Author Topic: Anyone else on Vitality Life?  (Read 1455 times)

Anyone else on Vitality Life?
« on: 10 April, 2015, 04:07:52 pm »
My new life insurance is vitality life with "optimiser". This is a thing where you get points for exercising, etc. And what do points mean? Well, £500 off a bike for starters, and premiums go down, plus cashback, and a free starbucks  :sick:

However, it's not clear what's the best thing to use to monitor cycling. There's a free app called "Moves", but it's widely slated, and I can see why. I just went out for a ride and anything over a moderate pace was registered as "Transport" instead. They give hefty discounts off garmin, polar, etc but I don't see the point in spending a lot duplicating GPS and stuff when I've already got a phone that does that. Perhaps use a fitbug and counting cycling "steps" as walking...

Is anyone else on this and if so what do you use?
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
Re: Anyone else on Vitality Life?
« Reply #1 on: 17 April, 2015, 12:05:13 pm »
Not on it, but I've found Google My Tracks app on my phone is very good indeed.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #2 on: 17 April, 2015, 01:56:20 pm »
I use an Adidas Fit Smart watch, which at the time I started was about the only thing available with a wrist based heart rate sensor that actually worked with Vitality. It's not bad and at least it is convenient with no strap to bother about. Downloads to iPhone / iPad and automagically to Vitality.

Bit of a shame that you can only get 10 points per day / 40 points per week though - it's taking me a lot of effort to get to platinum.

« Reply #3 on: 19 April, 2015, 08:23:05 am »
That's interesting, thanks. It looks like they no longer accept any HRMs without a chest strap.

The Moves app seems to fail to recognise cycling over around 25 km/h and randomly assigns it as running or - bizarrely - walking. I've contacted Moves but they have not responded. It's possible to select the leg and reassign it to cycling, but I'm not quite sure if this is accepted as true by vitality as I've been doing about 3 hours cycling a day anyway. This level gives the maximum points by step count, which seems quite reliable, but Moves can take several days to update to vitality.

Bit of a shame that you can only get 10 points per day / 40 points per week though - it's taking me a lot of effort to get to platinum.

Indeed. I guess the point is you have to do the maximum allowed every week of the year, plus the medical checkups, to get to platinum. So it's going to be at least 11 months before I can get the voucher for the new Brompton. Do you know what happens at the end of the year? Do you maintain a year's rolling points or go back to bronze and start again?
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.