Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2469112 times)

gordon taylor

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #2725 on: 06 March, 2010, 03:41:17 pm »
Very nicely done, Gordy  :) Well thought out. Nitto rack works well on the canti mounts, very neat. Expensive lighting setup for a station bike - security QR skewers might be worth considering?

Thanks. the bike looks really good in a quaint way.

I wondered long and hard about using my once-expensive components. In the end I just decided that these things were better off in daily use than getting scratched in a dusty box. Much of the transmission has been to Barcelona and Niagara Falls... the racks have been up the Pacific Highway and round the North Sea amongst other places, and it is good to see them passed on, as it were.

The only thing I'd be annoyed about losing to a station thief is the dynohub. I've fitted allen key skewers and all the bolt heads are filled with plastic metal stuff. A thief is unlikely to consider a tiny ladies shopper as an attractive target, so I've just got my fingers crossed really.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #2726 on: 06 March, 2010, 03:51:08 pm »
Excellent build up, Gordy, does you proud. Bikes like this have a bit of soul in them. I hope your daughter appreciates.
I must say you have a fantastic spares box for it to contain both a dynohub and a Solidlights !!!

« Reply #2727 on: 06 March, 2010, 05:15:49 pm »
Gordy,
I bet you are well satisfied with that.  I trust she will have a decent lock for the stay at the station too?

clifftaylor

• Max - "make mine a Beophar Hairball Paste please"
« Reply #2728 on: 06 March, 2010, 05:40:00 pm »
Yep, 6 months of riding the Pompino probably make the Cannondale extra special too!!

Which version do you have Frenchie?? I'm seriously considering a Cannondale caad9 Tiagra as the 'ospital has restarted Bike2work, and at 1000 of your English pounds there's a definite lack of bikes that don't appear to have been designed by a teenage boy. And my Ribble is, to be honest, an Ugly Thing, but does have 105 bits which could be swapped over.

« Reply #2729 on: 08 March, 2010, 09:24:44 am »
Yep, 6 months of riding the Pompino probably make the Cannondale extra special too!!

Which version do you have Frenchie?? I'm seriously considering a Cannondale caad9 Tiagra as the 'ospital has restarted Bike2work, and at 1000 of your English pounds there's a definite lack of bikes that don't appear to have been designed by a teenage boy. And my Ribble is, to be honest, an Ugly Thing, but does have 105 bits which could be swapped over.

I bought the 105. Evans gave me 10% off due to my membership cards and the 0% APR 12-month payment deal. A really, really nice package.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

rdaviesb

« Reply #2730 on: 08 March, 2010, 09:28:18 am »
IFrom the pile of bits in the garage: Marathon+ tyres, Open Sport rims, SON dynohub, Nitto racks F&R, Dura Ace rear mech, Ultegra cranks, BB and 9-speed cassette. V brakes, chain, pedals, saddle, seatpost, Solidlight front, Cateye rear, mudguards, basket!

That's a wonderful pile of spares! Dura ace on a bike with a basket is a fantastic combination. It's a really, really nice bike.  8)

« Reply #2731 on: 08 March, 2010, 10:55:42 am »
It's still a work in progress, but should be completed this week or next - just need to swap components from current bike (Chorus 2008 goupset) and set up. First big TT event for me is in 3 weeks time! Hoping this machine will help me improve on last years time, if it doesn't, something somewhere has gone seriously wrong! ;)

« Reply #2732 on: 08 March, 2010, 10:58:16 am »
I quite like your wallpaper.
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

gordon taylor

« Reply #2733 on: 08 March, 2010, 11:01:00 am »

I have another cute little wicker basket that would fit nicely on to those sticky out bits.

Handy for nipping to the shops?

;D ;)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2734 on: 08 March, 2010, 11:02:35 am »
Could you turn the volume doen on the wheels, please?

btw, are they Zipps?  I can't really tell... :P
Getting there...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2735 on: 08 March, 2010, 11:20:31 am »
Excellent build up, Gordy, does you proud.

+1

Daughter is very lucky. Hope she appreciates what a well set-up machine she has there.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2736 on: 08 March, 2010, 11:34:51 am »
Well it certainly looks ZoomZoom Tokamak :thumbsup:
To improve on previous times can I suggest thst it would be beneficial to fit some pedals :demon:
well somebody had to say it innit?

& the £ of those wheels could have bought you a c....oh,never no mind ;)

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #2737 on: 08 March, 2010, 11:39:24 am »
Very nice, токамак.
But is it any faster than that Dave Yates you bought last summer?  :-\
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #2738 on: 08 March, 2010, 12:08:38 pm »
Very nice, токамак.
But is it any faster than that Dave Yates you bought last summer?  :-\

You know, I was actually thinking this morning that if the weather is crappy for any of the club evening tens this year, I'll just take the Dave Yates rather than get this one mucky. At least I'd register a time and get some points! ;)

« Reply #2739 on: 08 March, 2010, 12:13:33 pm »
It's still a work in progress

Very cool  :)

« Reply #2740 on: 08 March, 2010, 01:23:03 pm »
To improve on previous times can I suggest thst it would be beneficial to fit some pedals :demon:

That bad boy looks so fast I don't think he actually needs pedals!!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #2741 on: 08 March, 2010, 01:56:09 pm »
It's still a work in progress, but should be completed this week or next - just need to swap components from current bike (Chorus 2008 goupset) and set up. First big TT event for me is in 3 weeks time! Hoping this machine will help me improve on last years time, if it doesn't, something somewhere has gone seriously wrong! ;)

Those wheels must've been quite an investment! I've always thought as you that a bike / parts that nice are only for the good weather days, in which case I would've been tempted to go for the very deep (100mm?) rim on the front and a disc on the back. Hell, a second hand HED disc probably would've been cheaper than one of those Zipps!

« Reply #2742 on: 08 March, 2010, 01:58:31 pm »

That bad boy looks so fast I don't think he actually needs pedals!!
He's entering the British Hobby Horse Championships

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #2743 on: 08 March, 2010, 03:41:29 pm »
Very nice Tokamak  :thumbsup:  Bradley Wiggins was dq'd for using a zipp 1080 as a front wheel.
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

« Reply #2744 on: 08 March, 2010, 04:22:21 pm »
Well it certainly looks ZoomZoom Tokamak :thumbsup:
well somebody had to say it innit?

Actually what I expected someone to say was:

"Chains a bit... erm... missing..."
Actually, it is rocket science.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2745 on: 08 March, 2010, 05:48:38 pm »
you just did

« Reply #2746 on: 08 March, 2010, 09:12:36 pm »

He's entering the British Hobby Horse Championships

You think it doesn't happen?

:o :o :o

(The one in the deerstalker lives in our village)
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2747 on: 08 March, 2010, 09:24:10 pm »
Cool mags.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #2748 on: 08 March, 2010, 09:25:01 pm »
Now I know where Obree got his inspiration for the Superman position.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #2749 on: 08 March, 2010, 09:57:40 pm »

Wot no chain tattoos?
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup: