sykurmolanir

« Reply #55 on: 19 July, 2011, 08:23:21 pm »
Unless he was doping too.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #56 on: 19 July, 2011, 09:39:46 pm »
Slim chance of that. Not because he is a Brit and therefore 'better than a cheat'. Boardman had a history of outstanding ability from well before he was a pro, he submitted samples for retrospective testing and his performances during long stage races declined as you might expect to occur with an unaugmented athlete.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #57 on: 19 July, 2011, 11:22:03 pm »
That bike that's in the corner of the shot when Gary & Chris are standing at their iPad-equipped "workstation" - it's most often in the big ring/largest sprocket combo. Gringo error!  :facepalm:

« Reply #58 on: 20 July, 2011, 05:59:48 am »
I've always like Boardman as he does present an honest image.  He reminded me a bit of Nigel Manson in previous years performances as he was a bit droll.  This year however he has been a lot more informative and even critical at times.  I particularly liked his summary of Andy Schleck yesterday when the latter moaned about downhill finishes  ;D  Keep it up ITV.

fuzzy

« Reply #59 on: 20 July, 2011, 03:13:55 pm »
I've always like Boardman as he does present an honest image.  He reminded me a bit of Nigel Manson in previous years performances as he was a bit droll.  This year however he has been a lot more informative and even critical at times.  I particularly liked his summary of Andy Schleck yesterday when the latter moaned about downhill finishes  ;D  Keep it up ITV.

Nigel Manson? Wasn't he the former World F1 Champ who went phsyco, recruited a bunch of wannabes including Murray Walker whom he persuaded to murder an actress and is now doing a long stretch at Sing Sing?

;)

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #60 on: 20 July, 2011, 03:19:46 pm »
I have respect for Boardman. Like myself he was a GHS10 champion, but then he went on to have a cycling career I could only dream of.

Boring commentator tho'  (but - as in the cycling - I doubt I could do better) ;)

fuzzy

« Reply #61 on: 20 July, 2011, 03:24:56 pm »
A friend of mine who is very active in cycle paramedic circles dislikes him. My friend was/ is shit hot on a BMX (and has had some input in the abilities of Shanaze Reade) and got medals.

Chris Boardman dissed the BMX crowd.

YMMV

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #62 on: 20 July, 2011, 03:26:24 pm »
A friend of mine who is very active in cycle paramedic circles dislikes him. My friend was/ is shit hot on a BMX (and has had some input in the abilities of Shanaze Reade) and got medals.

Chris Boardman dissed the BMX crowd.

YMMV

Most riders of my generation dissed the BMX crowd ;)

edit: I watch them with nothing but admiration for their 'skill' now