Author Topic: asthma  (Read 27866 times)

asthma
« on: 14 May, 2008, 03:41:42 pm »
Is it possible to develop asthma as an adult? Apart from childhood croup, I've never had any breathing problems.

However, since I got this throat infection 2 weeks ago, my chest feels like there is a band around it. If I go into a room where air freshener has been sprayed, or have to speak out loudly, I find myself fighting for breath. I've never experienced this before. Apart from this, and a slight cough, I don't feel ill at all.

I haven't ridden my bike since tuesday last week. Don't think I could manage the ride to work, and I'm scared to try.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: asthma
« Reply #1 on: 14 May, 2008, 03:45:33 pm »
In short, yes it is.  My mother was fine until she hit her 40's then suddenly one day whilst dusting she found she couldn't breath.  A quick trip to the docs found her with an inhaler and she has been fine (using the inhaler) since.

Get yourself to the quacks.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #2 on: 14 May, 2008, 03:46:24 pm »
I did, when I was about 32.  I also became allergic to dogs.  The doc didnt seem particularly surprised.

The asthma calmed down after a bit, and I now only need the inhaler every month or so when I've been doing something dusty.  I still get affected by dogs although antihistamines help a bit.

suggest you go and see your GP. 

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 14 May, 2008, 03:47:59 pm »
It is possible to develop asthma as an adult, though rarer than growing out of it.

My brother became asthmatic (mildly) in his twenties.

Occasionally, it develops later, but it is often difficult to discern from other forms of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD). 

Adult asthma is almost never allergic, but can be exacerbated by exercise. 

Consult your GP.  He (or the Practice Nurse) will be able to test you using a Peak Flow Meter and a Spirometer, as well as making physical examinations, and, in most cases, will be able to prescribe a low level of medication to stabilise the condition.
Getting there...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4 on: 14 May, 2008, 03:49:07 pm »
It is certainly possible - normally the difficulty is in breathing *out*, not in.  You may also feel quite hot, go red in the face and start coughing up phlegm.  See a doctor; if it's triggered randomly by pollutants you may need the kind of inhaler you take every day.

I'm lucky; besides virtually growing out of it, mine is the predictable "exercise asthma" so I just need one puff of salbutamol before cycling.  In warm weather I can sort of manage without, and after 20 minutes of exercise the wheezing gives up and goes away anyway.  One puff is enough for an entire day's cycling (no jokes please...).

As for peak flow meters...I can make the pointer hit the end.  I have large lungs, although this doesn't translate to a high VO2 max, sadly.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #5 on: 14 May, 2008, 03:59:23 pm »
It feels like my chest clamps/cramps down, and I have to make a conscious effort to relax my chest muscles in order to breath in. I'm finding it very hard to talk loudly; talking in a group leaves me gasping for breath. After a few minutes I'm getting spasmodic, racking coughs.

I walked into a meeting room (no airflow) where air freshener had been sprayed and had to leave almost immediately. It's taken 20 minutes to get my breath back.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #6 on: 14 May, 2008, 04:39:50 pm »
Go and see your doctor, go on go on go on.

I was diagnosed with asthma 5 or 6 years ago. I've had a lifetime of eczema, hayfever and other allergies, and doctors were always surprised I didn't have asthma as well, because they tend to go together.

Mine is triggered by cigarette smoke, cold damp weather (not that we get much of that in Edinburgh  ::-) ), rabbit fur (all animals to some degree but I'm really bad with rabbits), some wines, having a cold, and any of those factors combined with exercise. It's usually nothing more than a bit of wheezing and I can't remember the last time I used my inhaler, but now and again it gets worse and I spend nights unable to sleep because I can't stop coughing.

I've just realised that saying I'm really bad with rabbits is going to attract some comment. I'm curious as to what they'll be, so I'm not going to rephrase.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #7 on: 14 May, 2008, 06:02:01 pm »
It isn't uncommon to get asthma after an infection like that.  The doctors can check your wheeziness and a week or two course of prednisolone should nail it - that's what I got after my black mould infection.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #8 on: 14 May, 2008, 11:30:14 pm »
I had a week or two of very unpleasant asthma a few years ago - immediately after a nasty cold.

Hie ye to the doc's for some lurgy-juice.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #9 on: 14 May, 2008, 11:34:29 pm »
A few years ago I got given <the correct term I believe  ;)> a ventolin inhaler by my GP...I was having a "hard time" when exercising.  I did not have asthma, but a few weeks on ventolin sorted it - I had no previous problems and none since.  I put it down to "one of those things"

annie

« Reply #10 on: 15 May, 2008, 06:41:03 am »
I would visit your GP, any problems related to breathing should receive medical attention promptly, especially if this is combined with a feeling of tightness as you describe.

I have hypersensitivies to lots of products, this was confirmed at the hospital, air freshener and other sprays being one of the culprits.

Do not delay in seeking medical attention. 

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #11 on: 15 May, 2008, 09:46:45 am »
Oi!  mrcharly!  Have you been to the GP yet? </nag>
Getting there...

