Author Topic: Preppers and prepping tendencies  (Read 21496 times)

Re: Preppers and prepping tendencies
« Reply #125 on: 23 August, 2019, 05:51:23 pm »
Aldi have 1Kg tubs of Meridian crunchy peanut butter for £4.99.  Keeps for ages & a good source of calories.   I'm going to shove it in the loft so I don't eat it all before TEOTWAWKI.

https://www.trueprepper.com/peanut-butter-survival-food/
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #126 on: 23 August, 2019, 05:52:37 pm »
Suggest you shove it in something meece-proof.

« Reply #127 on: 23 August, 2019, 05:53:32 pm »
Aldi have 1Kg tubs of Meridian crunchy peanut butter for £4.99.  Keeps for ages & a good source of calories.   I'm going to shove it in the loft so I don't eat it all before TEOTWAWKI.

https://www.trueprepper.com/peanut-butter-survival-food/
Find something audaxer-proof.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #128 on: 23 August, 2019, 06:08:40 pm »
I shall be popping down to Clas Ohlson tomorrow & buying some more plastic storage boxes in their closing down sale.   :(

Edit:  4 x 40L plastic storage boxes with lids for £14.  Better quality than the ones Tesco are selling as well.    They are doing 50% discount on lots of stuff & sadly it was the busiest I've ever seen the place.

« Reply #129 on: 25 December, 2019, 01:07:33 pm »
https://thesurvivalmom.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/LDS-Preparedness-Manual.pdf

The Mormon Survival Guide.    Does not include instructions for building an interstellar ship to get the hell away from disaster.*

*Expanse reference.

« Reply #130 on: 24 February, 2020, 05:19:49 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/24/zombie-apocalypse-coronavirus-stockpilers-emergency-food

A crisis is a business opportunity.  I read last week about a Hong Kong supermarket being raided for toilet paper.  I wish I’d bought a few crates of surgical masks last year to flog on Ebay :-)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #131 on: 24 February, 2020, 06:32:10 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/24/zombie-apocalypse-coronavirus-stockpilers-emergency-food

A crisis is a business opportunity.  I read last week about a Hong Kong supermarket being raided for toilet paper.  I wish I’d bought a few crates of surgical masks last year to flog on Ebay :-)
Toilet paper?  Nick the bulk rolls from work or do the Calcutta rinse  :D
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #132 on: 24 February, 2020, 09:37:55 pm »
https://thesurvivalmom.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/LDS-Preparedness-Manual.pdf

The Mormon Survival Guide.    Does not include instructions for building an interstellar ship to get the hell away from disaster.*

*Expanse reference.

That is an eye opener. I had no idea that the Mormons are required to keep a year's worth of supplies by their church. I also had no idea they could spin out 20 pages of bible references to prove the need for it.  :o  ???
The Catholic church is a more succinct. "The Pope said so" would cover it.

So, apart from learning how to fish I think I could manage a 96 day survival pack. But what will MI6 think when they see that lot on my internet history?

Edit: after reading some more... These guys REALLY mean it!
Everyone's favourite windbreak

« Reply #133 on: 25 February, 2020, 07:52:52 am »

“If you think about what’s in your kitchen cupboard today,” he says, “it’s a few tins of beans, some manky rice. You might be able to cobble together food for a few days."

Is this true? Do people really not usually have enough food to last a whole week and "just nip in the car, pop to the supermarket," several times a week?
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #134 on: 25 February, 2020, 01:38:53 pm »
Is this true? Do people really not usually have enough food to last a whole week

I think it depends on whether you're inclined toward actual cooking in the first place, and whether you have more than one cupboard and half a shelf in the freezer for storing all your stuff.  It's also easy to buy food one meal at a time when your daily commute involves walking past suitable shops.

I've always been inclined to keep at least a couple of weeks worth of food, bogroll and medication around, in case I get ill.  The only thing worse than having to go out in the cold and do things when you've got a nasty chest infection is being insufficiently prepared for a bout of D&V.   :hand:

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #135 on: 26 February, 2020, 02:21:32 pm »
I thought I was behind one such in the queueueueue at Mr Sainsbury's House Of Toothy Comestibles yesterday.  Huge bags of cheapo frozen chops, enormous piles of tinned fish, gallons of milk and a sack of sugar bigger than my head.  Until I saw the logo on her sweatshirt.  Vetinary service ;D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #136 on: 26 February, 2020, 02:32:23 pm »
I thought I was behind one such in the queueueueue at Mr Sainsbury's House Of Toothy Comestibles yesterday.  Huge bags of cheapo frozen chops, enormous piles of tinned fish, gallons of milk and a sack of sugar bigger than my head.  Until I saw the logo on her sweatshirt.  Vetinary service ;D

I dunno, that seems like a cunning way of getting the stockpiling done without spooking the sheeple.  :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #137 on: 26 February, 2020, 02:33:35 pm »
Is this true? Do people really not usually have enough food to last a whole week and "just nip in the car, pop to the supermarket," several times a week?

Two different things.

I go to the local supermarket 6 or 7 times a week. We don't really do a "big shop" and tend to just buy stuff for the next day or so each time we pass it (and one of us passes it at least twice a day on the school run or on the way to work - on foot I may add). Every couple of months we'll either do a big shop in the car (or by delivery) but this is generally for heavy items that we don't want to have to lug home by hand, stuff like washing powder, etc. I like the spontaneity of cooking rather than planning things a week in advance.

