Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2430063 times)

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #1275 on: 24 March, 2009, 11:36:14 am »

What is going on with the saddle on the fixer?!!! I've not seen that before - you've surpassed the hideousness of the yellow bar tape you used to have on the Rando with that one!!! It is 2009  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #1276 on: 24 March, 2009, 11:44:38 am »
That's a Jan Ullrich signature Selle Italia Turbomatic 3 saddle - pure class mate! ;) 20 quid at a jumble (new and unused). I've not made my mind up yet whether it stays or not - the Turbomatic 2 seen on the Rando is very comfortable.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #1277 on: 25 March, 2009, 05:54:10 pm »
Introducing Son of Oscar

The story goes like this ...

Back in 2005 I bought Oscar the Orbea. 

He is a smashing bike but the wrong choice for me, I should have got a frame that would take a rack and mudguards.  I couldn't justify buying a completely new bike so came up with the idea of getting a new or second hand frame and swapping over Oscar's Shimano Sora components.  A few weeks back Blah of this parish was enthusing about his new Ribble frame (c£130 including carbon forks).  This was the answer I was looking for and out came the credit card.

I have never built a bike before and am not known for my technical aptitude.  I have to say, the build went very well and I am delighted with the result.  I had some much appreciated help from good people here and my dad wielding a large hammer and spanner was needed to remove the bottom bracket.

I am particularly pleased with the Brooks B17 Imperial ...

And the brass bell from Freshtripe purveyors of some beautiful retro and fixie gear

So Son of Oscar is off on his first proper ride this Friday night

« Reply #1278 on: 25 March, 2009, 09:24:11 pm »
Here's my Pogliaghi, a bit of a mashup of fancy crimped columbus tubing, 105/DA transmission and pedals, second hand wheels and a very comfy seat.

I love it.

« Reply #1279 on: 25 March, 2009, 09:45:34 pm »
Here's my Pogliaghi, a bit of a mashup of fancy crimped columbus tubing, 105/DA transmission and pedals, second hand wheels and a very comfy seat.

I love it.

I'm not sure why, but i really like that. Always lots of nice on here, but that strikes a chord for me.

« Reply #1280 on: 25 March, 2009, 10:33:10 pm »

Very tidy Erron  :)

« Reply #1281 on: 26 March, 2009, 08:31:32 am »

I love it.

I like it too, bar the saddle.  :thumbsup:
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #1282 on: 26 March, 2009, 10:20:23 pm »

I love it.

I like it too, bar the saddle.  :thumbsup:

Would a San Marco Rolls cheer you up?  Or a blue suede Selle Italia Turbo?

Chris N

« Reply #1283 on: 27 March, 2009, 09:09:26 am »
My new fix:

Built up for LEL.  Best get some miles in on it, make sure it's comfy.

« Reply #1284 on: 27 March, 2009, 09:18:14 am »
Very tastefully done Chris N - like it :thumbsup:

« Reply #1285 on: 27 March, 2009, 10:39:14 am »
Nice and minimalistic.  Suits you sir.

alan

« Reply #1286 on: 27 March, 2009, 11:32:46 am »
That's v.v. nice Chris.
Are you keeping the Roadrat?

Chris N

« Reply #1287 on: 27 March, 2009, 11:45:03 am »
Thanks chaps, I'm rather pleased with it.  It's fast too.

Nice and minimalistic.  Suits you sir.

Plenty of crap* left to strap to it yet, don't you worry.  I'll definitely be keeping the Roadrat too - that's about to have some fatter knobbly tyres fitted to it for HONC.

*tri bars, HRM, GPS, lights, tri bag, big saddlebag, etc., etc.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #1288 on: 27 March, 2009, 09:14:40 pm »
Pimp My Ride

My mate's just given me a new saddle for my favourite bike.  :thumbsup:

Just how tasteful is that, eh?  8) ;D
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #1289 on: 27 March, 2009, 09:47:49 pm »
Lovely. 653? Looks like early Campagnolo Ergo as well.

« Reply #1290 on: 27 March, 2009, 09:51:10 pm »
Nice looking bike Eck, I'd like one like that

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #1291 on: 27 March, 2009, 09:54:47 pm »
 :-[
Cheers Rhys W and Marksmiles. Yes 653, my only custom frame, November 1996. Was all Chorus, but I replaced the chainset and mechs with Racing Triple when they relaxed the mudguard rule for audaxes.
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #1292 on: 28 March, 2009, 01:05:32 am »
Colour coded well mate.   :thumbsup:  Looks too nice to ride.  I suggest you just look at it for a month  ;D

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1293 on: 29 March, 2009, 03:19:24 pm »
After its excursion on Friday night, and with the clocks changing, I converted the hub-geared bike to summer mode.  No lights:

It wasn't actually very messy (London dirt isn't as white as Swindon dirt) so I just gave the Sturmey AM a shot of oil as an apology for the stupid torque it had to endure up Chinnor Hill, and Proofided the Brooks.

And I hung up the dynamo wheel until the Dun Run.  Or the next Oxford-London jaunt, anyway.  When you have a Sturmey on the back, a track hub isn't any disadvantage because you always have a spanner with you.  Hopefully.

Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Chris S

« Reply #1294 on: 29 March, 2009, 08:51:14 pm »
My My RZ - that is one tight chain. Almost like you cranked it up to top C on the violin before you took the pic, knowing where you'd be posting it....

;)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1295 on: 29 March, 2009, 09:08:05 pm »
Actually, it's not fixie-tight, and isn't supposed to be.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #1296 on: 30 March, 2009, 10:27:19 am »
I'm going to have a bash at TTs this season and my road bike has a comfortably long head tube leaving me about as aero as an outside privy, and planet X had a sale on, so it seemed a good excuse for an N+1 moment:

need to get:
 - pimpy front wheel
 - pointy helmet

& most importantly:
 - about 2 stone lighter and much more flexible, so I can drop the front a bit :)

Will post comical pics of me actually riding the beast when I can, then you can all take the piss.  ::-)

« Reply #1297 on: 30 March, 2009, 10:45:40 am »
Ooh, lovely. Nice PowerTap too...

Wassat semi-clear plastic thing in a black cage thing on the downtube? Don't usually see them on TT bikes. ;)

After n+1 (Ribble Scuro HCX) arrives, next year's tax free (n+1)+1 will probably be a similar TT bike. I wonder if I can sneak a PowerTap wheel into the spec for a Cyclescheme bike...
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Chris S

« Reply #1298 on: 30 March, 2009, 11:59:50 am »
Can you get a fag paper between that back wheel and the frame?  :o

Things will come to an abrupt halt if your back tyre picks up, say - a sticky, tarry bit of road grit, surely?

« Reply #1299 on: 30 March, 2009, 12:08:35 pm »
;D it's not as bad as all that, the angle of the photo is slightly misleading - there's probably a couple of mm...   

I tried it for the first time yesterday, it feels like I'm a lot further forward than normal, with my head right over the brake caliper.  Really quite scary...