Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2469497 times)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #7425 on: 14 October, 2014, 10:59:12 pm »
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #7426 on: 14 October, 2014, 11:08:09 pm »
Ooh, that paint job is gorgeous. More pics of the rest of it needed!

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #7427 on: 14 October, 2014, 11:14:55 pm »
It's first proper outing, love it!

That looks great! So want a fat bike.

In other news, I always suspected it was Tom H who dobbed me in to the coppers, and now I know for sure.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #7428 on: 14 October, 2014, 11:15:51 pm »
Oops!

Whatever that is, we definitely need to see more of it. Very Kleinesque paintwork.
Right! What's next?

« Reply #7429 on: 15 October, 2014, 09:01:06 am »
Very Kleinesque paintwork.

Well spotted marcusjb!  It's a 2000 Klein Quantum, just the frameset at this stage.  I've wanted one of these for aeons.  This specimen was advertised by a fellow SE23 resident a couple of years ago, but she changed her mind.  Then on Sunday she changed her mind again, having at last found a Quantum in a size that fits her better, so by Monday evening this frameset was in my lair. 

I will build it up slowly and carefully and, somewhere along the line, I shall probably have to decide whether I need to keep the BMC SL01 frameset that I picked up cheap earlier this year.

Yes, more photos in due course.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #7430 on: 16 October, 2014, 01:11:46 am »
Is that 'flip' paint? (Think late 90s Rovers & Nissans) A colour that changes as you move and the reflections change angle. Or is it a paintjob with a green/purple fade?
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #7431 on: 16 October, 2014, 08:10:42 am »
The former - it mutates between blue, green and purple as it turns.

Son #2 doesn't like it.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #7432 on: 16 October, 2014, 08:16:34 am »
It will be a stunner for sure. Love Klein paint jobs of that era. They were something special. Look forward to seeing the full build.
Right! What's next?

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #7433 on: 16 October, 2014, 08:46:22 am »
There is a guy that I know vaguely, that lives not 100 miles from me, that loves his Kleins (and his Paul Donohues, but that's another story).  He lurks mainly over on Retrobike.

I remember, back in my MTB racing days, lusting after the Kleins, purely for the paintwork.  Then again I also lusted after the Whyte PRS-1, the PACE square tubed MTBs and the proper Gary Fisher MTBs (not the Trek made ones).
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #7434 on: 16 October, 2014, 08:57:39 am »
1990ish Klein Attitude was the bike that made it onto my bedroom wall.  And that was before their paintjobs got super awesome and fadey.

Maybe one day, when I have the space, I'll have to buy one - though maybe meeting your childhood heroes isn't a good idea.....
Right! What's next?

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #7435 on: 16 October, 2014, 09:59:33 am »
1990ish Klein Attitude was the bike that made it onto my bedroom wall.  And that was before their paintjobs got super awesome and fadey.

Maybe one day, when I have the space, I'll have to buy one - though maybe meeting your childhood heroes isn't a good idea.....

That looks (to me) like a superb MTB in an dreadful "Halfords £99 Bike" scheme.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7436 on: 16 October, 2014, 10:23:58 am »
Exactly.
Getting there...

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #7437 on: 16 October, 2014, 10:50:34 am »
When put in context of the clothing of the era, it was a pretty understated paint job in reality (but, yes, it took until about 1992/3 before the Klein paint jobs got really good). 

Right! What's next?

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #7438 on: 17 October, 2014, 12:39:50 am »

I remember, back in my MTB racing days, lusting after the Kleins, purely for the paintwork.  Then again I also lusted after the Whyte PRS-1, the PACE square tubed MTBs and the proper Gary Fisher MTBs (not the Trek made ones).

Oi!
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #7439 on: 17 October, 2014, 12:15:28 pm »

Oi!
If it's any consolation, your (formerly mine) 229 pre-dates the Trek buyout.

Sad to say, the only standout thing about Gary Fisher these days is his moustache ...

« Reply #7440 on: 17 October, 2014, 02:01:53 pm »

Rode a few at The Malverns MTB race thing in '92 or '93. Brutal things.
And if you lusted after a GT Zaskar with Manitous back in the day, again, brutal.

Old steel Konas and Oranges from back in the day on the other hand...

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #7441 on: 17 October, 2014, 02:27:33 pm »

My pride and joy was a proper steel Marin.  Columbus steel, a gorgeous metallic green colour with clashing orange bits (forks mainly but other bits were orange (when I bought it).  Those were the days :)
Rode a few at The Malverns MTB race thing in '92 or '93. Brutal things.
And if you lusted after a GT Zaskar with Manitous back in the day, again, brutal.

Old steel Konas and Oranges from back in the day on the other hand...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #7442 on: 18 October, 2014, 09:12:57 pm »
Oops!

Unless I'm mistaken, TVR sell that flip-flop paint in 'petrol' colours for ~£500.00/ ltr  :o
@PaulR:
 you appear to change bikes more often than I change socks.
Just sayin'.....

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #7443 on: 18 October, 2014, 09:25:42 pm »
Oops!

Unless I'm mistaken, TVR sell that flip-flop paint in 'petrol' colours for ~£500.00/ ltr  :o
@PaulR:
Just sayin'.....

That is so pretty.  My daughter's mountainbike was that colour when she was about ten.
Milk please, no sugar.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #7444 on: 18 October, 2014, 09:33:16 pm »
The last thing I saw with that paint was a fiesta - it was upside down in the middle of the road on Friday. Hope the bike does better as it's a pretty effect :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #7445 on: 18 October, 2014, 10:04:40 pm »
Those Klein paintjobs are lovely - I've lusted after Quantums for sale from time to time as well. Most modern bikes are fairly uninspiring, paint-wise. Though Mercian do a very pretty purple/green flip/flop finish, too.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #7446 on: 18 October, 2014, 10:25:10 pm »
IMG_2008a by windy_, on Flickr

IMG_2011a by windy_, on Flickr

IMG_2012a by windy_, on Flickr

Upturned Mary bars fitted and hub dyno all connected and winter fettling done :)

« Reply #7447 on: 19 October, 2014, 12:13:14 pm »
@PaulR:
Just sayin'.....

Well, it's a matter of spotting opportunities, making mistakes, learning a bit as I go along, losing money, winding up Mrs R...

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #7448 on: 19 October, 2014, 12:32:52 pm »
It's appeared in the fixed gallery, but here it is with my regular geared bike as well.

Tempo and Fratello to match each other (the Tempo does have a more aggressive position currently).

Right! What's next?

« Reply #7449 on: 23 October, 2014, 07:10:32 pm »

Excuse me while I have a little moment  ;)