Author Topic: The Highlands, West Coast & Glens July 2016,  (Read 66663 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: The Highlands, West Coast & Glens July 2016,
« Reply #25 on: 29 February, 2016, 01:11:57 am »
They take a few minutes to round up a posse, are attracted to CO2, (and heat, I think) so restrict your breathing and wee quickly!
It is simpler than it looks.

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #26 on: 29 February, 2016, 12:00:13 pm »
.....2014, we were largely untroubled by the little feckers .....they were an issue were thecash machine in gairloch where we controlled (riding around in circles whilst others got their proof of passage was the only option really)

Ah yes, I rode up and down looking for the ATM before realising the town we larger than I though. I do remember been eaten alive at that ATM

But, as ever, they are only a major issue when you stop, particularly if you are bivying etc. 

Damb!!

I carried a midge net but did not use it much. Same for repellent (Avon skin so soft) - I think I carried some, I cannot remember).

Nasty little feckers for sure.

Same here, use the net only once on a long day out.
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

« Reply #27 on: 29 February, 2016, 04:41:43 pm »
I've wondered - even with an insect net bivvy, how does one even get into said bag without clouds of midges getting in too?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #28 on: 29 February, 2016, 04:46:42 pm »
I've wondered - even with an insect net bivvy, how does one even get into said bag without clouds of midges getting in too?

Going by previous answers, you get in it as you cycle along and then when fully enclosed, you launch yourself into a nearby verge for the night!

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #29 on: 29 February, 2016, 07:00:22 pm »
They take a few minutes to round up a posse, are attracted to CO2, (and heat, I think) so restrict your breathing and wee quickly!

if they find you they don't faff about - bite as soon as they land on you! my "anti midge" net was too coarse, so was of no use..

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #30 on: 29 February, 2016, 07:33:46 pm »
Cream worked fine for me in 2014 (except for the bugger that crawled under my glove!). ("Jungle something" ? From somewhere sensible like Boots).

I am a total woose about insect bites - they make me massively, teenage strop grumpy. Glad to have avoided this on Scottish rides so far :)

The conventional wisdom for camping/bivvying is to stop above about 1000' ASL (which also give you good views and solitude), which is apparently above the tree midge-line. HTH !
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #31 on: 01 March, 2016, 06:46:23 am »
Jungle Juice; but can damage synthetic materials `Smidge` is quite good, seemed work to some extent when I was in Ardnamurchan with a lot midgies and it`s kinder to skin / clothing than JJ

The 1000ft asl is a total myth---Rannoch Moor is plagued by blighters and is above 1000ft . I`ve even been bitten when at 3800ft asl in Glen Affric on Munros there. Best option is a breeze to keep them down, somewhere away from damp, and cultivated farmland.
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #32 on: 01 March, 2016, 09:11:06 am »
Thanks for all the tips guys  :thumbsup: this is a bit of a journey into the unknown for me
Eddington Number 75

« Reply #33 on: 01 March, 2016, 09:21:32 am »
Thanks for all the tips guys  :thumbsup: this is a bit of a journey into the unknown for me

+1 !!! and it`s kinda putting together many days I`ve done cycling touring  NW Scotland into one big ride ---into unknown territories of sleep deprivation, long days feed regimes etc
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #34 on: 01 March, 2016, 09:33:14 am »
The real danger on this ride is bees.  Especially for lid wearers.

Fecker got stuck in the vents of mine and poking it with my finger merely prompted it to sting me on the head.  It really hurts getting stung on your skull - surprised me really.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Dave_C

« Reply #35 on: 01 March, 2016, 03:52:43 pm »

Fecker got stuck in the vents of mine and poking it with my finger merely prompted it to sting me on the head.  It really hurts getting stung on your skull - surprised me really.
Wear a hat underneath? or get a lid with a mesh on the front. my Metz does.

I was thinking of riding over 4 days during the day time, but the first day sees us set off late in the day (8am), off the Oban ferry. Plus with lots of ferries I'll struggle to get the ~300km in on day one so I'm adopting the approach on PBP. Ride to ~half way (Trantlebeg) at 540km in one go. Shower and sleep and then set off at 8pm Tuesday for breakfast in Ullapool before continuing on until Armadale and waiting until the Thursday morning ferry, in a bivi/B&B.

