Author Topic: Sunday 4pm ?  (Read 3662 times)

BeMoreMike

• Tries often, fails frequently.
Sunday 4pm ?
« on: 11 July, 2018, 12:37:35 am »
If /when ::-) our overachieving football team win tomorrow night they'll be involved in another significant match on Sunday afternoon.

Where will you be ?

I'm doing the New Border Raid 600 so might not even be in the country. I've just been doing some rough guesstimates on how Sunday might pan out, at worst I'll be somewhere between Melrose and Kelso, at best I could be back over the border heading towards Alnwick.

Wherever I am, I doubt i'll have good enough 4G coverage to strap my phone to my bars and attempt to watch it. The best I can hope for is to build enough time in hand to risk a 2 hours stop (unlikely at my pace), and probably too difficult to time it to be in a pub for kickoff. At least doing a 600 I can consider this...if I'd entered a 200 on Sunday i'd be resigned to missing the match (or definitely being a DNF !!)

Or i just attempt to listen on the Radio. 

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Sunday 4pm ?
« Reply #1 on: 11 July, 2018, 07:50:33 am »
I may be manning the HQ of the Barbury Bash rides

- but only if my relief doesn't arrive in time :)

If I'm free I'll be watching the match, whoever is in it. It's the feckin WORLD CUP FINAL.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #2 on: 11 July, 2018, 09:26:52 am »
On a ferry coming back from the Irish youth track nationals in Dublin

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3 on: 11 July, 2018, 09:30:09 am »
Why don't you just enjoy the empty roads? You can always watch the highlights of the football but those empty roads are to be savoured live.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

BeMoreMike

« Reply #4 on: 11 July, 2018, 10:11:28 am »
If I'm free I'll be watching the match, whoever is in it. It's the feckin WORLD CUP FINAL.

My sentiments exactly. However this Sunday it ain't gonna work for me.

Where was you when England won the world cup ?...."On the B6351, tired, bored and full of hayfever !!"

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #5 on: 11 July, 2018, 10:22:42 am »
I'm going to be in the middle of a tour of europe - I'm going to find a nice spot in Arnhem to watch the game :)
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

BeMoreMike

« Reply #6 on: 11 July, 2018, 10:24:50 am »
Why don't you just enjoy the empty roads? You can always watch the highlights of the football but those empty roads are to be savoured live.

Empty roads aren't usually too difficult find on a Sunday afternoon, especially around the Scottish Borders....but England being in the World Cup Final is unimaginable.

My ride might end near Newcastle, but I honestly can't see me being able to copy The Likely Lads and avoid the result until the evening !!

« Reply #7 on: 11 July, 2018, 12:29:34 pm »
But you could have the A1 to yourself south of Alnwick :)

simonp

« Reply #8 on: 11 July, 2018, 12:33:37 pm »
Racing at Llandaff Regatta.

« Reply #9 on: 11 July, 2018, 12:37:48 pm »
The New Border Raid also goes very close to Turnberry, so pack your lightweight racing placard... https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/main-players/scotland-against-trump-where-are-protests-against-president-s-visit-taking-place-1-4766082

« Reply #10 on: 11 July, 2018, 12:43:39 pm »
Where was you when England won the world cup?

On the B4501 in North Wales.

(Sorry, off topic.)

whosatthewheel

« Reply #11 on: 11 July, 2018, 05:40:41 pm »
What do you mean? The final for the third place in on saturday...  ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 11 July, 2018, 05:46:24 pm »
I expect I'll be lying in a glycogen-depleted[1] heap in Betteshanger, and feeling even less enthusiastic about sport than usual.

[1] Or possibly skin-depleted, depending on how well it goes.

« Reply #13 on: 11 July, 2018, 06:00:13 pm »
I am also on The Border Raid.
Pubs found at:
563 Alnwick
578 - Left off route
599 - Morpeth

Or maybe have a break on the roadside and hope I have had built enough of a time buffer

j_a_m_e_s_

• Prisoner 17091
    • AUK results
« Reply #14 on: 11 July, 2018, 06:08:01 pm »
Aaargh - Why did I think it was 1900 kick off time? I thought I was gonna be sitting in a pub in Poole, having successfuly finished my Wessex SR series.

Now it seems I'll be on Stage 4 of Hardboiled, somewhere between Axminster and Cattistock.

I dare not think of stopping too long, but I suppose it would be a prudent move to replenish fluids and electrolytes in the form of a pint of coke and a bag of salted peanuts for 45mins in Cattistock.

Rule 77

« Reply #15 on: 11 July, 2018, 06:38:01 pm »
I don't know what the problem is.  I'm sure you'll get to hear how it went.  If you want to watch it, just record the match.  Good luck on being able to "look away now" if you want to keep the result a surprise.

« Reply #16 on: 11 July, 2018, 09:36:05 pm »
Well, it doesn't matter now, so you can do your own thing at 4:00PM. Simple thing is that Croatia were the better team on the day.

« Reply #17 on: 11 July, 2018, 10:04:21 pm »
Yup, a lot of problems and dilemmas just sorted themselves out
https://creweandnantwichaudax.wordpress.com/ - See the Audax events I currently organise

www.milehousebarn.co.uk - Cycle Friendly B&B in Nantwich, Chehsire

« Reply #18 on: 11 July, 2018, 10:28:38 pm »
I made pre-emptive arrangements for the New Border Raid arrivee@Kirkley. Satellite dish, patio mount and bring my own HD telly. Will be carrying it through for sub 34 hour riders who would like to relax with a beer and watch Croatia vs. France.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #19 on: 11 July, 2018, 10:45:28 pm »
Aaargh - Why did I think it was 1900 kick off time? I thought I was gonna be sitting in a pub in Poole, having successfuly finished my Wessex SR series.

Now it seems I'll be on Stage 4 of Hardboiled, somewhere between Axminster and Cattistock.

I dare not think of stopping too long, but I suppose it would be a prudent move to replenish fluids and electrolytes in the form of a pint of coke and a bag of salted peanuts for 45mins in Cattistock.
I saw  a chp rding round (rural) South Oxon today with massive headphones. There's your answer- just keep them on as you pop into pubs for "fluids and electrolytes".

[Suggested Playlist: Lightning Seeds, New Order, ... etc ...]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

BeMoreMike

« Reply #20 on: 12 July, 2018, 10:54:49 am »
I'll admit to having a slight feeling of relief at yesterdays result.

I made pre-emptive arrangements for the New Border Raid arrivee@Kirkley. Satellite dish, patio mount and bring my own HD telly. Will be carrying it through for sub 34 hour riders who would like to relax with a beer and watch Croatia vs. France.

Sub 34hrs ? I think you can count me out of that.

...but most definitely looking forward to the arrivee/beer/relax ect  8)

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #21 on: 12 July, 2018, 04:35:25 pm »
I may be manning the HQ of the Barbury Bash rides

- but only if my relief doesn't arrive in time :)

Forgot to say; at 7pm we'll be watching The Handlebards!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #22 on: 12 July, 2018, 04:44:05 pm »

The Handlebards https://www.handlebards.com/
are brilliant. Best to get to the venue early, audiences are getting bigger every year.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #23 on: 13 July, 2018, 06:03:23 pm »
I should have just finished the Devils Punchbowl 200 and so can look forward to quieter roads than usual on the way back to Selsey.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)