Author Topic: Fully Loaded - Touring Bikes  (Read 230935 times)

Re: Fully Loaded - Touring Bikes
« Reply #675 on: 09 September, 2018, 08:03:32 pm »
Here's my bike a couple of weeks back, shortcutting crappy weather by taking the train. "Fully" loaded for four nights away at B&B / YHAs.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #676 on: 09 September, 2018, 08:34:18 pm »
I shall add to this thread next weekend...
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Chris N

« Reply #677 on: 09 September, 2018, 08:45:55 pm »

Cotic Escapade (lightly) loaded on my way to Bicester a couple of weeks ago.

« Reply #678 on: 11 September, 2018, 10:02:02 pm »
Here's one from little Joe and me on a recent tour around Lincolnshire.  Not my usual touring bike, this is normally my knocking around town bike, however when the lad asked if he could tour on his own bike rather than on the tandem it was pressed into touring service.  Not lightweight by any means, there's a cricket bat and stumps in there.
Little Joe did really well, 31 miles on our longest day and still full of energy.
IMG_20180830_125041319 by Joe B, on Flickr

rogerzilla

« Reply #679 on: 15 September, 2018, 08:30:51 pm »

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #680 on: 17 September, 2018, 03:47:19 pm »
Hmmm, I was making myself unpopular at the weekend berating fellow ACME goes Dutch riders about not doing up Ortlieb Back and Front Roller panniers correctly.  Yes, I know I am being horribly pedantic and I am behaving twattishly but it bothers me more than it ought.

NB Fred's rear panniers done up correctly.  Double NB, his front panniers are the City model, different from Front Rollers but also done up correctly...

https://flic.kr/p/YQfnG8

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #681 on: 17 September, 2018, 05:25:29 pm »
This is a bugbear of mine:  Using the shoulder strap to close your Front/Back-rollers means you end up carrying and faffing about with four shoulder straps, where you're only likely to carry one or zero bags on your shoulder at any point on the trip.

As such the City-Roller closure, with fixed sockets for the buckles to neatly clip into on the side of the bag, and D-rings for attaching a shoulder strap is a superior design.  Unfortunately, the City-Rollers don't have the useful internal pockets of the Front/Back-Rollers.

Front/Back-Rollers can be closed by connecting the ends of the closure together in the drybag style, but this compromises the waterproofing if the bag is lightly loaded.  Alternatively, you can leave the ends dangling in the breeze, which is fugly.

rogerzilla

« Reply #682 on: 17 September, 2018, 08:31:01 pm »
Only on yacf  ;D

« Reply #683 on: 17 September, 2018, 09:47:26 pm »
This is a bugbear of mine:  Using the shoulder strap to close your Front/Back-rollers means you end up carrying and faffing about with four shoulder straps, where you're only likely to carry one or zero bags on your shoulder at any point on the trip.

If cycle camping I would agree but if YHAs or B&Bs then it probable that I will be carrying four panniers to a room, at which point my Back Rollers go one on each shoulder and the super C fronts get carried in one hand while the saddle bag is in the other.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #684 on: 17 September, 2018, 10:04:44 pm »

If cycle camping I would agree but if YHAs or B&Bs then it probable that I will be carrying four panniers to a room, at which point my Back Rollers go one on each shoulder and the super C fronts get carried in one hand while the saddle bag is in the other.

When I've done that, my Front Rollers (which are the heavy ones, because recumbent) go in one hand, and my Back Rollers go in the other.  If I'm using the overspill dry bag too, it has a strap that works for shouldering.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #685 on: 18 September, 2018, 01:06:27 pm »

Agreed, the shoulder straps are very useful for carrying your panniers off the bike.  And they allow the panniers to be PROPERLY closed thus rendering them very waterproof to the point where I never bother wrapping stuff in plastic bags as the panniers won't leak - ever.

Only on yacf  ;D

It's one of the may reasons I love this place  :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #686 on: 18 September, 2018, 02:14:18 pm »
Agreed, the shoulder straps are very useful for carrying your panniers off the bike.  And they allow the panniers to be PROPERLY closed thus rendering them very waterproof to the point where I never bother wrapping stuff in plastic bags as the panniers won't leak - ever.

Plastic bags aren't for the panniers leaking, they're for organising stuff, not having to bring dirty panniers into your tent and - where applicable - preventing the stuff from leaking on other stuff.

