Author Topic: Etape Caledonia video  (Read 2540 times)

Etape Caledonia video
« on: 22 May, 2016, 07:13:22 am »
Just thought I'd share this for those on the dark side...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMPLFd4D1ig

It was too congested to be a really good ride IMO. (If you have low patience, watching for a couple of minutes from 9:00 gives a pretty good feel for what it was mostly like. I was soft pedalling and unable to get up the front to make mayhem due to all the bodies in the way. The Tour o' the Borders is much better..)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: Etape Caledonia video
« Reply #1 on: 22 May, 2016, 11:34:08 am »
looks a great route, perhaps for a smaller group though. Horribly congested as you say.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #2 on: 22 May, 2016, 12:58:05 pm »
About a month before I went up for a route recce. It was a bit busy with motors on just a couple of parts, but largely deserted. The main disadvantage is that on such narrow roads, when there *could be* a car coming the other way it massively reduces the fun. For me that's at least half the value in a roads closed event (in fact, I've never bothered to ride an "open road" sportive. I can just do that on my own).

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #3 on: 22 May, 2016, 05:39:47 pm »
I thought they had silly rules about what sorts of bikes you can ride? Are recumbents allowed?

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #4 on: 22 May, 2016, 06:24:06 pm »
lots of very narrow lanes around here as well, same trouble - kind of dulls the edge of blasting around the fens knowing something could be coming round the corner, or adds a bit of twitchy bum excitement depending on your view.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #5 on: 22 May, 2016, 09:44:50 pm »
I thought they had silly rules about what sorts of bikes you can ride? Are recumbents allowed?

Don't think so. https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/perth-kinross/168891/etape-caledonia-hell-handbike-marcus-vows/ etc. etc.

Some do, Etape Loch Ness I don't think want my money, YMMV

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #6 on: 23 May, 2016, 12:29:13 am »
From their FAQs. http://etapecaledonia.co.uk/faqs
What sort of bike can I use?

Bikes which are not of standard design must be approved by the organisers before the event. The organisers reserve the right to withdraw a participant from the event if their bike is considered, in the organiser’s opinion, to represent a danger to the cyclist or other participants. Please note that fixed wheel bikes (bikes that use the pedals as a brake) are not permitted.

A recumbent could be classed as "not of standard design".
I don't know why they ban fixed wheel bikes?

« Reply #7 on: 23 May, 2016, 01:10:33 am »
I just took that to mean something which you bodged up yourself, like a tall bike or maybe a weird one-off like the Obree/Boardman hour bikes; especially as they call out posing a danger to participants. Recumbents might not be UCI legal but of all the things to accuse them of, killer recumbents doesn't exactly spring to the top of the list :)

There's a guy on a recumbent in one of the finishing line pics who apparently has ridden it every single year. I guess that would have given the organisers plenty of time to stop him if they wanted to.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #8 on: 23 May, 2016, 07:52:37 am »
Is 'sitting on a wheel' a lost art in sportives?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #9 on: 23 May, 2016, 08:05:34 am »

It appears so. A bit silly really.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #10 on: 23 May, 2016, 08:31:45 am »
It was too congested to be a really good ride IMO. (If you have low patience, watching for a couple of minutes from 9:00 gives a pretty good feel for what it was mostly like. I was soft pedalling and unable to get up the front to make mayhem due to all the bodies in the way. The Tour o' the Borders is much better..)

Which start group were you in? I was in the 'premium' group at the front (posing for pics with Chris Boardman) and took 4h30 overall, but I don't recall being passed by a recumbent - you might have come by when I was at a feed station.

I didn't have a problem with congestion - probably because I was mostly pootling round at my own pace, just enjoying the scenery and chatting to other riders, so I spent most of the ride being passed rather than passing other riders. Although I did latch on to a quick group as they came by at around 90km and so covered the last 40km in not much over an hour.

I got the impression that many of the riders had never ridden in a group before. Some very strange behaviour. Quite a few apparently treating it like a race but not understanding that they'd have been faster working with rather than against the other riders around them.

I was also disappointed on the long descent after Schiehallion to have to slow down several times because of numpties ahead of me slamming on the brakes when they really didn't need to. And on that final stretch, on the wide closed roads, I ended up spending a lot of time on the front of the group just to persuade them to take the best line through the sweeping bends rather than hugging the left.

Bizarre.

Don't think so. https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/perth-kinross/168891/etape-caledonia-hell-handbike-marcus-vows/ etc. etc.

Glad to know Marcus finished. I interviewed him the evening before the ride and he was playing down his chances of getting round. Lovely chap, and hugely inspirational. We posed for pics outside the hotel with his hand-cycle and loads of passers-by stopped to ask about it. He was so charming and willing to talk that they ended up going away promising to donate to his charity, so I'm not at all surprised he met his fund-raising target.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #11 on: 24 May, 2016, 11:07:44 am »

Which start group were you in? I was in the 'premium' group at the front (posing for pics with Chris Boardman) and took 4h30 overall, but I don't recall being passed by a recumbent - you might have come by when I was at a feed station.

I didn't have a problem with congestion - probably because I was mostly pootling round at my own pace, just enjoying the scenery and chatting to other riders, so I spent most of the ride being passed rather than passing other riders. Although I did latch on to a quick group as they came by at around 90km and so covered the last 40km in not much over an hour.

I think the second or third set after the premium group. Actually I wished I'd gone a couple of waves further back, so that by the time I got up to the big logjam at the front, I'd have had a few minutes in hand.

If you were on 4:40 pace I'm guessing I passed you pretty early. Maybe it's because I am a few inches lower than TT tuck, hence invisible?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #12 on: 24 May, 2016, 11:27:00 am »
If you were on 4:40 pace I'm guessing I passed you pretty early. Maybe it's because I am a few inches lower than TT tuck, hence invisible?

Ha! Possibly.

Or, perhaps more likely, you passed me when I made an unscheduled stop at the first feed station to get my bottle cage tightened up before it rattled itself off...  :facepalm:
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."