Author Topic: Chelmsford to Southwold 140208 Starting 0800 anyone want to join me?  (Read 2832 times)

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
Hi everyone, been a lurker for a while and enjoy the vibe of the forum, registered this week to hopefully contribute something.

Over half term we, me the Mrs and kids, are staying in Southwold for a few days, I thought I'd ride there for some cheeky miles and back on Tuesday 17th the reverse route (downhill obviously).

I propose to go via:
Hatfield Peveral
Wickham Bishops
Tiptree
Colchester
A137 to Manningtree
Holbrook
through Ipswich and straight out the top
Wickham Market
Leiston
Walberswick and across the bridge to Southwold.

I calculate this at 85 miles, I'll be hoping for 15-16 mph and stops when I see a decent cafe, I'll have food for me with me aswell.

I'd be very glad of some company for any part and for any advice over the route, anyone who arrives at Southwold with me I'll buy a pint at the Harbour Inn.

If the weather is really wet or icy I won't do it, sorry I'm not so rufty tufty.

Re: Chelmsford to Southwold 140208 Starting 0800 anyone want to join me?
« Reply #1 on: 07 February, 2009, 06:22:00 pm »
Welcome !   Sorry, I won't be joining you (aiming to do the Surrey Hilly 50 that day).

However, one tip, when you get to the Harbour Inn, if the fish pie catches your eye, don't have it if it's got a Smash topping !   It happens occasionally and is quite revolting.
Rust never sleeps

bloomers100

« Reply #2 on: 11 February, 2009, 06:49:22 pm »
Favourable weather forecast..well, dry and above freezing.
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ee/chelmsford_forecast_weather.html

« Reply #3 on: 12 February, 2009, 03:36:32 pm »
Hello there! I'm a Chelmsfordian - Broomfield in fact, so pretty close you, but I'm going to be busy on Saturday morning and won't be able to join you this time. Good luck with it - I've ventured into Suffolk a few times, and if you can plan your route using the country lanes it should be a very pleasant ride.

bloomers100

« Reply #4 on: 12 February, 2009, 06:44:42 pm »
Yes we've met at the Chelmer.

Jezza

« Reply #5 on: 12 February, 2009, 07:07:44 pm »
There's some nice country lanes but lots of water on them at the moment. Don't know what route you're planning but I normally head from Woodbridge through Melton, then into Ufford. At Ufford go straight through the village up the hill heading for Loudham Hall, up Lower Ufford Lane - very quiet single track lanes, all the way to Campsea Ashe. That'll take you to Blaxhall, then on to Snape. From Snape you have a choice. Rather than head along the A1094 to Aldeburgh, you can go straight over the crossroads to Sternfield, then through Saxmundham. At Carlton take a right down one of the lanes which will bring you out near Theberton. From there you'll be back on the 'main' road for a bit heading from Westleton up to Walberswick. I have an MTB so road surface doesn't trouble me - all of this is tarmac, but there could be mud and assorted debris about on the lanes.

I'm seriously out of condition at the moment and would only get near 15mph downhill with a tailwind, so not really up for riding with you, but I might be able to pop over to the Harbour Inn to join you. What sort of time do you expect to arrive?   

bloomers100

« Reply #6 on: 12 February, 2009, 09:57:21 pm »
Since OP I'm fancying Rendlesham, Tunstall, Snape mainly cos I'm familiar with them then Friston, Leiston, Westleton. I reckon on being at the Harbour Inn around 1430, good point about the roads being mucky.

Do you think your suggestion will be 'cleaner' than mine?

annie

« Reply #7 on: 12 February, 2009, 10:36:03 pm »
A wonderful part of the world for cycling.  Is a bit white at the moment though.  I ride those roads frequently in the summer. 

Good luck and enjoy.

That reminds me, I must organise an off road session with Jezza.

« Reply #8 on: 13 February, 2009, 09:16:52 am »
Yes we've met at the Chelmer.

Ahh *light goes on in head*, I think I remember now...

Jezza

« Reply #9 on: 13 February, 2009, 12:41:13 pm »
Since OP I'm fancying Rendlesham, Tunstall, Snape mainly cos I'm familiar with them then Friston, Leiston, Westleton. I reckon on being at the Harbour Inn around 1430, good point about the roads being mucky.

Do you think your suggestion will be 'cleaner' than mine?

I tend to like things mucky on the MTB, so that route I mentioned will be quite rough. In summer it's lovely though. Rendlesham - Tunstall - Snape - Leiston will be a lot cleaner as it's a busier road.

Unfortunately I think I have to cry off joining you at the Harbour. Since waking up this morning I've got the dreaded scratchy throat and perpetually dripping nose. I'm fed up because it's only been 4 weeks since I got over the last bout of the lurgy. I'd hate to pass it on to you, so probably best if I keep my distance.

Haave a great ride and I hope you have a good time here.     

Jezza

« Reply #10 on: 13 February, 2009, 12:42:50 pm »
That reminds me, I must organise an off road session with Jezza.

We must. Give me a week or two to recover and we'll get something together.

bloomers100

« Reply #11 on: 13 February, 2009, 07:54:04 pm »
No worries Jezza, I will file a report in this thread if I can get a 3G signal. Have a great weekend.

bloomers100

« Reply #12 on: 17 February, 2009, 08:48:32 pm »
Just thought I'd let you know that I'm back. 82 miles door to door.

Rode up on Saturday had a chilly head wind, not dead ahead just slightly to the left most of the time. The ride went okay and the roads I chose were generally quiet. I feel that the signing and road markings through Ipswich seem to infer some previous knowledge, I didn't have any and found myself in the middle of the road when I didn't need to be; also there is a cycle path out to the east of Ipswich through Kesgrave but its bumpy and got quite a lot of gravel etc on it so I stayed on the road to try and keep my speed up.

I was a bit tight with my drinks and grub during the ride and got a bit of cramp in the last five miles. The pint at the Harbour Inn was very welcome and revived me no end for the last bit to the town.

Anyway rode home today the reverse route and felt much stronger but didn't push it too hard cos I was more into time spent riding. I was more generous with my drinks and stopped properly to eat my rolls, this meant I arrived home in a much better state and in the same time for the outward journey.

So all in all some good dry miles in the bank, a few lessons learned and a little bit of peace and quiet alone with my thoughts.  :thumbsup:

annie

« Reply #13 on: 17 February, 2009, 10:05:23 pm »
Well done, sounds wonderful.

I have always chosen a different route through Ipswich to Kesgrave, it isn't a pleasant ride in my opinion.  If you ever ride this way again I can recommend other more pleasant routes.

Look forward to seeing you on a ride soon.

« Reply #14 on: 17 February, 2009, 10:11:03 pm »
I had one of the most delicious pints ever yesterday in the pub opposite the brewery.  :P

bloomers100

« Reply #15 on: 18 February, 2009, 02:45:11 pm »
Small world monsieur, just missed you, that would be the Sole bay Inn.

I have to say on a basic note that ones constitution has been much improved with the addition of a couple of Adnams a day whilst away.

Surprisingly only a bit of neckache today after my efforts (of cycling not p**ing), guess that's something you randoneurs get over as time goes on.

« Reply #16 on: 18 February, 2009, 04:06:38 pm »
I've got 24 bottles of the stuff arriving tomorrow  :P