I keep my gadgets, wires, medication, wash things, clean clothes, food etc in dry-bags and not-quite-dry-bags[1], but my down sleeping bag goes straight into a Back-Roller with just its non-waterproof stuff sack for protection.  It's never got wet.  I put dry clothing in a dry-bag to share a pannier with dirty clothing and/or a wet tent and seat cover.

As for shoulder straps, if you want to use them for carrying the bag on your shoulder, the best place for them to be while riding along is inside the bag where they won't get wet or covered in dust.  That (along with having to re-adjust the length) is why I don't like the Ortlieb approach of using them to close the bag, or for that matter the Radical/Brompton approach of not having the strap on detachable buckles/hooks.

Of course, sometimes the shoulder strap is the only way to waterproofly close a lightly-loaded Front/Back-Roller, and therefore necessary.

[1] Alpkit Apollo: Silicone cordura with un-taped seams and a drawstring closure in a variety of sizes and bright colours.  Great for organising your things, and it'll *mostly* contain a shampoo leak.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #687 on: 18 September, 2018, 02:28:50 pm »
Yes sure, I use separate bags for organisational purposes.  I have also got the additional external pockets on my Back Rollers which are handy for putting stuff which might leak in.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #688 on: 18 September, 2018, 03:18:34 pm »
I've moved away from having separate bags-within-panniers for organisation, because I find it takes up more room. It's easier to fit everything in when individual items can tessellate and squash into spaces rather than having things in big lumps.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #689 on: 18 September, 2018, 03:52:57 pm »
Word of the day: tessellate  :thumbsup:

« Reply #690 on: 18 September, 2018, 03:54:48 pm »
I've moved away from having separate bags-within-panniers for organisation, because I find it takes up more room. It's easier to fit everything in when individual items can tessellate and squash into spaces rather than having things in big lumps.

Vertical rolling in CISCO GBIC large heavy duty ziplock bags is the way to go, everything pushes in vertically

« Reply #691 on: 21 September, 2018, 03:12:45 pm »
I have also got the additional external pockets on my Back Rollers which are handy for putting stuff which might leak in.

I see you have to pierce the main pannier in order to fit these. Does that not create a leakpath into the bag?

And more importantly, why can't I find them in green to match the pannier?!
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #692 on: 21 September, 2018, 03:21:16 pm »
I have also got the additional external pockets on my Back Rollers which are handy for putting stuff which might leak in.

I see you have to pierce the main pannier in order to fit these. Does that not create a leakpath into the bag?

About the same as the rack fixings do.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #693 on: 21 September, 2018, 03:29:03 pm »

About the same as the rack fixings do.

Leaks haven't been a problem. 

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #694 on: 23 September, 2018, 08:29:43 pm »

No shoulder straps on the way back from Uffington. I have a feeling the Super Cs might have originally come with shoulder straps, I know I have various Carradice shoulder straps, but I've never had a use for them on any bike luggage other than bar bags, and only occasionally then.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #695 on: 23 September, 2018, 08:31:17 pm »
I donated a couple of my Carradice shoulder straps (which came with various racktop bags) to the owner of a set of Ortlieb City-Rollers.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #696 on: 02 October, 2018, 06:18:15 pm »
Not exactly fully loaded, but this was the bike set up that got me from Carlisle to Thurso last week :)
Cumbria to Caithness by Marcus Coupe, on Flickr
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #697 on: 02 October, 2018, 06:23:29 pm »
Nicely balanced.  :thumbsup: Is "Slochd" the name of a hill or a description of how you felt on reaching the summit?  :D

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #698 on: 02 October, 2018, 09:14:13 pm »
It's the hill name. I was actually feeling pretty happy at that point though as after having climbed the Strone, Tom Dubh, The Lecht and the Tomintoul to Grantown-on-Spey pass before climbing that one, it was almost entirely downhill to the travelodge in Inverness from there :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #699 on: 14 December, 2018, 08:48:35 pm »
Couldn't see a better topic, but I have to post this cool picture somewhere!
[SHOULD be visible to non-FB folks]

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10156187306899037&set=a.10151952753199037&type=3&eid=ARBQQnvYJ8Xx_PP05rr-dFo_UOg0spDbc8LKFAVoPyD_SOhVNvqC561pQSs1TfRQkrKK1s0yqgQHUKm9

(It's some random dude on the TCR group. Possibly taken in Argentina.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles