Author Topic: Arras cathedral  (Read 3655 times)

Arras cathedral
« on: 27 February, 2015, 01:46:30 pm »
Visited Arras last summer and was very impressed by the cathedral. It was almost completely destroyed by bombing in the last world war, but has been rebuilt into an amzing space. It is, in fact, cathedralesque - being a place of huge size - for once awesome is an appropriate description, wonderful light and actually one of peace as well. A small set of pictures from the visit.

Mike

Re: Arras cathedral
« Reply #1 on: 27 February, 2015, 02:04:36 pm »
Very nice!
Is it there where there is a story of a wooden crucifix lifted from the rubble by a British Soldier who later returned it?

Arras is a lovely place and I have a customer nearby that allows me to visit there a couple of times a year.  There's a lot of history notably WW1 and if you haven't visited Vimy Ridge I well recommend a visit.  Someday I want to do the Arras tunnels.
The big pity is that many Brits in particular probably pass by en-route to somewhere else .... and Picardy/Artois region has so much to offer.
Occasionally I take my bike and there's great quiet, smooth-surfaced lanes aplenty.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #2 on: 27 February, 2015, 02:04:59 pm »
It is a beautiful building.

I'd love to have seen the original pre-Revolution cathedral as well.  The plans of it show that it was quite a spectacular edifice.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #3 on: 27 February, 2015, 02:10:22 pm »
The big pity is that many Brits in particular probably pass by en-route to somewhere else

Yep , did that myself last week, on way to/from the Alps. Saw the signs and kept on going.
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: 28 February, 2015, 10:12:23 am »
Lovely tones.
Getting there...

« Reply #5 on: 28 February, 2015, 10:36:46 am »
The big pity is that many Brits in particular probably pass by en-route to somewhere else

Yep , did that myself last week, on way to/from the Alps. Saw the signs and kept on going.
Well next time ....

« Reply #6 on: 28 February, 2015, 12:51:49 pm »
If you are ever on the N1, stop off and see Beauvais Cathedral, that's astonishing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beauvais_Cathedral

« Reply #7 on: 28 February, 2015, 03:28:10 pm »
Visited Arras last summer and was very impressed by the cathedral. It was almost completely destroyed by bombing in the last world war, but has been rebuilt into an amzing space. It is, in fact, cathedralesque - being a place of huge size - for once awesome is an appropriate description, wonderful light and actually one of peace as well. A small set of pictures from the visit.

Mike

Those pictures look remarkably like my elbow. Oh. Damn.

« Reply #8 on: 01 March, 2015, 07:13:05 pm »
Cheers all. I've visited Beauvais, but not the cathedral. Next time. Since we moved back north and had the girls we've not managed the sort of weekend to France that we used to, but we're going back again this summer and have a few loose plans for holidays further afield over the next 2 or 3 years. Still 'need' a trip to the hebrides (inner or outer) each year.