Author Topic: Maximum waypoints in Etrex 20/30 route?  (Read 17244 times)

Re: Maximum waypoints in Etrex 20/30 route?
« Reply #25 on: 16 May, 2013, 11:09:04 am »
Just wanted to be sure I fully understood the 50 point limitation when routing.

I believe it just applies when using Follow Road, not Direct or Off Road routing?

If correct, is it 50 way points (and more intermediate via points possible) - or is 50 the total it will use, whether waypoints or via points?

I believe when using Off Road it just connects up any number of points, and lets me follow them, regardless of whether waypoints or via points?

The other Robw, not the wobbly one

« Reply #26 on: 17 May, 2013, 07:28:21 am »
When I used Garmin, a Route had two Waypoints, the beginning and the end. All points between were Viapoints which do not appear on the Waypoint list in the handset. Between the two Waypoints could be a share of over 10,000 Viapoints.
Loading a Route resulted in T-by-T instructions and signal bleeping.

Routes were constructed on Mapsource. That demonstrates how long ago this was. Even so, the unit worked. A 300 consisted of 9 Routes. IIRC, there were 9 Waypoints in the visible list on the handset ( cus the end of one section was the beginning of the next, and the finish was the same Waypoint as the start ).

Other Waypoints on the handset were locations of friends, relatives and bike shops. Going out to a bike shop, and then asking the unit to take me to my Sister's was where the thing fell on its ass. Garmin didn't understand I cannot ride on the M6 and going from Wolverhampton to Solihull does not necessarily require going to Tamworth first.  ;D ;)

« Reply #27 on: 17 May, 2013, 07:32:53 am »
When I used Garmin, a Route had two Waypoints, the beginning and the end. All points between were Viapoints which do not appear on the Waypoint list in the handset. Between the two Waypoints could be a share of over 10,000 Viapoints.

Routes were constructed on Mapsource. That demonstrates how long ago this was. Even so, the unit worked. A 300 consisted of 9 Routes. IIRC, there were 9 Waypoints in the visible list on the handset ( cus the end of one section was the beginning of the next, and the finish was the same Waypoint as the start ).

I'm not sure about older devices - but there is definitely some form of "50 point" limit for auto routing on newer devices including the eTrex 30.

What I'm less clear on is whether (as in my post) this only affects On Road routing, and whether that 50 is just Way Points or also includes Via Points.

« Reply #28 on: 17 May, 2013, 07:39:30 am »

I'm not sure about older devices - but there is definitely some form of "50 point" limit for auto routing on newer devices including the eTrex 30.

What I'm less clear on is whether (as in my post) this only affects On Road routing, and whether that 50 is just Way Points or also includes Via Points.

Time in reconnaissance is never time wasted.

Test, test and retest until you are satisfied the experimental results agree with the theory. If it doesn't, the theory is wrong.

« Reply #29 on: 17 May, 2013, 07:40:39 am »

Time in reconnaissance is never time wasted.

Test, test and retest until you are satisfied the experimental results agree with the theory. If it doesn't, the theory is wrong.

Totally agree - last thing I want to do is go miles of course in the middle of the night because I didn't understand the technology properly.

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #30 on: 04 June, 2013, 04:27:14 pm »
More questions.

I have a new Etrex20. I know from loading a 400km downloaded from ridewithgps that the gpx exceedes the max number of points on the etrex20 as the route is curtailed around 345km. Mercurykev reduced the number of points, and now has told me bike hike does this. I have a 600km ride coming up this weekend but bike hike is asking for how may points I want to reduce the organisers gpx file to. Its currently around 9000 and something.

Anyone know how many points I can reduce the route to to be able to fit on the gpx. It has a large memory card so memory isn't a limit, but the number of points on the gpx, and I'd like to know for future use.

Cheers,

Dave C
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

« Reply #31 on: 04 June, 2013, 07:02:09 pm »
More questions.

I have a new Etrex20. I know from loading a 400km downloaded from ridewithgps that the gpx exceedes the max number of points on the etrex20 as the route is curtailed around 345km. Mercurykev reduced the number of points, and now has told me bike hike does this. I have a 600km ride coming up this weekend but bike hike is asking for how may points I want to reduce the organisers gpx file to. Its currently around 9000 and something.

Anyone know how many points I can reduce the route to to be able to fit on the gpx. It has a large memory card so memory isn't a limit, but the number of points on the gpx, and I'd like to know for future use.

Cheers,

Dave C

I've read of a few "limits" wrt to the latest etrex:

2000 waypoints
10,000 track points
50 way points on a route when using auto routing

I'm still learning, so can't really say which of these it might be (except the latter which seems unlikely).

The recent 250km routes I have ridden have had around 1,200 points in the track I created to follow. They worked fine, and the number of points was plenty for a good track (probably more way more than needed in fact). I did notice one slight issue on the last ride which was that when navigating by following a track, it didn't also log the same track as a record of the ride. I've yet to get to the bottom of that one - could have been a glitch or user error. I didn't do a manual save or reset of the track before powering off at the end of the ride.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #32 on: 04 June, 2013, 07:41:23 pm »
In answer to your earlier questions about the 50 point limit, that is 50 waypoints in total which includes both 'user' waypoints and 'via' points (as may be generated by a Route tool).  It only applies to 'follow road' routing, in 'direct' mode the limit is 250.  Both limits are more than ample for a day-long ride, giving you approximately 250km on typical English lanes.  For longer rides just use more than one Route (same applies to Tracks).

Its a good question because I've seen conflicting opinions here (I used to have an E30 but don't any more).  I've seen:
500 (the 'safe' answer)
10,000 (I suspect the 'right' answer)
unlimited (in view of your truncation, obviously not)

Card size doesn't really enter into it because Routes and Tracks are not read directly from the card - they are transferred to the device memory and processed from there.

If it's the Scottish Beattock 400 this was recently discussed in another thread here.  The Ridewithgps Track download is (or was last I looked) substantially more than 10,000 points which is why it truncates.  It is, perhaps surprisingly, practical to downsample it to 500 (!) points which will work on any Garmin, and at this resolution every turn is still clearly marked.  The Ridewithgps Route download in this case is, IMO, less usable than the Track.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll