Author Topic: Dealing with congestion  (Read 16588 times)

ian

Re: Dealing with congestion
« Reply #50 on: 30 January, 2019, 07:37:01 pm »
When we lived in Brockley, we parked our dustbin in our dedicated space (on the private street), otherwise, it would have been annexed (we lived a few minutes from the station). I think we could have been persuaded to rent it if anyone had asked, we'd got rid of our car and it was only occasionally used by guests.

In the next place, our neighbours wanted to rent our space (in fact they came round about five minutes after we moved in). Which would have been nice, but we liked the idea of parking our own car in it.

« Reply #51 on: 30 January, 2019, 07:48:52 pm »
If you do have an unused parking space that you could rent out, especially in a premium area, then I don't think you should overlook the malevolent glee of not renting out that space and blocking it off so that it can't be used. Money simply cannot buy such riches.... :demon: ;D

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #52 on: 30 January, 2019, 09:37:07 pm »
I'd deliberately park an old bike in the space and bolt it into the ground.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #53 on: 30 January, 2019, 09:53:53 pm »
With a sign stating:
'Car parking space occupied, by prior arrangement'.
Or something..... :demon:
No. That's just mischievous.

Ben T

« Reply #54 on: 30 January, 2019, 10:48:28 pm »
Or just park a really, really small car there, like a matchbox toy car.
Or a skip  :)

« Reply #55 on: 30 January, 2019, 10:53:39 pm »
Or just park a really, really small car there, like a matchbox toy car.
Or a skip  :-)
A skip? And have all the neighbours fill it with their rubbish?

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
« Reply #56 on: 31 January, 2019, 07:40:44 am »
It's a designated parking space and (my) private property, so I could probably SORN a van and dump it there, even wheel clamp it if it works. Nobody uses it as far as I know. I can see it if I poke my head out of my bedroom window.

Or if that 'lowers the tone'  an 'orse box trailer.
Jennifer - Walker of hills

« Reply #57 on: 31 January, 2019, 08:09:30 am »
Or in the case of one of our neighbours, a large boat. It used to be a medium-sized boat, but overnight a good few years back it doubled in size. It's down a quiet cul-de-sac arm of a quiet cul-de-sac, so it doesn't cause any problems, but it's an unusual sight out of the window ;D

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #58 on: 31 January, 2019, 09:00:12 am »
recently on one of the site roads where I work there was a parked hovercraft - that was also an unusual sight!

weird shit like this often pops up on ebay - classic car restoration projects are often abandoned and are basically worthless to their owners, so there are probably other (more interesting) vehicles around for pennies. (military jets? )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #59 on: 31 January, 2019, 11:37:40 am »
Get a tank and park it there just to intimidate anyone who might be tempted to block you in! ;)

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #60 on: 31 January, 2019, 12:27:56 pm »
Get a tank and park it there just to intimidate anyone who might be tempted to block you in! ;)
My younger brother has a Daimler Ferret armoured car and has been known to do exactly that!
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #61 on: 31 January, 2019, 12:31:55 pm »
My younger brother has a Daimler Ferret armoured car and has been known to do exactly that!

Has he worked out how to park it WITHOUT intimidating anyone?!?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #62 on: 31 January, 2019, 12:39:25 pm »

Has he worked out how to park it WITHOUT intimidating anyone?!?
Yep, a large shed on a remote farm in the middle of nowhere. Also comes in handy for storing the 7.5 ton Bedford truck (also ex-military) which he uses to transport the aforementioned Ferret.
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

Ben T

« Reply #63 on: 31 January, 2019, 11:35:58 pm »
It's a designated parking space and (my) private property, so I could probably SORN a van and dump it there, even wheel clamp it if it works. Nobody uses it as far as I know. I can see it if I poke my head out of my bedroom window.

Or if that 'lowers the tone'  an 'orse box trailer.

Or just an 'orse.

« Reply #64 on: 01 February, 2019, 08:40:17 am »
I gather wooden ones are good for storage...

