Author Topic: Any suggestions to prevent the onset of trigger finger?  (Read 1935 times)

Any suggestions to prevent the onset of trigger finger?
« on: 11 November, 2015, 05:48:11 pm »
I've got some issues with trigger finger coming and going (coming again at the moment), generally first thing in the morning at the moment. There appears to be little in the way of treatment (NSAIDs, steroid injection, surgery), I wondered if there were excercises or dietary additions that might help prevent onset?

Re: Any suggestions to prevent the onset of trigger finger?
« Reply #1 on: 12 November, 2015, 02:15:24 pm »
I can sell you some cream to rub into the finger twice a day that is very effective. it is made from the fruit of a south American tree known until recently only to a few indian tribes who never got trigger finger.

Unfortunately general Medical council rules forbid me from selling it to you for some reason unless I am a large pharmaceutical company :)

Short answer is NO

« Reply #2 on: 12 November, 2015, 02:24:47 pm »
Well, I could pay for that with the compensation I'm going to get, according to a phone call I've just had.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 12 November, 2015, 02:31:49 pm »
There appears to be little in the way of treatment (NSAIDs, steroid injection, surgery)

That sounds like quite a lot in the way of treatment to me.  It's a tenosynovitis thing, isn't it?  I expect steroids or surgery would be extremely effective.

Do you ride with a death grip on the bars?  Or do other repetitive tendon-inflaming hand things (power tools and such)?

(IANAD, I've just been around barakta for long enough to know far too much about this stuff.)

« Reply #4 on: 12 November, 2015, 03:04:10 pm »
I'd say that these days the only RSI-style things I do are computer keyboard/mouse related.

Apparently and allegedly, the treatments are of limited effect, and frankly my preference to avoid surgery or extended pill stuff would give me the impetus to try whatever alternative concoctions, potions and lotions might help prevent onset, aside from changing lifestyle things like stopping using computer or cycling.

I hear there's a South African fruit that might help.

ETA, I wonder if it has anything to do with the metacarpal I broke in an off a couple of years ago? Same hand.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #5 on: 12 November, 2015, 03:05:52 pm »
I get it from time to time. Not really a problem, just a bit annoying in the morning.
I'm wondering if it is caused by cycling. Maybe different bars, or grips or padded gloves could help.

« Reply #6 on: 12 November, 2015, 03:18:10 pm »
I get it from time to time. Not really a problem, just a bit annoying in the morning.
I'm wondering if it is caused by cycling. Maybe different bars, or grips or padded gloves could help.

That describes me as well, I've been thinking of getting properly fitted bike as a potential aid/assistance.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #7 on: 12 November, 2015, 07:30:33 pm »
Check out ergonomic mice and keyboards? Switch mousing hand?

« Reply #8 on: 21 November, 2015, 09:50:27 pm »
The treatments are outstandingly effective.  I would say that a trigger finger injection is one of the most satisfying treatments known  Success rate of one steroid injection in the 90%.  2 steroid injections 95%+ and surgery cures all but 1 in 10,000.

It has nothing to do with inflammation, job or keyboarding.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #9 on: 21 November, 2015, 10:00:29 pm »
What about just cutting it off at the nearest joint? That will cut down on the risk of relapse too. :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #10 on: 21 November, 2015, 10:08:35 pm »
The treatments are outstandingly effective.  I would say that a trigger finger injection is one of the most satisfying treatments known  Success rate of one steroid injection in the 90%.  2 steroid injections 95%+ and surgery cures all but 1 in 10,000.

It has nothing to do with inflammation, job or keyboarding.

Ditto - mine is left hand so not my main keyboard/mouse control. Fixed by steroid injection and only just starting to get it again 2 years later