Author Topic: TDF 2023  (Read 26398 times)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Re: TDF 2023
« Reply #500 on: 23 July, 2023, 03:25:24 pm »
It might do next year. I read the last stage is a time trial.

From wiki

Owing to preparations for the Paris 2024 Olympic and Paralympic Games, the tour will finish in Nice with an individual time trial—the last time a time trial was the final stage in the Tour was in 1989

It's a brave move, not many French cycling fans remember that day with fondness. Many have said that the reason why le tour have had a showing off the shirts and spriters last day since.

If the route lives up to this year's fantastic route/race. Next year's last day could be a nail biting day.

Just did a wee search, only the last two days and first three days has been released. And the very first and the second to last days are lumpy, this looks promising ;)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #501 on: 23 July, 2023, 03:26:07 pm »
The live coverage isn’t on until 4:30 pm! I'm getting withdrawal symptoms!  Though this does mean we won’t get all the trundling through the suburbs, photobombing, champagne-swigging and other titting about such as might offend Nice C Boardman…

The stage doesn’t start until 4.30 French time, so we’ll only miss the first hour. There will be plenty of opportunity for such larks.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #502 on: 23 July, 2023, 03:50:40 pm »
(click to show/hide)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #503 on: 23 July, 2023, 04:03:26 pm »
Vingegaard is riding La Vuelta... should be interesting.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #504 on: 23 July, 2023, 04:29:25 pm »
I wish there were highlights on ITV4 of the TdF Femmes. I’ve not the interest in watching all of a stage (that applies to most of the stages of the men’s TdF too) but I’d like to be able to watch the finale’s with the ITV commentary team. Especially as I’ve visited most of the stage finish towns in the past. One day perhaps.
There are a few clips here: https://www.letourfemmes.fr/en

« Reply #505 on: 23 July, 2023, 05:43:20 pm »
Pog's going ferit.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #506 on: 23 July, 2023, 06:07:40 pm »
Thank you to those that answered my question re;racing on the last day. I hadn’t realised that you were also talking about day 21 and having done a bit of Googling I now understand that the day 21 ride in is quite a recent ‘tradition’. Next years Day 21 time trial will defo put a damper on such shenanigans.

Then watching the peloton cycling around the big avenue we see Pogo go off on one and the colemantators not quite sure what to make of it. Such fun.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #507 on: 23 July, 2023, 06:38:45 pm »
wow

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #508 on: 23 July, 2023, 06:44:13 pm »
(click to show/hide)

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #509 on: 23 July, 2023, 06:58:46 pm »
(click to show/hide)
Tiny P reckons he was the architect of his own downfall through complacency and dropping of the wheel of his lead out man.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #510 on: 23 July, 2023, 07:02:54 pm »
(click to show/hide)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #511 on: 23 July, 2023, 07:15:39 pm »
One of the best tour de France's in years, loved it.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #512 on: 23 July, 2023, 09:02:24 pm »
By the way, did we all see the Mohoric post-race interview yesterday? Bloody hell. Talk about from the heart...

https://youtu.be/zgVp-CfNRrs?t=325

All the more incredible considering he was being that eloquent in what was not his first language.

Excuse me, I seem to have got some dust in my eye...
Just incroyable. I have a new cycling hero ...

I'd missed that Mohoric post-race interview, well worth a watch.

« Reply #513 on: 23 July, 2023, 09:52:00 pm »
It was lovely, Andy - and I don't think he said, "So, yeah," or "Super-...." once!  I was instantly reminded of the Johnny Ray song and was mouthing at the TV, "Go ahead and CRY!"  He'd earned it!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #514 on: 24 July, 2023, 07:56:28 am »
(click to show/hide)

Fun.

Felt sorry for the poor peelers along the Rue de Ravioli, standing with their backs to it.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #515 on: 24 July, 2023, 08:44:21 am »
Nor, based on what was briefly shown of the relationship in the Netflix documentary, his DS. The 'Jasper the Disaster' cognomen (gained when he was at UEA) is because of JP's forgetfulness, accident-prone-ness and lack of inability to organize himself - traits which patently irked the DS. 

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #516 on: 24 July, 2023, 09:13:51 am »
In future I shall look upon him with favour.

I might watch that NF thing now.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #517 on: 24 July, 2023, 10:25:02 am »
He came across (to me) as quite likeable. The good things about the documentary were the little insights behind some of the characters and their relationships (eg van Aert and Vingergaard, Pogacar's general good-eggness, Madiot v Julien Jurdie). The bad things are the stretched narratives - particularly the supposed tight race for the the third podium spot. For it to have been as close as was suggested Thomas would have had to have waited for  Gaudu for 6 minutes. (IGMC)

citoyen

« Reply #518 on: 24 July, 2023, 10:50:54 am »
The bad things are the stretched narratives

That's just a feature of commentary in general though, isn't it?

I thought it was funny yesterday when Pogacar went on his kamikaze mission and Ned and Dave were going mental. WE'VE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE IT!!!!!! Which is patent bollocks. It was great fun to watch and really animated proceedings, but no one in their right mind imagined he was going to be able to stay out there long enough to have a chance of winning the stage.

(By the way, the way the stage played out really emphasised why it's so rare for it to end up in anything other than a bunch sprint - the nature of the course means it's nigh on impossible for a break to succeed, even when the sprint teams are as shambolic as they were yesterday. A lesson to anyone who asks the perennial question about what would happen if, say, the gap between the top two on GC were only 10 seconds going into the final stage.)

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #519 on: 24 July, 2023, 01:41:32 pm »
Now to find something to entertain me this afternoon.

citoyen

« Reply #520 on: 24 July, 2023, 02:22:45 pm »

The TdF slot on ITV4 is being filled by Magnum PI this afternoon. Better than nothing?

If that doesn't appeal, ITVX also currently has the whole Beiderbecke trilogy available to watch on demand.

Barbara Flynn... <sighs wistfully>

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #521 on: 24 July, 2023, 02:33:33 pm »
He came across (to me) as quite likeable. The good things about the documentary were the little insights behind some of the characters and their relationships (eg van Aert and Vingergaard, Pogacar's general good-eggness, Madiot v Julien Jurdie). The bad things are the stretched narratives - particularly the supposed tight race for the the third podium spot. For it to have been as close as was suggested Thomas would have had to have waited for  Gaudu for 6 minutes. (IGMC)

Van Aert is reportedly Not Happy with the way Netflix portrayed him and I can’t say I'm totally surprised.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #522 on: 24 July, 2023, 02:41:43 pm »

The TdF slot on ITV4 is being filled by Magnum PI this afternoon. Better than nothing?

If that doesn't appeal, ITVX also currently has the whole Beiderbecke trilogy available to watch on demand.

I really enjoyed the Beiderbecke trilogy when it was originally broadcast. But that was nearly 40 years ago :o

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #523 on: 24 July, 2023, 02:42:32 pm »

Howay the lads.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #524 on: 25 July, 2023, 12:10:52 am »

The women's race.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/