Author Topic: BBC 4 under threat  (Read 4056 times)

Re: BBC 4 under threat
« Reply #25 on: 18 August, 2011, 11:57:48 am »
There's a great comment in Neil Midgley's blog in the Telegraph*:

“It’s as if Thompson is standing with a kitten in his hand,” mused one senior television executive, “and saying, 'If you don’t give me what I want, Mr Tibbles gets it.’ ”

;D

BBC3 sucks.  It's worse than MTV Europe was in the 1990s, and I used to watch that  :-[

As far as I can tell, the yoof spend all their time in an iPhone-induced trance and wouldn't miss it.

To further quote the Telegraph piece,  with regard to  BBC3:

The corporation’s squad of professional worriers – particularly at the supervisory BBC Trust – fret that without it, younger people will not develop a loyalty to Auntie. But today’s youngsters are far more promiscuous and sophisticated in their media consumption than their parents were. For the BBC to try to snare them with a specially labelled channel is like your dad trying to dance at a disco.

Now there's a mental image...  :hand:

* Worryingly, there have been quite a few recent comment articles and blog posts on the Telegraph site that come across as being quite reasonable and not fitting into the raving blue Torygraph stereotype. I take the view that if a number of the commentardariat call the article's author "a bed-wetting pinko liberal" (or words to that effect), then the tone of the aforementioned article is about right.  ;)
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #26 on: 18 August, 2011, 12:11:12 pm »
We're such snobs on YACF!   :)

Just as I enjoy some naff food and naff music, I enjoy some of BBC3's programmes, eg. Junior Doctors and Small Teen in a Big World.

Instead of cutting either BBC3 or BBC4, I just want the beeb to waste less money on BBC1.  Get rid of whatshisface, the camp Irish "comedian" presenter, for a start.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

microphonie

• Tyke 2
« Reply #27 on: 19 August, 2011, 05:49:47 pm »
Sod BBC4 (although if it goes it'll be a shame) - the bastards have cancelled Ideal - the most consistently funny/original sit-com on the Beeb over the last few years. This despite record ratings for the recently-broadcast seventh series  >:(
Bingo! That's what I am, a saviour.
A sort of cocky version of Jesus.