Author Topic: Audax - night riding/sleep deprivation/tiredness and possible calamity  (Read 5882 times)

Ultimately we all need to take our responsibility

Yes.

I'm feeling I should add my thoughts, after a lifetime of needing to be very careful around this problem (occasionally falling asleep in lessons as a youngster, then more often in meetings, choir practices, plays, films, and even my own lessons as a teacher a couple of times). This could amuse colleagues, but did not feel at all funny, and it wasn't a sign of boredom or lack of interest.

Obviously therefore I'm cautious with driving and with riding. As far as I'm concerned:

You can't decide to concentrate and stay awake (however interesting the film [eg] is).
0pening car windows, loud music, talking, etc aren't likely to have much effect.
It doesn't depend reliably on how much sleep you had last night, or on what time you started - rather, on your activities for the last few days.
On longer (or any) rides, doziness signalled a need to find a way of sleeping almost immediately (rarely as difficult as might be thought). Same with driving.
But, having designated sleep stops wouldn't solve the difficulty - sleep can't be expected to happen because you want it to. Similarly for prearranged stops when driving.
As has been said,  many sorts of circumstances tend to "compel" people to drive when they are unfit to. And, unlike blood alcohol content, sleepiness is not directly related to what you've just been doing, which makes legislating about it tricky.

I guess that most people are very familiar with some version of the above, because otherwise the roads would be even more dangerous than they are.

Ongoing thanks and best wishes to VB: your original post is terrifyingly shocking. And life-saving. Very much appreciated.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
So for those of us who are larks and happy with early, you just shift the risk the other way. The solution is really just the awareness raising as no "one size fits all" prescriptive solution is likely to exist. Ultimately we all need to take our responsibility as VB has done

Yes that's exactly what I'm getting at.
AS an org I can do as much as facilities and funds allow, but ultimately the rider/driver has to know themselves, and that's a function of life.

The most ridiculous it's got for me was the late afternoon ferry back from the Isle of Man to Heysham, thought was to get a snooze in the overcab of the motorhome but whenever I tried that I couldn't sleep.
Eventually did stop and get sleep, in a layby 5 miles from home.

Further to that, I always tried to sleep after a 24hr mtb race whether it was a morning or midday finish, and never really managed it.
It was always the onset of darkness that came with the risk of me getting sleepy, this meant a 10am finish, 3hrs trying to doze and getting as far as Dunkeld from Fort William before getting a snooze at the Hermitage.
But that is me.

Flâneur

• ♫ P*nctured bicycle on a hillside desolate...
Possibly the best result would be for Garry to agree to include his story in ARRIVEE.

Given the current climate in the country of media and political opportunists pouncing on cycling-related incidents to get things banned, I'd be very wary of that.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
Thanks Garry for posting, and for the genuine warning.  I wish you all the best for your recovery.

In my case, age is definitely a factor, I found it easier when I first started Audax to drive after an event, but avoid it now as I seem to be more prone to struggling with tiredness when driving.   I do wonder if the greater comfort and less requirement for driver input in modern cars is a factor?

If driving is the only option (thank you Aslef) then I book to stay the night after the event and travel back the next day. 

We are, however, just a very minor subset of a much wider risk of driving when tired, but I agree with Flaneur that there are some editorials out there that would seize on such a story to bash cyclists.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

We are, however, just a very minor subset of a much wider risk of driving when tired...

true, but our tiredness can be pretty extreme

hellymedic

• Just do it!
We are, however, just a very minor subset of a much wider risk of driving when tired...
true, but our tiredness can be pretty extreme

So true!
Anyone who has observed the ‘wreckage’ sleeping after a long ride will see bodies that hardly budge.
Most folk turn over in bed fairly frequently.
Exhausted AUKs don’t...