Author Topic: insurance for audaxing abroad  (Read 5725 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: insurance for audaxing abroad
« Reply #25 on: 09 November, 2018, 11:20:18 pm »
Been considering some of the Irish (who insist on liability insurance) and Dutch Brevets (don't see a mention of it)

How do they expect you to prove you have said insurance? Are you expected to turn up with a copy of the insurance policy? How does that work for those with a policy not in English?

When you enter a Dutch brevet you must tick a box that you have a liabiilty insurance. Since a lot of Dutch household liability insurances cover recreational cycling this is just a formality for most Dutch citizens (except those of extreme religious denomination, I've never seen one of them at an event though).

When I signed up to randonneurs.nl I also got an NTFU card in the post and a magazine in Dutch. Does the NTFU give any insurance?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #26 on: 10 November, 2018, 08:36:11 am »
Remember auk members can get CT affiliate membership which includes 3rd party insurance for not a lot. Need to check t&cs but possibly cheapest option.

£25 quid, aye.

Do you have a link ? Bing has failed me on this one.

« Reply #27 on: 10 November, 2018, 08:55:45 am »

When you enter a Dutch brevet you must tick a box that you have a liabiilty insurance. Since a lot of Dutch household liability insurances cover recreational cycling this is just a formality for most Dutch citizens (except those of extreme religious denomination, I've never seen one of them at an event though).

When I signed up to randonneurs.nl I also got an NTFU card in the post and a magazine in Dutch. Does the NTFU give any insurance?

J

Yes, third party liability during bike events, specially tailored for cyclist's needs. That's why I'm busy now encoding all our BRM's in the NTFU calender so they are registered as events and riders are insured.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #28 on: 10 November, 2018, 11:14:58 am »
Remember auk members can get CT affiliate membership which includes 3rd party insurance for not a lot. Need to check t&cs but possibly cheapest option.

£25 quid, aye.

Do you have a link ? Bing has failed me on this one.

IIRC I published advice regarding joining CTC as an affiliate member on a fairly prominent page of the AUKweb website but its gone now. c'est la vie.

The relevant link for the CUK website is https://shop.cyclinguk.org/membership/affiliate-membership-myself

You need AUK's affiliate organisation number. It may be CUK will tell you elsewise you'll have to ask someone at AUK.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #29 on: 10 November, 2018, 11:29:51 am »
You need AUK's affiliate organisation number. It may be CUK will tell you elsewise you'll have to ask someone at AUK.
I have a number which I have just sent to someone to use. He has promised feedback on whether it works. If you are not in a hurry please wait a few days and then contact me on membership@audax.uk and I will be able to give you the number in confidence, if you want to try before that you take your chance!

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #30 on: 10 November, 2018, 12:27:47 pm »

I have a number which I have just sent to someone to use. He has promised feedback on whether it works. If you are not in a hurry please wait a few days and then contact me on membership@audax.uk and I will be able to give you the number in confidence, if you want to try before that you take your chance!

That was I, my main Cycling Club is BC affiliated but not CUK and the local group I'm a member of is only just starting off with CUKs input.

Received a load of e-mails from them this morning, though not sure if that's an automated thing or if their office does something.
Interestingly their e-mailed document that says "You're a member" says I should receive the membership pack in 10 to 14 days, while the e-mail itself says 2 to 4 weeks

What convinced me was that it's covering anywhere in the world except the US and Canada and at £10m it's considerably more than what any of the cycle travel or bike insurance companies I found covered for.  Getting more than just insurance for the £25 quid as well was the killer, better than paying 50 to 100 odd for something you're not actually wanting to get the benefit of.

Was speaking to someone about the MCofS's liability insurance in relation to their proposal to add a pretty pathetic life insurance to membership (doesn't pay out on death and pays out paltry amounts on injuiry) and apparently it's never paid out any claim...

« Reply #31 on: 10 November, 2018, 06:18:42 pm »
Why oh why is it not possible to purchase just third-party cycling insurance?

Until a year or two ago, I had third-party insurance from London Cycling Campaign. IIRC it cost £9.50 per year. Unfortunately they stopped offering this.

I don’t want to join CUK or BC as a full member as I don’t want or need any of the other stuff that is included in their packages, and I certainly don’t want to take out an expensive theft insurance policy just to get third-party insurance.

It appears that the least unacceptable option is CUK affiliate membership, but even with that I would be paying £25 just to get insurance that is really only worth £9.50 or thereabouts.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #32 on: 11 November, 2018, 09:33:28 am »

The relevant link for the CUK website is https://shop.cyclinguk.org/membership/affiliate-membership-myself

Thanks.
That page was the only thing my search coughed up, but I didn't think it very helpful as it doesn't seem to describe what an affiliate member is or how it differs from a full member. My initial assumption was it would have some restrictions in benefits, but maybe it's purely a discount. Seems I'd have to find a working affiliate org number before I could click through and discover what's T&C's I'd be agreeing to and if I even wanted to proceed. Which is quite a faff.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #33 on: 11 November, 2018, 08:47:38 pm »

Thanks.
That page was the only thing my search coughed up, but I didn't think it very helpful as it doesn't seem to describe what an affiliate member is or how it differs from a full member. My initial assumption was it would have some restrictions in benefits, but maybe it's purely a discount. Seems I'd have to find a working affiliate org number before I could click through and discover what's T&C's I'd be agreeing to and if I even wanted to proceed. Which is quite a faff.

From what I gathered the primary difference is that Affiliate members don't get to use the legal advice provided to full members.
The important bit was that the Worldwide (Except USA and Canadia) liability insurance is part of the affiliate deal.

« Reply #34 on: 11 November, 2018, 10:04:51 pm »
I'm both a British Cycling and a CTC member.  BC's travel insurance seems marginally better in as much as the Ts&Cs are clearer.  Cost for either is around £80 pa.