Author Topic: Route help - Peterborough to Wells next to the sea (East Anglia)  (Read 1356 times)

Does anyone have a good route to Wells from the Peterborough area?

I know a lot of the roads are fast, straight, and carry a lot of traffic so very keen to ask for local advice.

Re: Route help - Peterborough to Wells next to the sea (East Anglia)
« Reply #1 on: 11 July, 2019, 09:37:33 pm »
I haven't ridden that route but make sure you check the next beach west of Wells opp. Holkham hall. You reach it walking thru a wall of trees to find a vast sandy beach. I organised a trip to take in that beach

Sent from my Lenovo TAB S8-50F using Tapatalk

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2 on: 11 July, 2019, 10:20:15 pm »
YACFers from yesteryear have visited that beach, which is clothing optional! This was during a visit to the campsite at Burnham Wossname that NSTN organised. I have been there since on a tandem tour that I undertook with Nutkin some years ago.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #3 on: 11 July, 2019, 11:08:55 pm »
Wowbagger - we were a mile or more away from what used to be the official 'clothing optional' beach. I should have mentioned at the time...  :demon:

In answer to the original question, Peterborough - NCN 63 to Wisbech (pronounced 'Wiz-beach') then NCN 1 to Wells Next The Sea, gives you an almost-entirely-on-quiet-road route, although locals would probably by-pass a few of the rougher roads/shared paths. ;)

It depends where in the 'Peterborough area' you're starting from. I'm normally crossing from North of Peterborough, so pick up the old Thorney Rd from Peakirk through Thorney, then use minor roads each side of the A47, with a couple of 100m A47 bits to get to Guyhirn. From there if you head towards March, you can pick up NCN 63 to Wisbech again (I haven't done March to Kings Lynn section, but ridden the rest).

North Norfolk is hillier than you would expect, but a delight. Going through the grounds of Holkham Hall is a highlight of the ride.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #4 on: 12 July, 2019, 09:38:42 am »
Oh. The best pub on the route is 25 metres past the right turn as you get to Ringstead - the ‘Gin Trap’  :thumbsup:

There’s not many shops or villages on the route, so carry enough water, and take advantage when you see places.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #5 on: 12 July, 2019, 03:31:16 pm »
I've got some GPS tracks of a ride from Leicestershire to Cromer avoiding any main roads. It passes just north of Peterborough through a place called Glinton and passes within a couple of miles of Wells.
PM me with email address if you want them

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6 on: 12 July, 2019, 04:25:39 pm »
Wowbagger - we were a mile or more away from what used to be the official 'clothing optional' beach. I should have mentioned at the time...  :demon:

We were also about a mile away from anyone else!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #7 on: 15 July, 2019, 09:19:52 pm »
Cheers for all of the information. Very helpful!

Since I was starting from central Peterborough I ended up using NCN 63 then NCN 1, but cut the corner at Wisbech to save 5 miles (via Elm, staying South of the A47).

Ok a sunny day the NCN route feels like a work of genius. Even the gravel sections were fast and there was very little traffic. It don't think I'd fancy the of road sections it in the wet, though.