Author Topic: Old Bagger's walking trip - Pembrokeshire Coastal Path - 14/6 - 2/7 2018  (Read 18397 times)

I have now obtained the Harvey map of the entire route.
There appears to be no shortage of campsites, all reasonably close to the path.

If there are no objections I'd like to join you for the full two weeks.  ;D

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
That would be splendid, Del!

I had a natter to my brother the other day. He knows a thing or two - certainly more than I do - about long-distance walking. He is a very fit 72 and is planning a walk around the same time as we are, but a different bit of Wales.

He considers that the sort of daily distance we are proposing, with backpack, to be “ambitious”
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

He considers that the sort of daily distance we are proposing, with backpack, to be “ambitious”
If that's the case there are occasional buses that, AIUI, run up and down parts, if not the whole, of the route. If buses are not what we want to do then we could cut it short and complete it another time.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
6 or 7 year old knowledge.  There was a little bus that runs the whole route.  (Or more likely, 2 buses that converge on St David's from opposite ends)

Be aware that your English Old Bugger's bus passes will not be valid in Wales.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
We English old buggers are not old enough for bus passes yet.

When we were there last year, at about the same time of year, there was a bus called the Puffin Shuttle or some such, which seemed to follow the coast road all along its journey.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Ah yes. That's the one.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Buses, what is this talk of buses :facepalm:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Just a navigational aid, cap’n. ..

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
In other news, I have ordered a pair of Altberg Tetheras in a size 13. I am finding it a lot more difficult to find a pair of “trainer-style” walking shoes in a 13 to replace the Salomons I am currently wearing out.

Time to start some "full kit training" me thinks.

Do you just ballast your rucksack and go for a walk or will you pack it with as much of the year that you intend to use as possible?  A few nights out as well perhaps?

I tend to pack with all the kit that I would usually carry.
It gives me the opportunity to fine tune the routine for convenient access.

I watch this with interest.
Anecdata alert.

Around 20 years ago myself and an old school friend planned a circular walk in the Brecon Beacons.
Over a weekend we planned to cover around 20 miles, carrying the food we needed as well as the kit for one night's camping before returning to my car the following day.
To be fair, unlike your costal path walk, we weren't following a path, but were going cross-country using OS maps and a compass.

What we hadn't counted on was how difficult and challenging the terrain would be underfoot. Really, really difficult to make any progress on what, in skiing terms, would be described as mini-moguls, of which there was no evidence on the contour lines of a map.
Added to which, the weather turned on us, delivering torrential rain courtesy of a howling gale, and although we were well equipped and protected from the weather, it exacerbated the already difficult time we were having with the terrain.
When it became obvious that we weren't going to make our planned bivouac site by nightfall, the map came out and we started to consider a plan B.
We figured that if we were to descend the mountain immediately from our current location, we had a chance of making it to a small lake we'd spotted, where there would be a supply of water, and some flat terrain on which to pitch our tent.
The descent was perilous, with the weather not really letting up until we reached the lake, where we pitched the tent, cooked and ate some food and promptly fell asleep exhausted. We'd very obviously had enough that day.

The following morning, we returned to where I'd left my car parked. We were surprised how little time it took us to get there, given that we'd spent the best part of the previous day walking.
When we checked the map, it turned out that by the time we'd reached our plan B lakeside camping spot, we'd walked a grand total of just under four miles.
Less than half of the mileage we had planned for the first day.

The point of this story?
I think we were both quite shocked as to how badly we'd underestimated our capabilities. Neither of us were inexperienced hill-walkers or campers, although it was the first time that we'd combined the two, and also the first time that we'd gone cross-country rather than follow a trodden path.

