Author Topic: Anybody know what DHL are up to in Bermondsey?  (Read 2036 times)

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
Anybody know what DHL are up to in Bermondsey?
« on: 28 June, 2018, 05:43:59 pm »
A mate spotted this in Bermondsey:

I know they bought 50 Brox Compacts back in 2001 but if that's one of them then they've done some refurbishment and modification.

This latest thing is power assisted..
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
Re: Anybody know what DHL are up to in Bermondsey?
« Reply #1 on: 28 June, 2018, 05:52:02 pm »
Oh, it's a Velove Armadillo.

http://velove.se/the-armadillo/
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

« Reply #2 on: 28 June, 2018, 08:59:59 pm »
Love it, hope they spread all around the UK.

Wonder whether the assist is a compliant 250W or something more, that thing looks like it can carry some serious cargo and I'd guess it would be a devil in a head wind without some serious push from the motor.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 28 June, 2018, 09:06:09 pm »
From the link above:

Electric assist: Bafang Max
Electric assist rated power: 250 watt
Electric assist torque: +80 Nm
Electric assist speed limit: Assisting up to 25 km/h
Battery capacity: 0,6 kWh (extra battery mount can be fitted)
Energy consumption on max assist: 0,15­-0,2 kWh/10 km

So a standard pedelec complaint motor.  I thought there was a weight limit, but maybe that was only in the old EAPC regs?

« Reply #4 on: 29 June, 2018, 12:00:54 am »
So only 250W, but if I'm correct isn't the Bafang a crank drive system?  I've only had experience of hub motors so I'm not familiar with the power delivery characteristics of a crack drive but Watt for Watt will a motor delivering its power via the transmission path pull better than a direct drive?

I guess the answer isn't straight forward as the relationship between power rating in measured in watts and torque at the wheel will differ greatly from one manufacturer to another.

The main thing though remains that I'm glad to see a major delivery firm taking cycle delivery seriously.       

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 29 June, 2018, 08:19:21 am »
So only 250W, but if I'm correct isn't the Bafang a crank drive system?  I've only had experience of hub motors so I'm not familiar with the power delivery characteristics of a crack drive but Watt for Watt will a motor delivering its power via the transmission path pull better than a direct drive?

It'll give you much better torque at the wheel than a gearless hub motor (I assume the double freewheel transmission helps avoid wheel-spin), as well as the off-power efficiency of a freewheel.  There's generally a weight saving, too, but that's not really important here.

From experience of hauling ~60kg of trailer with a 37kg trike (plus about 80kg of me) with a 250W motor, I reckon it'll make the acceleration tolerable.  Hill climbing will be underwhelming with a full load, but they're using them in flat places anyway.

« Reply #6 on: 29 June, 2018, 08:34:33 am »
Hate to be negative Bruce.. .but with all the gates and barriers on our wonderful Sustrans stylee cycle paths.. I'm amazed that DHL mobile got there!
I suppose these will be mostly used on roads in crowded city centres - would make sense there.