Author Topic: Tim Wainwright  (Read 8547 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Tim Wainwright
« on: 05 March, 2017, 05:11:18 pm »
Tim apparently died suddenly on March 1st whilst out cycling.
There was no involvement of any other road user.

RIP Tim.

You made a HUGE difference to Arrivée.

Condolences to Pauline.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Tim Wainwright
« Reply #1 on: 05 March, 2017, 05:20:23 pm »
Bugger, he was a good bloke.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Sabine

• In France
Tim Wainright
« Reply #2 on: 05 March, 2017, 05:24:19 pm »
I have just read that Tim Wainright has passed away.
Very sad news indeed. Our thoughts are with Pauline his wife.

« Reply #3 on: 05 March, 2017, 05:32:54 pm »
This is so sad, met tim way back in 1991 , remember riding some of the doncaster 600 with him that year and later riding his "to battle and back 200km many times.
He was a wessex S.R. and rode many wessex rides plus help on many events too .

May the wind always be on your back my friend.

« Reply #4 on: 05 March, 2017, 05:34:56 pm »
That has brought me to tears.
Many happy miles together and as many happy memories.
RIP

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #5 on: 05 March, 2017, 05:48:54 pm »
 :'(

That's very sad news.  Setting aside his massive contribution to AUK, Tim was a lovely guy and gave me a lot of encouragement when I first started Audaxing. And he took some great photos too.

He'll be greatly missed.  RIP
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Martin

« Reply #6 on: 05 March, 2017, 06:45:58 pm »
Very sad news; Tim introduced me to Audax 16 years ago (as an alternative to TTs) with his genuine welcome and happy smile; and I never looked back!

he was also always willing to turn up on the top of a hill with his camera too; rain or shine

Thoughts for his family

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #7 on: 05 March, 2017, 06:48:01 pm »
Always a cheery wave from Tim. A lovely chap.

H

rob

« Reply #8 on: 05 March, 2017, 06:54:21 pm »
Terrible news.   One of the first people I rode with when I moved to the South East 20 years ago.

Condolences to Pauline.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #9 on: 05 March, 2017, 07:28:56 pm »
I think my interactions were limited to email conversations over Arrive articles, but this was enough to show him as a thoroughly good bloke.  RIP Tim, it's sad to see you go.

« Reply #10 on: 05 March, 2017, 07:43:04 pm »
Dear Tim, a lovely man and a great cyclist. Not seen him for many a year but that doesn't make any difference, I shall still miss him. Happy times in Cycling Heaven, Tim!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #11 on: 05 March, 2017, 07:55:05 pm »
Tim was an oooooooooold cycling friend of Dad, I probably first knew him in my teens (i.e. a long time ago now!). He was like a distant uncle figure.

Lovely chap. He had a good innings; I like the idea that it ended while he was doing what he loved.  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #12 on: 05 March, 2017, 09:06:03 pm »
Sad news indeed. I didn't know Tim well but had lots of communication with him about Arrivée over the last couple of years and he struck me as a thoroughly decent chap.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #13 on: 05 March, 2017, 09:24:49 pm »
Very sad news to read.
I remember Tim and Pauline who were regular rider's on the Wessex SR series in the early 2000's.
And Tim's 'To Battle and back 200' was one of the best local events for me (with amazing food at the finish from Pauline).
Such a friendly guy, always was happy.
Deepest condolences to Pauline and family.

« Reply #14 on: 05 March, 2017, 09:26:16 pm »
That's a big shock and very sad.  RIP Tim.

Phil W

« Reply #15 on: 05 March, 2017, 09:56:44 pm »
It was Tim who encouraged me to actively write more when I submitted my first tentative Arrivee article back in Spring 2013. Without his encouragement I probably wouldn't have submitted any more. Nice guy full of useful advice.

« Reply #16 on: 05 March, 2017, 10:02:54 pm »
Very sad to hear this.  Tim was a super-enthusiast, and worked very hard to ensure he and Pauline completed their Wessex Series.  He was an excellent editor of Arrivee, and took many fine photographs.  Will miss his cheery smile & words of encouragement.  Deepest sympathy to Pauline and the family.

« Reply #17 on: 05 March, 2017, 10:49:11 pm »
Another one gone :(
So many of the riders I remember fondly from my early days of audaxing aren't around anymore.
And now Tim, worked a lot with him for Arrivee articles and especially during LEL 2013 when Charlotte, Tim and me did the photography.
Tim in his usual pose:

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: 06 March, 2017, 07:34:10 am »
That's very sad news. RIP Tim.

hillbilly

« Reply #19 on: 06 March, 2017, 09:13:12 am »
Tim always had a smile and a word of encouragement on rides, whether crouched at the side of the road taking a picture or riding his bike on audax events or at his events (or on mine) or when his path crossed with mine by chance whilst each of us were out for a potter around the South East.  A great guy, his presence will be missed.

« Reply #20 on: 06 March, 2017, 09:19:42 am »
I didn't actually meet Tim many times, but I contributed to Arrivee a fair amount, so got to know him through that.

One memory of him is of PBP 2011, when a car drew alongside me and an excited Tim told me how much fun he was having photographing the roadside stalls. He'd left it until then to follow that ride. He was being driven around by a friend, and stayed in the same hotel as my cameraman mate Dave, in Senonches.

Dave picked up a Don Quixote and Sancho Panza vibe from the pairing, and was reading 'Don Quixote' on his phone as we performed a similar quest in 2015.

« Reply #21 on: 06 March, 2017, 09:37:16 am »
This was very sad news.

I actually saw Tim a few weeks back at the memorial service for Mike Ellison and he was in fine form.

When I started cycling serious distances around 2003 it was Tim who egged me on.  He seemed to be at every event which I rode and was always there with a bit of encouragement.  He taught me how to do bit and bit on a windy 200 and was the reason I joined the Willesden.

On PBP 2007 I bumped into him at the penultimate control.  He had packed but had continued as a helper with the Willesden.  I was fried and at the end on my tether with dreadful tendentious and backache.  He applied some cream to my back and got me to sleep for an hour before waving me off on the road.  I saw him in the run in to the stadium where he leapt out and took my photo - it is one of my most treasured possessions.

Although I think he rode less in recent years he was often to be seen on the roadside with his camera and I have some great shots he took on PBP 2011.  You could always tell when an Arrivee edited by Tim turned up -although the mag is a great read most times his skill with layout and his photos always lifted it a little.

Sad news indeed.

Liam

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #22 on: 06 March, 2017, 11:32:23 am »
Sad news, indeed. RIP Tim, and thanks for your enormous contribution to Audax cycling.
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #23 on: 06 March, 2017, 11:50:57 am »
Rest in peace Tim.

Thank you for the wonderful encouragement to cycle further that came through in the articles you edited for Arrivee.

I'm saddened to hear of your death and hope that perhaps in some beautiful part of heaven you are riding your bike for fun.

« Reply #24 on: 06 March, 2017, 01:28:06 pm »
I have fond memories of Tim on events—hadn't seen much of him since he retired from long rides.  Pauline must be devastated.  It's very sad news.