Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 507840 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Next time, try crocheting it.

Or maybe adjusting the pH of the yoghurt.
I suspect the honey increased the pH, making the milk proteins more soluble.

Too acidic will give you curds & whey, too alkaline won't be yoghurt. One drop of lemon juice may do the trick.

Hmm, so if I want to go home made yog for ever I probably need to start stealing loads of tiny pots of jam & honey from hotels so that I can keep the offending articles at work and add them just prior to eating. (rather than having a drawer full of different jam)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Could it not be that getting rattled about on the journey caused it to separate into liquids and solids?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Aldi peanut brittle coated in chocolate.

mmmm
<i>Marmite slave</i>

jogler

• mojo operandi
Peanut brittle will always be associated with the school tuck shop.I loved it.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
This afternoon Jan and I will take the tandem out for the purposes of blackberry picking.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm blackberries! Are they ripe around your way then? They seem to be still mostly unripe here.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
Could it not be that getting rattled about on the journey caused it to separate into liquids and solids?
For the purposes of SCIENCE I shall bring in a pot, unadulterated on Monday.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm blackberries! Are they ripe around your way then? They seem to be still mostly unripe here.

I thought we were going to great loads of brambles when we were in the S. of France last week but they were mostly nowhere near ready :(

Blackberries late here too. Usually I start straight after Mildenhall, but they're not ready yet.

Mrs P: your yoghurt needs refrigerating to stay solid. It's why I stopped knitting my own- the childers ended up with a small tupperware container of sour milk in their pack lunches. They didn't like it. We reverted to jelly, except in the summer.

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
My attempt of making yoghurt was an unmitigating disaster. Back to the yoghurt machine.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Blackberries unripe and sparse down here.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
We haven't been out because I've been too zonked. This is a great disappointment to me.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
My yog is fine in the frij at home, and it's only un-frij'd for about half an hour while I commute and then it goes back in the frij at work again.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
My yog is fine in the frij at home, and it's only un-frij'd for about half an hour while I commute and then it goes back in the frij at work again.

Maybe the audaxers got to it?   ;D

Next time, try crocheting it.

Or maybe adjusting the pH of the yoghurt.
I suspect the honey increased the pH, making the milk proteins more soluble.

Too acidic will give you curds & whey, too alkaline won't be yoghurt. One drop of lemon juice may do the trick.

Hmm, so if I want to go home made yog for ever I probably need to start stealing loads of tiny pots of jam & honey from hotels so that I can keep the offending articles at work and add them just prior to eating. (rather than having a drawer full of different jam)

No, just steal one or two tiny jars, and then decant a portion of jam or honey each day as required.

Or I can hoik a couple out of the recycling for you....
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
Wor bruvva, Sprogs, went round the back fence of my flat and looted the blackberries there. The pie WAS good whilst it lasted O:-)
The trouble is I have to walk past the bushes when I go to the rented garage for a bike or trike and I seem to be depleting their stock by a not instubstantial amount in both directions 8)
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

In Morrisons this morning, MFWHTBAB spotted some Stilton with lemon in it, and decided to buy a small piece to try. I was a little dubious.

OMG! It's lemon cheesecake, in proper cheese form! If only we had some digestive biscuits to serve it on...

<drool>

That small piece ain't going to last long!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
There are several sweets sold as cheese.

Wiatrose occasionally do Wensleydale with cranberries or Wensleydale with ginger.

It is forbidden in this house to buy them.

There are several sweets sold as cheese.

Wiatrose occasionally do Wensleydale with cranberries or Wensleydale with ginger.

It is forbidden in this house to buy them.

Well good for you.

I like them, so  :P

Julian

• samoture
Morrisons did a something-or-other with rhubarb which was lovely.

I like sweet cheese (I'm the only non-Scandanavian I know who likes brunost, which is caramelised cheese).  There's a passage in India Knight's novel "Don't you want me" which goes

"I stare at a Stilton with blueberries and wonder why the English, with so many fabulous and underrated native cheeses at their disposal, insist on buggering about with them.  Blueberries in Stilton.  Imagine.  What's next?  Sultanas in Brie?  Jelly Tots in Chevre?"

...and when I read it I thought "mm, jelly tots in chevre might be quite nice..." ;D

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Cranberries in Stilton or Wensleydale are rather nice IMHO.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
I'm with the others on this.  Cheese is cheese, fruit is fruit.  If I wanted fruit with my cheese, I would add it myself.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Cranberries in Stilton or Wensleydale are rather nice IMHO.

Oh yes....  :D

Fruit and cheese together on one plate are hardly unusual. Combining them in the mix is just convenient!

Cudzoziemiec

I kind of fancy Wensleydale with ginger. I'm a bit keen on most cheeses, apart from smoked ones - I hate all smoked food, but I've never really tried these sweet cheeses. Might have to visit Morrison's for perhaps the first time in my life! (there isn't one near here and never has been anywhere near any place I've ever lived - but there is one conveniently placed next to the Fishponds Fish.

Today, we ate blackberries from the bushes round Lower Stone and Tytherington way. They are ripe at last! Well, some of them.

Wensleydale with cranberries is pretty common, in all supermarkets!

For the greatest selection of 'things in Wensleydale', visit the creamery where it's made. The 'taster' bowls run the entire length of he shop counter, and once you've tried a cube of each, you don't need to eat for a while.