Author Topic: [LEL17] Summer waterproof booties  (Read 7307 times)

[LEL17] Summer waterproof booties
« on: 17 February, 2017, 05:19:06 pm »
Seems a never ending quest.  Has anyone found lightweight summer (relatively) waterproof booties that dry fairly quickly, suitable for LEL?  I have standard neoprene ones, but they are heavy and bulky, not sure I want to haul them around for 4.5 days.  Or just don't bother with overshoes?

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
Re: Summer waterproof booties
« Reply #2 on: 17 February, 2017, 05:55:15 pm »
I use BBB Waterflex overshoes with a liberal coating of Nikwax (not that is does a *huge* amount of good) all year round.
Currently £13.95 from Wiggle, light enough to take a spare pair if one pair gets too soggy...

« Reply #3 on: 17 February, 2017, 06:08:53 pm »
Unless the rain is of biblical heaviness, don't bother , just wear merino socks.
They keep your feet relatively warm when wet and they dry out quickly.
Also better at night when temperature drops. One less item to carry or faff about with.

https://www.evanscycles.com/defeet-woolie-boolie-2-socks-4-cuff-EV156805

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 17 February, 2017, 06:15:38 pm »
Quick-drying Skintex™ feet in sandals, with merino socks on standby in case it gets cold is the all-weather solution to BRITISH summer.

Merino socks aren't a bad idea in regular bike shoes, either.  Add plastic bags if it gets biblical.

« Reply #5 on: 17 February, 2017, 07:29:07 pm »
These are pretty effective unless it gets biblical and roll up small: https://www.evanscycles.com/endura-fs260-pro-lycra-overshoe-EV202575
The older you get, the better you get, unless you are a banana.

« Reply #6 on: 18 February, 2017, 01:43:48 am »

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 18 February, 2017, 01:09:51 pm »
waterproof socks

Waterproof socks have their uses (they're brilliant for augmenting your SPD sandals to keep your feet warm and dry while hanging around campsites), but I wouldn't want to audax in them.  They're just not breathable enough, and after a couple of hours your sweaty feet and inside of the socks will be a whole new type of smelly.  On the other hand, that's better than cold feet.

They're thicker than normal socks, so without the adjuastability of sandals, shoe tightness may be an issue.

And you also need to avoid water running down your leg and wicking into the sock....

« Reply #8 on: 18 February, 2017, 05:19:30 pm »
In 2013, both of us had lightweight shoecovers in our luggage, but we never used them. Even under pouring rain on day 4, it was  not cold enough to justify a stop for putting on the shoecovers. On the other hand, we were very happy to have arm and leg warmers every  evening.

redfalo

• known as Olaf in the real world
    • Cycling Intelligence
« Reply #9 on: 18 February, 2017, 09:18:47 pm »
I've given up on waterproof overshoes a very long time ago. From my experience, they only really work in combination with waterproof overtrousers, which cover them and prevent  water coming in from the top. And I do not fancy hauling around waterproof trousers in the summer.

Waterproof socks suffer from the same problem during the rain. When its really chucking down, your socks and shoes will get wet. However, I still do carry a pair of  Goretex socks on long rides. Their key use is AFTER the rain, when the shoes are still soaked. Much nicer to ride in wet shoes with Goretex socks, which keep the feet warm and dry, than in normal ones.
If you can't convince, confuse.

https://cycling-intelligence.com/ - my blog on cycling, long distances and short ones

« Reply #10 on: 18 February, 2017, 10:17:30 pm »
I do a lot of scuba diving in the UK which requires a dry suit.
I bought a pair of large dry suit conical wrist seals similar to the ones in the link below.

http://www.ewetsuits.com/acatalog/drysuit-latex-wrist-seal.html?gclid=CKDsm5LVmtICFXYo0wodBDoKWg

You put them on and pull them down over your socks or boots and the water should run off youir legs over the seals and not into the socks or boots.

I have tested them in principle - in the dry in the kitchen to get the sizing right, as you need to trim them so that they are comfortable to wear.
I now need to test them on ride when it is raining.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #11 on: 18 February, 2017, 10:25:16 pm »
Velotoze are great, unless it's very warm, in which case their lack of breathability means you might as well not bother because your feet will get wet from sweating.

Also not so easy to get on and off.

But they work. Properly waterproof and very light.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #12 on: 19 February, 2017, 12:08:27 am »
Totally agree. But would respectfully suggest that
AFTER the rain, when the shoes are still soaked
you wish you had worn sandals. Which dry very quickly. And allow your feet to expand after many hours of pedalling.
As per the picture on the back page of that very excellent magazine, Arrivee:
https://issuu.com/audax-uk/docs/arr133_lr
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #13 on: 20 February, 2017, 07:45:16 am »
another vote for sandals.....mine are shimano....and sealskin socks .great for cooling off too. :facepalm:
We're supposed to be feeding them not fatting them........quote from chef on LEL

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #14 on: 20 February, 2017, 12:38:05 pm »
Never tested how fast they dry, but these are lightweight:
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/700-aerofit-cycling-overshoes-id_8281506.html
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

« Reply #15 on: 21 February, 2017, 04:21:24 pm »
Good suggestions here.  I ordered Shimano sandals but they were far too narrow in the toe box for me, so they just won't work unfortunately.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #16 on: 22 February, 2017, 08:06:49 pm »
Am I alone in considering pairing SPD sandals with an Orca Trisuit?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17 on: 22 February, 2017, 10:27:40 pm »
Good suggestions here.  I ordered Shimano sandals but they were far too narrow in the toe box for me, so they just won't work unfortunately.

Exustar also do a cycling sandal.

mr ben

• Some routes may be arduous.
    • ramblings and randonees
« Reply #18 on: 23 February, 2017, 05:29:57 pm »

That would make the *front* cover of Arrivee.
Think it possible that you may be mistaken.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #19 on: 23 February, 2017, 07:51:43 pm »

That would make the *front* cover of Arrivee.
It would certainly be right for a front cover; but perhaps for a magazine about different "special" interests  :-\
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #20 on: 23 February, 2017, 08:16:00 pm »
It would certainly be right for a front cover; but perhaps for a magazine about different "special" interests  :-\

Triathlon  :hand:

« Reply #21 on: 24 February, 2017, 04:52:15 pm »
The SPD sandals, sealskins socks and cuffs cut from Marigold washing up gloves solution...

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #22 on: 24 February, 2017, 05:10:27 pm »
The SPD sandals, sealskins socks and cuffs cut from Marigold washing up gloves solution...

Genius!

I showed this to my 20 year old daughter. She said, "You know, a bad idea that works isn't really a bad idea". I find myself wondering if we all just cycling hobos.

« Reply #23 on: 24 February, 2017, 10:21:11 pm »
You can also get a large black 'marigold' equivalent (Tesco), to extract the cuffs for sealing sealskinz.   :)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #24 on: 25 February, 2017, 10:13:33 pm »
I keep reading this thread as waterproof bottles. Double take every time, as non waterproof bottles would be useless.

Eddington  127miles, 170km