As per last year, I think once we leave the ferry at Kilchoan It'll be a mad rush to make the early ferry from Mallaig. Then I can relax a little until getting to Trantlebeg.

« Reply #36 on: 01 March, 2016, 04:19:09 pm »

Wear a hat underneath? or get a lid with a mesh on the front. my Metz does.

I had a helmet & a hat on during PBP and still got stung on the head ! As MJB said - it's surprisingly painful.

« Reply #37 on: 01 March, 2016, 05:05:09 pm »
I wore this midge hat, purchased from notonlybowls through Amazon. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0050JMULS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

The mesh was fine enough to keep the midges out. I didn't wear it over my face whilst cycling, but pulled it up so that the mesh was under my helmet, stopping midges and other insects getting at my head through the vents. The rest of the net was left loose behind my helmet giving some protection to the back of my neck.

When I stopped in a midge infested area, I Just loosened the helmet and pull the net down over my face. The net is light and packs away into a small pouch when not in use.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #38 on: 01 March, 2016, 06:18:39 pm »
Jungle Juice; but can damage synthetic materials `Smidge` is quite good, seemed work to some extent when I was in Ardnamurchan with a lot midgies and it`s kinder to skin / clothing than JJ

The 1000ft asl is a total myth---Rannoch Moor is plagued by blighters and is above 1000ft . I`ve even been bitten when at 3800ft asl in Glen Affric on Munros there. Best option is a breeze to keep them down, somewhere away from damp, and cultivated farmland.

Also way from deer haunts. Weve been surprised by billions of midges, to find a load of deer very close by.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #39 on: 01 March, 2016, 07:31:25 pm »
and on subject of deer the dreaded CLEG has not yet been mentioned (and that`s not referring to the Nick variety  :sick: either )

Dave_C

« Reply #40 on: 19 April, 2016, 05:39:43 pm »
Plans firming up.

History: Highlander 2014, I booked accommodation for every night, as we had 108 hours due to the extra 100km. But I missed the Trantlebeg hostel and arrived at ~5-6am, ~6 hours behind. That put us back 6 hours and we missed the Hostel in Balahulish/Glen Coe. Thus we lost the hostel and its cost. On PBP we had the opportunity to stay on the floor along with a load of others, at any time we arrived.

The ride 2016.
When I planned this summer I thought about how long we rode the first day to get to the Monday night sleep stop in Carhiax, and applied the same logic. I know we'll be chin strapped the first night especially after the silly delays on the first day due to 2 ferries! we'd hope to be at Broadford at 5pm on Tuesday, ONLY if we hoof it from Kilchoan to Mallaig for the early 15:15 ferry! That's only 170km in and we need around 300km per day! This puts you at Dingwall ~9 hours later which is well past closing time for any hostels! Dingwall (town) has a hostel but its an independent hostel so will not be like SYHA and not open 24/7.

So faced with arriving around 2am in Dingwall, I thought about just continuing on from Dingwall. Dingwall has the usual curry/kebab/chippies so we'll fuel up when we can (carrying food is efficient so long as you eat everything before you arrive at the next food stop). So we plan to carry on through the night from Dingwall. Dingwall to Durness is 150km. This puts us at the convenience shop when it is open again (9 hours ahead ~11am) and possibly the hotel/pub will be open for hot. Refuel at Durness and we have 100km to Trantlebeg. That's (170km [Broadford]+150km [Dingwall]+150km [Durness]+100km [Trantlebeg]=570km - ~100km ahead of Carhiax!!) We'll be knackered but with the sun up, hopefully coffee/caffine tablets (slapping each other to stay awake!!) will allow us to get to Trantlebeg where we won't care which bed we collapse into.

Betty hill (65km from Durness) offers food at the hotel, and I plan to call ahead to see what time the chief is on shift! Carrying food from Durness to Trantlebeg and beyond is our plan. ~5 hours sleep should stop the dozys and we can leave Trantlebeg into the night. This has pros and cons. Con is slower during the night, but has the pro, less traffic on the

**** A9 !!! ****

That's right, last year we rode the Nat400 from Dingwall and rode the A9 through the night to Lairg. We have food opportunities at Helmsdale and Brora and hope to leave in time to get to Helmsdale before the shops/chippies close. The A9 is a good surface and fast and has towns along the road to Lairg, all be it, at night.

Note Helmsdale is down hill from Kildonan Lodge where as if you cut the corner off its a climb on a pothole gravelly tarmac surface!

Lairg is ~96km from Trantlebeg and puts us there around ~4am. Continue on across to Lochinver and we could be there at 9am Wednesday ready for food shops to open.

The route to Broadford is ~260km. That's 15 hours ahead, arriving around midnight. Kyle of Lochalsh has a hostel/hotels. Co op is open until late so we can stock up on food/breakfast. Then get up early and head down to Armadale ready for the 07:15 first ferry to Mallaig. Mallaig to Oban is a shorter day at 220km. we have until 2am Friday morning, loads of time right? Might be able to relax our Armadale ferry time? ;O)

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to remind myself about it.

Dave C

« Reply #41 on: 19 April, 2016, 05:48:23 pm »
Great post Dave_C these are the sort of plans that are going to keep us all altering our own right up to the start! Mine are already in tatter reading that :thumbsup:

« Reply #42 on: 19 April, 2016, 07:00:41 pm »
Check CalMac ferry times though from what I see the ferry to Craignure is now earlier (BS original plan was based on winter timetables, summer has altered from these)  https://www.calmac.co.uk/oban-craignure-mull-ferry-summer-timetable arrive  meaning getting to Kilchoan https://www.calmac.co.uk/tobermory-kilchoan-ardnamurchan-mull-ferry-summer-timetable  should be OK for 10 am , and then on to Dingwall for 10-11 pm ?? Or will depart from Oban be just for catching the 08:15 ferry ?

« Reply #43 on: 19 April, 2016, 09:14:25 pm »
Check CalMac ferry times though from what I see the ferry to Craignure is now earlier (BS original plan was based on winter timetables, summer has altered from these)  https://www.calmac.co.uk/oban-craignure-mull-ferry-summer-timetable arrive  meaning getting to Kilchoan https://www.calmac.co.uk/tobermory-kilchoan-ardnamurchan-mull-ferry-summer-timetable  should be OK for 10 am , and then on to Dingwall for 10-11 pm ?? Or will depart from Oban be just for catching the 08:15 ferry ?

You must be on the Monday ride as the Tuesday ferry times are different. Also there is a June to August time table for Sky. Aim for the 15:30 ferry which should get us to Broadford for 5pm. Accommodation is looking very hard at the moment around Dinglewall and might see us pushing on.   

« Reply #44 on: 20 April, 2016, 06:46:13 am »
Yes Monday, and yes accommodation is booking up it appears. Bivi bag and midges anyone ?

« Reply #45 on: 22 April, 2016, 02:18:13 pm »
How do you book the trantlebag hostel ? anyone have any details  :thumbsup:
Eddington Number 75

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #46 on: 22 April, 2016, 04:16:15 pm »
How do you book the trantlebag hostel ? anyone have any details  :thumbsup:

Mr BS booked the hostel for our exclusive use in 2014.

( "TrantlebAg" sounds much less picturesque than the correct spelling! )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #47 on: 22 April, 2016, 07:45:42 pm »

( "TrantlebAg" sounds much less picturesque than the correct spelling! )
Ooppps  :-[ :P :thumbsup:
Eddington Number 75

« Reply #48 on: 27 April, 2016, 04:16:16 pm »
I've put the route broken up into 4 days on a RidewithGPS Event link herehttps://ridewithgps.com/events/Highlands-and-glens
If its any use to anyone!

« Reply #49 on: 27 April, 2016, 09:47:13 pm »
Has an info email gone out for the event? If so can someone forward it to me? I sent a message to the blacksheep email but no response.

my username @gmail.com

thanks!