Author Topic: Carradice Brompton Bureau or other briefcase replacement advice?  (Read 1442 times)

Sigurd Mudtracker

Carradice Brompton Bureau or other briefcase replacement advice?
« on: 30 November, 2008, 04:41:19 pm »
I need a new briefcase.  The current model is a Lands' End Square Rigger in cotton canvas - you can tell I'm not influenced by style gurus.  It's nicely worn and faded in the manner of a Carradice cotton duck saddlebag, but the shoulder strap is sawing its way through its attachments, one of the zip pulls has broken off, and there is a hole appearing in one of the corners.

Currently it is used in conjunction with an original Brompton front pannier - it slips neatly inside when I am bike-borne and the outside (Brompton) pockets  serve their usual purpose for spare tubes, multi-tools and emergency fuel supplies.

I want something durable in canvas of similar style that's weatherproof and will carry a couple of A5 reference books, a couple of slightly-larger-than A4 folders, some odds and ends, and my lunch.

I had been looking at the Billingham Hadley Pro, which is a camera bag and not a bike bag, but seemed to tick most of the boxes.  It should also fit in my Brompton front pannier for bike borne missions.

Mrs M however suggested I cut out the middleman and go straight for some bike-specific luggage, namely the Carradice Brompton Bureau - the Brompton specific version of their Bike Bureau.  In cotton duck and leather straps it does seem to tick the boxes.  My only concern is that the frame for my mid-90s Brompton Pannier doesn't exactly make it the easiest thing to carry, and it always ends up lop-sided  and banging into my legs.  I also have visions of the frame sticking uncomfortably into my back if it's being used off and away from the bike.

Has anyone had any experience of these, or have any other suggestions?  I need a bag that is multi-purpose, not primarily bike-orientated.  I've also looked at the Arkel bags but the hardware looks like it might be a bit of a problem, plus it's not obviously Brompton-friendly (though I suspect it could be fitted to a bare Brompton luggage frame).  A courier-type bag is probably just a bit too laid back for my purposes...  Though I've made my comments about style gurus earlier, I do like the cotton duck style design and so a standard laptop bag doesn't appeal.