Author Topic: Up-to-Date OpenCycleMap for Garmin  (Read 14050 times)

JonDee

Up-to-Date OpenCycleMap for Garmin
« on: 18 January, 2012, 01:06:43 pm »
Hi,

I'm looking for an up-to-date UK routable map for a Garmin GPS and Mapsource based on OpenCycleMap, so that I have the Local/Nation cycle network marked. The only one I can find is on the OSM Wiki "OSM Map On Garmin/Download" page, but it is over a year old. Is there anything more up-to-date out there?

Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

JonDee

Re: Up-to-Date OpenCycleMap for Garmin
« Reply #2 on: 18 January, 2012, 02:17:12 pm »
I've got Talkytoaster, which is pretty impressive, but it appears to be based on OpenStreetMap rather than OpenCycleMap. Reading the blurb it looks as though aighes.de-RadReiseKarte is also OpenStreetMap based.

I'm after the eee-zee to follow Local/Nation cycle network routes which are drawn on OpenCycleMap as though someone had used pink and mauve highlighter pens.

« Reply #3 on: 18 January, 2012, 03:20:30 pm »
As I understand it,  the various maps are different renderings from the same database which is known as OpenStreetMap. www.openstreetmap.org   If you go there you can see what has been mapped.  You are encouraged to contribute your data too.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #4 on: 18 January, 2012, 03:40:04 pm »
I think Andy Gates' Munky Map highlight cycles routes. Though not sure if it is up to date. http://ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps/

Or there is instructions to make your own Garmin cycle map here: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin/Cycle_map

JonDee

« Reply #5 on: 18 January, 2012, 03:56:35 pm »

hbunnet - yes, that's my understanding too, OpenCycleMap is based on OpenStreetMap but it has some value add in the form of Local/Nation cycle network routes highlighted plus other cyclist specific info.

fuaran - tried Munky Map but I can't see any highlighted Local/Nation cycle network routes. Looks like your second option of build-your-own might be the only answer.

Richard Fairhurst

• on the trail of the little blue stickers
« Reply #6 on: 18 January, 2012, 08:23:28 pm »
The Garmin map with waymarked cycle routes highlighted is something I did and I've just not had the time to do another one (and remember how I did it first time round!) recently. But I really ought to. Nag me until I do. :)

(You can also buy official OCM ones on SD cards from Andy's shop at www.opencyclemap.org.)
cycle.travel - maps and route-planner

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #7 on: 18 January, 2012, 09:30:13 pm »
I think the munkymap is supposed to have them badged, but I'll have to check.  I'm embroiled in getting my new (heh) PC all mapped up and updating the thing again.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

JonDee

« Reply #8 on: 18 January, 2012, 09:59:14 pm »
Richard - Thanks, I'll look forward to a new edition when you have time. In the meantime I'll try the old one - although the download shows no sign of starting at the moment.

Andy - I can see some bike paths on Munky Map but I was particularly interested in the Chiltern Cycleway which is highlighted on the OpenCycleMap site but not marked on Munky Map.

« Reply #9 on: 18 January, 2012, 10:34:35 pm »
The Garmin map with waymarked cycle routes highlighted is something I did and I've just not had the time to do another one (and remember how I did it first time round!) recently. But I really ought to. Nag me until I do. :)

(You can also buy official OCM ones on SD cards from Andy's shop at www.opencyclemap.org.)

I did have a go at a more up to date map using the style you used - I might pop up an example IICBA at some point and if you didn't mind.

« Reply #10 on: 19 January, 2012, 10:33:45 am »
It might be worth taking a look here http://www.velomap.org/   and there is a companion site openmtbmap.

These are produced from the Openstreetmap database.   I haven't been in there myself for some time but they looked promising.   The German author produces mtb  maps with an attribute for difficulty.

JonDee

« Reply #11 on: 01 February, 2012, 11:28:26 am »
I couldn’t get Richard’s cycle map to install in Mapsource, using Mapsettoolkit, but I have found another solution for planning routes to take in the Local/Nation cycle network.

I had to reinstall the free Mapyx Quo program, as part of a complete software rebuild on my PC, and on opening the program a pop-up offered a free install of OpenCycleMap. I accepted this and now Quo seems to be downloading OpenCycleMap on-the-fly as I move the map around. This slows map panning to an annoyingly slow pace but I can now produce routes (tracks really, can’t find a way to make it routable in Quo) and export the resulting file for use in Mapsource or my GPS.

