Author Topic: Essex PBP Training  (Read 14865 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Essex PBP Training
« on: 06 January, 2015, 07:14:49 pm »
Somewhere for big ideas and cunning plans to build up to the Big French Ride [and to help keep the MEMWNS thread on-topic].

Tippers and I are riding the Willy Warmer in a couple of weeks and also planning on a DIY using the Horsepower 200km route [if I can't get it sorted as a perm. in time] probably on Saturday 31st January. Wingnut otp has expressed an interest in the latter.

Actually it doesn't have to be loads of 200s, I prefer a civilised 100km or thereabouts in winter, as with OD's recent ride, [despite the rain!]

Re: Essex PBP Training
« Reply #1 on: 06 January, 2015, 07:23:09 pm »
Do DIYs count towards PBP entries?
Am I going to have to join the Essex SR series sooner rather than later? I don't want to leave it too late and find it's already oversubscribed.
Can I leave earlier or later than the advertised time for the HP200? Earliest train to Chelmsford means I'll be arriving at Dunmow post start and if I ride from home I'd like to start ASAP rather than get cold.

kthxbai  :-*

Cycling Daddy

• "We shall have an adventure by and by," said Don Q
« Reply #2 on: 06 January, 2015, 07:30:42 pm »
I am fairly certain that in order to be a qualifier it needs to be a BRM which is not possible with a DIY.  On the calendar you need to sort on RM only that should give you qualifying events. L
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 06 January, 2015, 07:43:17 pm »
Yup, BRM qualifiers, within the specified time slots, though 'Helpers' Rides' a week or two before count [- Del, I'll email you the list].

Essex SR [made up] rulz = one DIY is ok, the rest calendar events, though.

You can start a ride late or early if you want, though I am making the hall available for a sleepover before the Horsepower and Flatlands....and the Flitchbikes 100/200 in Aug, if there is the demand.

Manningtree events are of course very train friendly and then there's the curry before the 300 and breakfast at the Station Buffet before the 400 [and probably 24 hours later] :thumbsup:

« Reply #4 on: 06 January, 2015, 11:30:36 pm »
Just a note. If anyone is interested in the Willy Warmer (17th Jan) I am taking the team car down on the Friday night picking up Tomsk on the way. I have room for up to 2 more silly sods bad asses

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #5 on: 07 January, 2015, 07:00:01 am »
I'm considering riding Dick Turpins Day Out on the 18th. January after The Willy Warmer, anyone fancy coming along ?

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: 07 January, 2015, 08:12:01 am »
^ I can't do 18th, but the following Saturday [24th] is possible for DTDO.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #7 on: 07 January, 2015, 08:15:15 am »
I'll be back over the other side of The North Sea, as I fly out on the 19th, 'tis a shame that.

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #8 on: 07 January, 2015, 01:32:54 pm »
I'm tentatively interested in doing some Essex based DIYs/perms over the coming months, although ice and/or heavy rain would most likely keep me in bed. I'll keep an eye on this thread to see what you guys end up arranging.

I'm also booked to ride the Willy Warmer on the 17th (and am hoping to ride to the start from North London - although this might well be the death of me), so may well meet some of you then. :thumbsup:

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #9 on: 07 January, 2015, 03:05:10 pm »
Entry forms all printed for another Essex SR ready to be handed to Tomsk this evening  :thumbsup:
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: 11 January, 2015, 07:00:03 pm »
DIY entry sent off for 200 on the Horsepower route. 31st of the month is looking like the preferred date still, 07:30 start, though later would be ok if necessary. I don't mind a late finish if anyone wants more time to get over here first thing.
Approval granted for a permanent version - I'll get some cards next and promote it a bit - should interest CC Sudbury Audaxers and others in East Anglia.

Edit: Should get cards in time for the end of the month...

Wingnut

• Clunk (GFFR)
« Reply #11 on: 16 January, 2015, 08:43:35 pm »
Somewhere for big ideas and cunning plans to build up to the Big French Ride [and to help keep the MEMWNS thread on-topic].