But I could probably feed all 3 of us for a good 3-4 weeks with what's in the fridge/freezer and cupboards if necessary.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #138 on: 02 May, 2020, 03:13:18 pm »

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #139 on: 03 May, 2020, 12:22:03 pm »
I no longer carry a SAK or Leatherman when visiting London. Too many of the places I go to have bag searches & metal detectors.  The woman at the Royal Galleries at Buckingham Palace thought my tiny Leatherman Squirt was gorgeous , but I still had to collect it on the way out.

When I was in London most recently I met up with an old friend. We thought we'd nip in a museum. She turned to me and asked "how big is the knife you have on you?" She appears to know me too well. On that occasion I had just my Leatherman Squirt, which security didn't even notice. Normally tho I tend to carry a Svord Peasant Mini knife, it's UK legal in that it doesn't lock, and is short. I tend to keep it in my bra, much to the amazement of people round these parts when I take it out to use it. I did so in a restaurant with a group of friends a few weeks before lock down. This then started a discussion on which surprised people more, the fact I carry a knife, or where I store it...

I don't consider myself a prepper, tho I have dabbled in bushcraft, I do have a week or 2's worth of camping food plus stoves etc... in the house. I was certainly better prepared when I lived in Kent, there I had an array of weaponry, 500l of water, and several weeks food, as well as knowing where I could forage locally. But as non of the weaponry would fit through Eurostar security (for some reason longbows and 2.7m spears are outside the luggage specs for said service...), I left it all behind.

Over here I normally do a home delivery from the supermarket every 6-8 weeks. This usually coincides with when toilet roll is on offer, and I get 2 16 roll packs for a couple of euro cheaper. The supermarket website has a handy feature for "add your usual stuff to basket" What I didn't realise is it doesn't check if you have already done this, meaning that having already gone through and added lots of stuff, including said 32 bog rolls, I then click "add usual stuff", and it added them again. Resulting in the guy arriving at my door with 15l of coke, 64 toilet rolls, and a couple of crates of food. This was in January, rather useful timing given what happened in March...

We got a letter recently telling us that the electricity company is coming to rewire the feed to the building, and we can expect to be without power for a whole day. I had a rummage, and have dug out the pair of 3kva UPS, and charged them. Then rejigged the network to run off a USB powered access point, meaning I can run it off one of my 100Wh battery banks. Meaning I just have to power my laptop and the cable modem off the UPS. Should last for most of the day, I hope.

I am realising that I am woefully deficient in solar power in this country, I left my panels in the UK.

When I lived in the UK I was an emergency response volunteer with a large UK charity, this gave me some useful training, and more importantly, an insight into what the UK has ready to roll in event of emergency. I'm not a prepper, I'm just a paranoid geek...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #140 on: 03 May, 2020, 02:47:50 pm »
And how does a 2.7m spear fit into foraging? Are there still mammoths roaming the Kentish Weald?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #141 on: 03 May, 2020, 02:53:09 pm »
And how does a 2.7m spear fit into foraging? Are there still mammoths roaming the Kentish Weald?

To be honest the last thing I hit with a spear was a human... I tend to think of them more as a defensive weapon than one for hunting. For hunting I have the bows... That said the last thing I shot with a bow was a friend...

J

--

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #142 on: 03 May, 2020, 02:59:30 pm »
For hunting I have the bows... That said the last thing I shot with a bow was a friend...

Correction, the last thing I shot that wasn't myself. I'm still not sure how, but I managed to shoot myself in the face with my own arrow.

J
--

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #143 on: 03 May, 2020, 03:15:29 pm »
I note you say "was" a friend. Understandable. If I shot myself in the face with my own arrow, I wouldn't be my own friend anymore either.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #144 on: 03 May, 2020, 04:42:25 pm »

To be honest the last thing I hit with a spear was a human... I tend to think of them more as a defensive weapon than one for hunting. For hunting I have the bows... That said the last thing I shot with a bow was a friend...

J
My one-time work colleague whom, for the purposes of this post, we'll refer to as Bad Stuart, lives in one of the less salubrious parts of Brum.
On the inside of his front door, attached to the frame using a Terry clip, is a javelin.
That's not exactly a close-combat weapon.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #145 on: 03 May, 2020, 05:02:17 pm »

My one-time work colleague whom, for the purposes of this post, we'll refer to as Bad Stuart, lives in one of the less salubrious parts of Brum.
On the inside of his front door, attached to the frame using a Terry clip, is a javelin.

My cqb weapon if choice was always the Sæx. I used to sleep with one under my pillow. When I explained this to a friend who was sharing the bed, they said "that's fine, no sæx before marriage..."

Unfortunately. As with everything else, Eurostar security means it's in the UK still...

J
--

« Reply #146 on: 04 May, 2020, 09:33:27 am »

J
Use it like a quarter-staff, it would be very handy I think. Particularly if you jab at feet with the end.

So, MrsC has taken to ordering food online. While she was unpacking the 3 boxes of food delivered at the end of last week (various flours, dried beans, 500g bags of spices), I made a comment about we we are starting to look like 'preppers'.
"What's a prepper" she says "I've never heard that word.".

There are two of us. So much food here that it doesn't fit into cupboards, there are now stacks of plastic crates full of food.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #147 on: 04 May, 2020, 12:03:33 pm »

Just before lockdown, I went out and bought another 500 shotgun cartridges. Plenty of pigeons, phesants, and other wildlife I can turn into food with those.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #148 on: 04 May, 2020, 12:33:51 pm »
This thread's making me feel under-armed.  (Not in the deodorant sense.)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #149 on: 04 May, 2020, 12:38:05 pm »
This thread's making me feel under-armed.  (Not in the deodorant sense.)

I'm sure you can molish a bow and arrow of sufficient power to deal with the ASBO geese.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.