« Reply #12 on: 15 May, 2008, 09:54:55 am »
Going to earliest appointment - Friday at 5
<i>Marmite slave</i>

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #13 on: 15 May, 2008, 10:12:01 am »
Going to earliest appointment - Friday at 5

Good.  This is important but you can get it under control or even sort it (depending on the cause).

Hope all goes well.  Asthma is a PITA, but it can be lived with.
Getting there...

« Reply #14 on: 16 May, 2008, 07:33:00 pm »
Been to doc. Doc says no sign of infection, obvious wheezing, puts it down to irritated lungs (whatever that means). He got me to blow into peak flow meter. Made me do it 3 times, the best I achieved was 563. First couple of times I only just got the meter over 400.

I have an inhaler to use for a couple of weeks.

I had 2 shots of the inhaler, walked the 4 miles home at a fast clip, no wheezing, so it's done the trick for now. It is a real relief to be able to breath normally again, I'd forgotten what it is like!
<i>Marmite slave</i>

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #15 on: 17 May, 2008, 08:59:32 pm »
Good.  Keep in touch with your GP, so he can get more of an idea of the pattern of your condition.  There's lots of different methods of treating asthma/breathing difficulty, so there should be something to suit you.
Getting there...

annie

« Reply #16 on: 18 May, 2008, 07:13:44 am »
Glad you have managed to get some relief in the short term.

If the problem continues it may be worth asking for some allergy tests as it is fine to treat the symptoms but if you know the cause you may be able to eliminate it fully or reduce it to a level that is acceptable.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #17 on: 18 May, 2008, 12:59:02 pm »
I've had asthma all my life and, providing I take my medication, it's never really interfered with my cycling.  In fact, one of my doctors had a theory it might even help providing I wasn't directly exposed to one of the very many allergens to which I'm sensitive.  Something to do with the exercise keeping the bronchi really wide open.  And iit's true I have hardly ever had an attack while cycling (the only time being when I was riding through countryside where the fields were filled with rape for miles and miles.  I am horrible allergic to this and apparently it's a very common allergen for lots of people.  You could get yourself tested for allergens (I had this done years ago) but the tests are not exhaustive and apparently allergic sensitivities can change over time.  I notice you made a comment about air fresheners.  My lungs hate these in any form- it's worth checking out what they're using at work. 
    Just love your lungs- no need to change your lifestyle.
         Jane

« Reply #18 on: 18 May, 2008, 09:37:25 pm »
The doc didn't mention asthma - just to using inhaler at night and in morning and see how I go after two weeks.

Had a hard day at school fair yesterday, supervising kids on stilts etc. Absolutely exhausted today, but still breathing ok.

I really really wish I didn't have to travel to work tomorrow, I'm thinking of phoning and trying to arrange to work from home. Got to be better than being a limp rag at my desk.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

annie

« Reply #19 on: 18 May, 2008, 09:40:20 pm »
I take it the doc gave you a preventer rather than a reliever?

« Reply #20 on: 19 May, 2008, 09:20:49 am »
It's Salbutamol, tradenamed as Salamol. The standard 'blue' inhalers.

As far as I know, this is a reliever.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

annie

« Reply #21 on: 19 May, 2008, 09:27:39 am »
It's Salbutamol, tradenamed as Salamol. The standard 'blue' inhalers.

As far as I know, this is a reliever.

Yes it is a reliever

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #22 on: 19 May, 2008, 09:41:15 am »
Salbutamol is on the banned substances list for cycling  :thumbsup:

If you ride in an open TT or any sort of mass-start race, you need a medical certificate to confirm you actually need the inhaler.  Miguel Indurain almost got caught this way.

Incidentally, it is a preventer, but only in the sense that you can take it just before exercise (or being exposed to an allergen) and it will stop you getting asthma for a few hours, longer if you keep exercising without pause.  It's not a preventer in the sense that you should take it regularly like the "brown" inhalers - salbutamol increases blood pressure and has other nasty side-effects.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #23 on: 19 May, 2008, 10:34:01 am »
It's not a preventer in the sense that you should take it regularly like the "brown" inhalers - salbutamol increases blood pressure and has other nasty side-effects.

Hmm. Well I'm supposed to take 2 puffs twice daily and as required . . . I can tell it is wearing off, my chest feels compressed by lunchtime.

I have low blood pressure anyway, so *that* side effect isn't a worry.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

annie

« Reply #24 on: 19 May, 2008, 10:39:32 am »
Rogerzilla, I agree that it  can be taken to prevent asthma before exercise but it is quite clearly marked as a 'Reliever' on the packaging and on the instructions inside the box.  I think it may be useful to make a distinction between using it as a reliever and pre-exercise.  JC has been using this either with a space or with a nebuliser at home for about 10.5 years, he uses up to 10 puffs at a time during an attack.  He now uses Seretide 125 as a  preventer, a much more effective drug than his previous ones.

I think that you may need to revisit your GP if your symptoms continue.