Author Topic: 1/8" chain joiners  (Read 6014 times)

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
1/8" chain joiners
« on: 16 December, 2016, 11:21:26 pm »
New to the single speed (well that I can remember having been of the Grifter / BMX generation the first time round!) I have just built up a single speed bike that has a KMC B1 1/8th chain fitted.  This came with a chain joiner which seems less secure than I am used to on 10/11 speed chains, its just a plate with 2 pins and you flex the chain to add the other plate to the joiner.

I'm a bit paranoid that this might come loss at the wrong time (clipped in stomping up a hill or similar)

Are these types of joiner reliable or is there a more often recommended chain joiner for 1/8 chains?
Regards,

Joergen

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
Re: 1/8" chain joiners
« Reply #1 on: 16 December, 2016, 11:41:25 pm »
I have a 1/8 single-speed with a KMC "joiner". It's been fine for years.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #2 on: 17 December, 2016, 07:16:32 am »
If you're worried about it you can get an old-style 1/8 joining link from Halfords (other proper bikes shops are available) - the type with the "spring hairclip" that slides onto the two rivets - make sure the rounded end of the clip is facing in the direction of travel of the chain, and to look really neat fit the clip on the frame-side of the chain.

Rob

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3 on: 17 December, 2016, 08:10:11 am »
Thanks chaps - I'll probably leave it be then for now  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #4 on: 17 December, 2016, 10:39:23 am »
As long as the chainline is good it won't come undone.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #5 on: 17 December, 2016, 09:19:12 pm »
If you're worried about it you can get an old-style 1/8 joining link from Halfords (other proper bikes shops are available) - the type with the "spring hairclip" that slides onto the two rivets - make sure the rounded end of the clip is facing in the direction of travel of the chain, and to look really neat fit the clip on the frame-side of the chain.
Interestingly, when those were the only joining links available, advice was not to use those on fixed. Instead, we would just use a chain tool.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6 on: 15 March, 2017, 03:50:27 pm »
That was ok until they started peening the ends of the pins, which makes for an unreliable chain if the pins are ever removed and refitted.  The holes get enlarged and the pin isn't as tight as it should be, hence the need for some link of magic link. 
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #7 on: 15 March, 2017, 05:04:48 pm »
I was a little surprised when I first came across a sprung link, rather than the traditional split-link with clip.  But, on reflection, I think they're probably stronger, or at least more reliable than the old style.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 15 March, 2017, 06:18:03 pm »
That was ok until they started peening the ends of the pins, which makes for an unreliable chain if the pins are ever removed and refitted.  The holes get enlarged and the pin isn't as tight as it should be, hence the need for some link of magic link.

I've never had a problem doing this, but with the hefty disclaimer that my bikes have gears and I'm not afraid to use them.  If you're using 1/8" chain, that's probably not the case.

« Reply #9 on: 15 March, 2017, 10:04:06 pm »
What I've never got my head round is whether 1/8" chains are peened these days, or is it just the narrower ones. So, should I stop using chain tools on all chains, or just on narrow ones?

« Reply #10 on: 16 March, 2017, 10:22:56 am »
Depends on the chain I believe - I somewhat foolishly bought a KMC 710-SL with hollow pins that are peened and broke my old chain tool  :(
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

rogerzilla

« Reply #11 on: 23 March, 2017, 09:44:45 pm »
The SRAM PC-1 is slightly peened, although I 've always got away with using a normal chain tool.  On a fixie with good chainline there isn't much that would cause the pins to want to wriggle out sideways, even if they aren't as tight as they were from the factory.  I prefer to get a 3-piece master link, though.

« Reply #12 on: 23 March, 2017, 10:43:16 pm »
I'm still interested that old-style links weren't good enough for fixed years ago, but are now. It may be that peening means that a chain tool is no longer a good option, but the joining links haven't actually got any stronger, have they?

rogerzilla

« Reply #13 on: 29 March, 2017, 06:33:00 pm »
They're just less likely to wiggle out (most chains break because a pin has moved, not because a plate snaps).  On a derailleur bike a broken chain is a minor problem because you can fix it with your trusty multi-tool.  On a fixie it's a bit of a disaster, because, even if you have a tool, there will never be enough chain to reach around (huhuhuh...he said "reacharound") both sprockets unless you find all the pieces.

I carry a couple of spare links on long rides.

« Reply #14 on: 29 March, 2017, 09:38:48 pm »
That's one reason for having a double-sided hub with a smaller sprocket than normal on the other side, of course.

Aan

« Reply #15 on: 28 May, 2017, 12:41:59 pm »
If I use the sprung link supplied with my SRAM chain, when it next comes to breaking and joining what's the Routine? Break with a chain tool then use another sptung link?
I usually use the old traditional three part link.

« Reply #16 on: 29 October, 2017, 10:02:56 pm »
I've always used a chain tool with 1/8" chain, and carried a few links in my saddle bag.