Tippers and I are riding the Willy Warmer in a couple of weeks and also planning on a DIY using the Horsepower 200km route [if I can't get it sorted as a perm. in time] probably on Saturday 31st January. Wingnut otp has expressed an interest in the latter.

Actually it doesn't have to be loads of 200s, I prefer a civilised 100km or thereabouts in winter, as with OD's recent ride, [despite the rain!]

Wingnut

• Clunk (GFFR)
« Reply #12 on: 16 January, 2015, 08:46:43 pm »

Disregard my above entry: computer numpty operator error.
Tomsk:  I have entered all yr BRM rides ( 200, 300, 400 & 600 )
Ketchup soon :)

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: 18 January, 2015, 07:22:59 pm »
Saturday 31st still on for 200km 'Horses for Courses', weather dependant, of course....basic plan=Lavenham and Snetterton for café stops, Golden Lion [Wetherspoons] in Newmarket and drinkies/food at the Angel and Harp afterwards. So: possibly a full value ride [12+ hours?] but a civilised pace and a decent amount of down time.

07:00 start, or would later suit?

Roll call so far: Tomsk, Tippers_kiwi, Wilkyboy, Wingnut?

« Reply #14 on: 19 January, 2015, 02:35:06 pm »

7 is good for me but will work in with others.

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #15 on: 19 January, 2015, 02:51:45 pm »
Waiting for a pass from SWMBO, but I'm keen to ride on the 31st if I get the required permission... Happy to fit around other people for start times as well - will I be able to enter it as a perm via the AUK website by then, do you know?

I had to dash off to catch a train right after the Willy Warmer Arrivee, otherwise I'd have tried to locate you guys and introduce myself. I rode with a chap from Colchester between Kingsclere and a little way after Winnersh, and we had a chat whilst shovelling down snack food in Winnersh Sainsburys - not sure if was one of you guys?

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #16 on: 19 January, 2015, 02:53:30 pm »

Roll call so far: Tomsk, Tippers_kiwi, Wilkyboy, Wingnut?

I'm awaiting permission, but I would ride down from Cambridge (55km) and so would prefer a 7.30 start, if possible, else I'll have to catch you up at one of the café stops.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: 20 January, 2015, 07:49:12 pm »
Lets go for a later start then, to give everyone more time to assemble: 08:30?

I'm awaiting the cards, but I might get round to streamlining the entry procedure - otherwise just bring a form and pay on the day.

LMT

« Reply #18 on: 20 January, 2015, 08:28:04 pm »
Would this be doubling as the helpers ride? Or is that on another date?

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: 21 January, 2015, 10:10:13 am »
^ Helpers' rides should be within 2 weeks before or 1 after the event - sorry - this is PBP training!! Helpers' ride for The Horsepower planned for 28th Feb.

« Reply #20 on: 21 January, 2015, 10:36:01 am »
8:30, how civilised, I like it

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #21 on: 21 January, 2015, 11:43:15 pm »
Thanks Tom, that's smashing  :thumbsup:  Not quite such a red-eye start now.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

LMT

« Reply #22 on: 22 January, 2015, 09:54:41 pm »
^ Helpers' rides should be within 2 weeks before or 1 after the event - sorry - this is PBP training!! Helpers' ride for The Horsepower planned for 28th Feb.

Thanks for clarifying, I'll e-mail you nearer the time and have fun tomorrow week.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #23 on: 24 January, 2015, 10:18:55 am »
Rather generously I've been allowed out unsupervised for the day. I'd like to join you guys if that's Ok. Whereabouts are you meeting?

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #24 on: 24 January, 2015, 10:29:19 am »

I had to dash off to catch a train right after the Willy Warmer Arrivee, otherwise I'd have tried to locate you guys and introduce myself. I rode with a chap from Colchester between Kingsclere and a little way after Winnersh, and we had a chat whilst shovelling down snack food in Winnersh Sainsburys - not sure if was one of you guys?
[/quote]

That was probably me. You guys were cracking along at a good pace. I couldn't keep up.

I've got a pass for this ride, hope you have too. See you Saturday.