I'm familiar with bits of the Pembrokshire coastal path, and have camped along it a couple of times when returning from Ireland.
If the weather holds up for you, I'm sure you'll have a cracking time.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Garmin?  Bloody hell.  When my son and I did it we had no need for such.  We just followed the path, signs, not walking into the sea, not moving too far from it.  We didn't even have maps for a large part.
If in doubt,  keep left.   :thumbsup:

I like to record a little dotted line on the map. Keeping the sea on our left is all we need to do, but being a social meeja whore, I do like to let my entourage know where I am.  :D
There was a bloke who planned to circumnavigate Great Britain in a Small Boat using the "keep the coast on the right/starboard" method. He managed a Several of laps of the Isle of Sheppey before he was told to stop/gave up.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Garmin?  Bloody hell.  When my son and I did it we had no need for such.  We just followed the path, signs, not walking into the sea, not moving too far from it.  We didn't even have maps for a large part.
If in doubt,  keep left.   :thumbsup:

I like to record a little dotted line on the map. Keeping the sea on our left is all we need to do, but being a social meeja whore, I do like to let my entourage know where I am.  :D
There was a bloke who planned to circumnavigate Great Britain in a Small Boat using the "keep the coast on the right/starboard" method. He managed a Several of laps of the Isle of Sheppey before he was told to stop/gave up.

Passing under the road bridge the second time should've really been his clue-bat. No?

I tend to pack with all the kit that I would usually carry.
It gives me the opportunity to fine tune the routine for convenient access.

I'd be very interested to see what kit you use and how it all packs.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
I am nowhere near walking with kit. I am just going out for walks. I have had a couple of 9 mile days recently, in which the main walk was about 6 miles and the rest just bits and pieces. I really need to start walking in the Danbury area, where there are lots of steepish footpaths in the vicinity of The Mighty North Hill.

How do you get fit for hill walking when you live in flat East Anglia?

Some hints and tips here...
http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=36060.0

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=580056&Y=186163&A=Y&Z=120

That's pretty steep around Hadleigh Country Park. If it's steep enough for Olympic mountain biking, then I reckon it's steep enough for me!

The hills in Pembrokeshire are not high (unless you go inland to the Preselly Mountains). On the coast I doubt that we will ever be more than 300' up. A lot of the roads are 1 in 6. I know this as I have cycled them with full camping kit.

That's pretty steep around Hadleigh Country Park. If it's steep enough for Olympic mountain biking, then I reckon it's steep enough for me!
I'd recommend the Parkrun course there. It's tough!
http://www.parkrun.org.uk/hadleigh/course/
Plenty of up and down and very little in the way of flat and easy to turn into a loop and repeat it.  :demon:
After you Wow...
I'll be heading that way after the snow and before Easter.

It will be a lot tougher than you are thinking. The Newgale to Fishguard section was the toughest 5 days of walking I have ever done and that includes the Eiger Trail. Lovely scenery especially around Stumble but so many ups and downs that sap legs towards the end of the day.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
I'd recommend the Parkrun course there. It's tough!
http://www.parkrun.org.uk/hadleigh/course/
Plenty of up and down and very little in the way of flat and easy to turn into a loop and repeat it.  :demon:
After you Wow...
I'll be heading that way after the snow and before Easter.

I don't think I will be running anywhere. But I am perfectly happy to walk the route a few times.

Have you taken delivery of your new boots yet Wow.
I am just about to go and play in the snow, 10kms of Nordic walking around the local lanes.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
No - another 2 to 4 weeks yet.

I have been walking about in my "old" boots. They are quite comfortable and not that old, but they were cheap "Higear" ones - Go Outdoors' own brand. That was all they had in my size when I needed some.

I am gradually upping my distance and, as Del suggests, will be adding hills once this sodding weather improves. Notwithstanding Bikepacker's dire warning of the fate that awaits us, there is no shortage of short, steep hills in Hadleigh Castle Park. They rise from sea level to about 200' very abruptly, without actually being cliffs. That's the best I can do without travelling huge distances by car, and if I manage 3 or 4 6-mile walks a week in the month leading up to our departure then that's the best I will be able to do.

http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=580040&Y=186245&A=Y&Z=120

Park near Leigh Station and head along the footpath up to the castle and then do half a dozen circumnavigations of the bit where the arrow is. Lots of contours there.