EDIT: After playing around with Quo the most useful method I have found so far is to produce a series of waypoints for a Local/Nation cycle route in Quo, export that as a Garmin .gdb file, import that file into Mapsource then let Mapsource do the routing on an OSM map.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #12 on: 09 February, 2012, 11:50:23 pm »
OpenFietsMap looks like an interesting Garmin cycle map: http://sites.google.com/site/openfietsmap/
Its currently mostly for Belgium / Netherlands / Luxembourg, but there is also an option for all of western Europe (this is a 3GB download).
I think there is plans to extend it to worldwide, with the option of selecting specific countries / areas.

« Reply #13 on: 02 June, 2013, 10:46:42 pm »
Now got half a solution!

It's been a while since I looked at the "OSM Map On Garmin/Download" page, so I missed the maps that have been added by openstreetmapgarmincycleuk since the beginning of the year. This give the OpenCycleMap map I was after.

The downloaded .img file runs fine on my etrex Vista HCx, but for some reason when I add the map to Mapsource using MapsetToolkit it stops Mapsource opening, so not quite there yet.

« Reply #14 on: 03 June, 2013, 09:50:50 am »
In my experience, the National Cycle Network has some of the worst maintained tarmac in the UK, if there is tarmac at all.
I don't go near them.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #15 on: 03 June, 2013, 11:05:59 am »
Openfietsmap now has a UK/Ire only download of about 500MB, which on first inspection seems to be pretty good.

I've just switched from talkytoaster maps as the OFM does label the cycle routes (or at least NCN72 round here, I haven't checked the others), gives a bit more detail than the TT maps (non OS version) and has solved the routing issue I had before where I could route to POIs but the system couldn't find addresses.

AS with all OSM based maps though, the map is only as good as the data uploaded to it. I noticed on an Audax in the Cairngorms recently that though the A93 was marked, most of the little roads to villages off of it were not on the TT map. Little roads around where I am in Cumbria seem very well mapped though so I guess there haven't been many people with GPSs visiting the little hamlets on Deeside.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #16 on: 03 June, 2013, 06:08:35 pm »

« Reply #17 on: 03 June, 2013, 11:49:10 pm »
It might be worth taking a look here http://www.velomap.org/   and there is a companion site openmtbmap.

These are produced from the Openstreetmap database.   I haven't been in there myself for some time but they looked promising.   The German author produces mtb  maps with an attribute for difficulty.

I use these maps and really like them. They seem to be kept right upto date as well.

« Reply #18 on: 04 June, 2013, 11:25:24 pm »
Wow. I've just installed Velomaps in MapSource and transferred a sample to my GPSs. The Vista C frankly runs a bit slowly with that detailed a map, but on an HCx it's quite a difference from MapSource's own maps...

I'll be trying it for real on the Flitchbikes event on Saturday. It's a pity that I started needing glasses for close up around the time I got the HCx, so I tend not to be able to see it clearly...

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #19 on: 05 June, 2013, 12:38:29 am »
Just been setting up routes for this weekend's 600 on my OSM maps.

They are total bollox around the 1-way system in Blairgowrie.

So although it's not in time for me, I'm currently fixing up the 1-way nightmare that is Blairgowrie in josm. :-)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #20 on: 05 June, 2013, 07:33:08 pm »
I've fixed Blairgowrie's 1-way system!

Well, in OSM, anyway.  Not in real life.

It's surprising how badly messed-up the one-way stuff was, considering it's critical to sensible routing,
yet loads of other extraneous bobbins were all present and correct.

« Reply #21 on: 06 June, 2013, 08:27:26 am »
Stourbridge in Worcestershire has a one-way system that is more like a motor racing circuit than a ring-road.
To take a ‘right turn’ to an exit, all SatNavs direct you round the whole circuit before directing you off onto your desired route.
When I get to the ring-road and wish to make an effective ‘right hand turn’, I hop off the bike and push it along the pavement to the exit route watching the SatNav recalculate a few times before getting a sensible route.

Luckily, there’s a filling station within the walk who sell canned drinks and cakes.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #22 on: 06 June, 2013, 08:46:01 am »
It's surprising how badly messed-up the one-way stuff was,

Standards vary immensely.  OSM appears to work on the 'anything is better than nothing' principle - in remote areas just a straight line between 2 towns has to be better than just blank space - OTOH the detail in some continental university towns is just insane.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #23 on: 06 June, 2013, 08:57:57 am »
+1 for Openfietsmap - been using it for a fair while now - it's great having the cycle routes marked.