« Reply #65 on: 01 February, 2019, 12:47:48 pm »
My dad discovered that a dodgy an enterprising mate of his had been renting out the spaces in the church car park to Whitstable commuters. There were a lot of days when the church didn't use it and was very convenient for the town or the station.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #66 on: 01 February, 2019, 01:10:44 pm »
I've done car park duty in the charity car park in the school that's next to the library in Whitstable.
Park your car and pay by voluntary contribution, stay as long as you like.
We took over £700.00 on the Saturday that I was there - That's 09:00 to 17:00

« Reply #67 on: 10 February, 2019, 12:50:56 pm »
Don't we need MORE congestion for private motorists but minimal or no congestion for public transport and emergency vehicles?

How we get to that of course is the question, and it won't be easy given that everything in the UK for the last 60 years has been based around the motor car.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #68 on: 10 February, 2019, 12:58:07 pm »
I'm not sure that more congestion for private motorists will benefit the world at large. Vehicles at idle are less efficient and more polluting. And they're an eyesore. They also prevent use of the road for other vehicles and other purposes, including crossing the road. And they're still cars.

There might be gains to be had from concentrating private motorist traffic on a few main roads, perhaps by use of selective filtering, but only to the extent that it puts people off driving.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #69 on: 10 February, 2019, 11:03:27 pm »

So where I live we have a problem with parking. Despite a large obvious space that is accessible and has a number of vehicles parked there, people have taken to parking their vehicles on the pavement, usually at the choke point where there is already a lamp post in the pavement. The lamp post constricts the pavement width such that a wheel chair won't fit, and only the narrowest of push chairs will fit. Parking a vehicle there makes it almost impassible except on foot if you stand sideways. It's driving me nuts, not just the inconsiderate parking, but which ever moron put the lamp post there. I've been considering getting some cards printed up with "you park like an arsehole" in a selection of languages and fixing them to the vehicles in question.

This is Amsterdam, all vehicles in this situation are bikes (or a close approximation, if you're charitable in how you define "bike").

We have to be careful, what we say now about the parking of cars on our streets, if we take the cars away, people will start saying the same about bikes. Sure parking a bike takes up less space than a car, but you're still using public land to park a private vehicle.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #70 on: 10 February, 2019, 11:13:30 pm »
Several months ago I went out with the local CTC on one of their Wednesday night pub rides. The pub we ended up at was, unusually, right in town, meaning security was an issue and the only thing to lock to was a lamppost and some railings. These were on the pavement, with cars parked legally and reasonably along the street. "I don't think we should park there," said Dave (it's a rule of these rides that there's always at least one Dave), "I'm conscious that we won't leave enough room for a wheelchair to pass." And he was right. Inconsiderate parking which blocks the passage of a wheelchair or push chair is inconsiderate whatever the vehicle is. It does no good to excuse it on the grounds that it's smaller than a car.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #71 on: 10 February, 2019, 11:15:20 pm »

This is the lamp post:

The space behind the small railing where the bikes are, has stepped access at either end, so if you are in a wheel chair or a buggy, you have to go round it via the bit where the lamp post is...

People have taken to parking bikes between the lamp post and the small railing.

J
--

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #72 on: 10 February, 2019, 11:28:06 pm »
Why does Streetview, presuming that's what that is, scrub out the shop names with red blocker like that in NL? Or did you do it, in which case same question?

Solution here is surely to remodel the street so that area of pavement is accessed by a slope instead of/as well as steps. But in the meantime, no, people shouldn't be parking bikes (or cars or shopping trolleys) there.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #73 on: 10 February, 2019, 11:35:55 pm »
Why does Streetview, presuming that's what that is, scrub out the shop names with red blocker like that in NL? Or did you do it, in which case same question?

I did, it's from street view, and to make it harder to find the building.

Solution here is surely to remodel the street so that area of pavement is accessed by a slope instead of/as well as steps. But in the meantime, no, people shouldn't be parking bikes (or cars or shopping trolleys) there.

Yes, but that would be a complicated situation, as the land between the building and the railing is owned by the building, where as the pavement is owned by the Gemente (city council).

The lamp post could be moved back 2 tiles, or forward 2 tiles, then there is enough space.

The thing that just boggles the mind is how anyone thought it was ok in the first place. It's just crazy.

J
--

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #74 on: 10 February, 2019, 11:38:34 pm »

I did, it's from street view, and to make it harder to find the building.
No one would have paid any attention to it before but now half of yacf will be searching for it.