Author Topic: Anyone else do Krav Maga?  (Read 1762 times)

Anyone else do Krav Maga?
« on: 24 January, 2010, 01:14:46 pm »
I just passed my first grading - woohoo! I got involved in it because I like kettlebells, and they use them in training, but I've got into the self defence stuff too, it's really fun.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Anyone else do Krav Maga?
« Reply #1 on: 24 January, 2010, 02:02:57 pm »
No, but I used to teach a middle-aged woman whose teenage son took it up cos he kept getting mugged on the way home from school etc. After maybe a month of doing it he was set upon by two attackers, but this time was able to fight them both off, sustaining nothing other than mild cuts and bruises. So it does seem to be an effective method of self-defence (until the muggers learn it too, of course).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #2 on: 26 January, 2010, 06:23:26 am »
Little danger of  muggers learning a martial art and attaining any decent level, because it takes character and commitment. 

The drop out rate in the first six weeks is probably about 80% IME.

Zoidburg

« Reply #3 on: 26 January, 2010, 12:04:21 pm »
Little danger of  muggers learning a martial art and attaining any decent level, because it takes character and commitment.  

Krav Maga is not a martial art and there is very little in it about character - quite the reverse, it's about learning to be more of a nasty bastard than the mugger.

It may be something taught in gyms now but it is still a crash course in dirty tricks and lethal action.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #4 on: 26 January, 2010, 12:35:55 pm »
Any self-defence technique that uses a kettlebell is bound to be a touch thuggish.   :smug:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5 on: 26 January, 2010, 01:20:14 pm »
Little danger of  muggers learning a martial art and attaining any decent level, because it takes character and commitment.  

Krav Maga is not a martial art and there is very little in it about character - quite the reverse, it's about learning to be more of a nasty bastard than the mugger.

It may be something taught in gyms now but it is still a crash course in dirty tricks and lethal action.

That's how it was taught to my student's son. Out-mugging the mugger.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Zoidburg

« Reply #6 on: 26 January, 2010, 02:36:50 pm »
Is this thread in "Health & Fitness" because we don't have a board marked "Maiming & Killing"?

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #7 on: 26 January, 2010, 04:05:03 pm »

Well, it was developed for the Israeli 'Defence' Force... so what else would you expect  ;)
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Zoidburg

« Reply #8 on: 26 January, 2010, 04:12:07 pm »
 ::-)

It's a bit hyped up, a lot of forces use something like it, not just the IDF.

The first book was this one.

All-in Fighting: Amazon.co.uk: W.E. Fairbairn: Books