Author Topic: Riding The Kennet Valley Run - Saturday 5th March 2016  (Read 12826 times)

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
Re: Riding The Kennet Valley Run - Saturday 5th March 2016
« Reply #50 on: 04 March, 2016, 09:45:02 pm »
If there is ICE I will be taking couple of detours until the risk is over. A4 Newbury to Hungerford and A338 to Burbage.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #51 on: 05 March, 2016, 06:18:02 pm »
Well, how did everyone get on?  I delayed my start until 8 to avoid any ice that hung around but there was only the odd patch I saw at the side of the road.  Maybe the plan worked?  Have to say that this is a cracking route, really lovely...although I am not sure the odd hail storm and heavy showers helped too much but at least they kept me cool.  I was on a blue Mercian in case anyone saw me go by, well I say blue but it is a bit hard to tell at the moment.  I think a damn good wash is in order.

I particularly enjoyed scoffing beans on toast at the end, what an unexpected treat.  It is fair to say there was something for everyone at the end and it was nice to be able to show my appreciation by helping out Macmillan. 

Many thanks to all the organisers/helpers  :thumbsup:

Vollerama

• Its just like you're flying.
« Reply #52 on: 05 March, 2016, 08:00:07 pm »
I got around the 100km route in a stately 5 and a half hours. Agree with what's been said so far, it's a beautiful route and I'll certainly ride this again. The food at the end was a treat: the vegetable ministrone soup was delicious. First class organisation and thanks to all who arranged and volunteered.

I appear to have mislaid my treasured Audax UK-branded Buff. It's the monochrome patterned one. I don't suppose it was handed in? It was most likely humanely destroyed as it was in need of a good wash  :P

EDIT: The Buff has been found and will be returned to me by Mick. Thanks to all those who responded to me.

All the best,
Paul
--
Smokey, this is not 'Nam this is bowling.  There are rules.

« Reply #53 on: 05 March, 2016, 08:34:55 pm »
I'm on the train home, after successfully completing the 200. Great route,  nice controls, and very welcome catering at the end!

Encountered a bit of rain, a bit of sleet, and a brief hail shower, but the weather was better than I expected, based on the forecast. And at 11 hours elapsed it was a new personal best for a 200, and a big improvement on my squeek-in-with-minutes-to-spare performance on the Chiltern Grit a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks very much to everyone involved in organising and helping at the event!

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
« Reply #54 on: 05 March, 2016, 09:31:32 pm »
I appear to have mislaid my treasured Audax UK-branded Buff

Don't want to raise false hope but saw a buff on the control table at the Arrivee. Dark colour. Org may have it.

No ice noticed on the 200 course although the the lane coming in from the A33 had smashed ice around puddles. Roads pretty good barring some short cruddy sections on stage 4 which I don't mind. Weather much better than forecast and enjoyed 4 seasons in 10 mins, bit of sleet, bit of hail, light shower and glorious sunshine.

Thanks for the company Nigel (and others)

Thanks for the event Mick and team, plus the minestrone I believe prepared by your own lily-white hands.

« Reply #55 on: 05 March, 2016, 10:06:28 pm »
I started feeling under the weather last night, & woke up with a headache & a fever, so chickened out - as did Mrs B. She was regretting it for a while, until she tried to go for a run & found she was in no state for it, let alone the ride.

We got messages from the Fox at Hermitage to tell us the beer was good & nobody on the 100 had been rained on yet.  We were missing a good ride. :(
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #56 on: 05 March, 2016, 11:15:26 pm »
Didn't ride this but did a DIY from Bristol that took in Hungerford where I chatted to someone heading back on the 100. I then peeled off and headed over Combe Gibett and then back up to join the Bedwyn-Burbage-Pewsey-Woodborough roads. I saw loads of happy looking riders on your return leg  :thumbsup: all giving me a wave and saying hello, which of course was reciprocated. I think there also a few concerned faces worried that I might still be on the outward leg :)

Looked like a good day out :thumbsup:

« Reply #57 on: 05 March, 2016, 11:18:01 pm »
Don't want to raise false hope but saw a buff on the control table at the Arrivee. Dark colour. Org may have it.
One was found and handed in, I think by Manotea. Organiser should have it, yes.

If not, Manotea was selling new ones ;D

« Reply #58 on: 06 March, 2016, 06:47:18 am »
KVR is definitely a ride that's harder than it looks. Last year I thought it was the high winds that made it harder, but no high winds yesterday (although the weather threw a mix of light snow, hail, light rain and finally as I was riding back from Graveley to Winnersh station heavy rain. Oh, and there was plenty of sunshine and blue sky too). It's the rolling nature of the stretch from Chirton to Bratton and back to Chirton that softens you up, then the section from Hungerford to Bradfield that finishes you off.

Overall, a great ride (and with only three manned controls and three infos, none of the constant stop/start that gets so wearing on some other 200s). It almost wholly avoids both busy roads and overly-laney roads, and takes in some really great scenery. I particularly enjoyed the long views to the Pewsey White Horse yesterday, picked out in brilliant sunshine.

Finally, a big thank you to everyone involved in organising, especially for the great food at the start and finish.  I shall be back for KVR no. 3 in 2017.
Eddington Number = 132

« Reply #59 on: 06 March, 2016, 08:50:05 am »
After the 100km, it was quite nice to get home to the Hertfordshire Chilterns and be greeted by the wife with "it must have been a tough ride, we've had 3 lots of snow today...".  My ride was almost completely clear, some mucky roads, but nothing that mudguards couldn't cope with.  I didn't need to wear that rainproof jacket all the way round, but I did.

Many thanks to all the organisers and helpers, a good ride.

« Reply #60 on: 06 March, 2016, 08:52:12 am »
I went for a short walk on the Saturday evening at about 10pm and wow was it cold.  The puddles on the side of the road were already beginning to freeze, so I made the decision not to start. 

By 10pm Sunday, the ice was turning back to water and it didnt feel to cold either.  Weather forecast appeared to have got it wrong again and I wished that I had at least ridden over to the start.

Never mind, there's always next year.

« Reply #61 on: 06 March, 2016, 01:57:42 pm »
I did the 100 this year for the first time and wondered why I'd endured the 200 so many times in the past!  It does all the good bits without the slog along the canal!

Apart for the first 10 minutes I really didn't feel cold at all all day.  Plus good company at various points and even had a sighting of the lesser spotted Manotea and Richard Phipps.  I was in a nice group for a while before Hungerford but as always we splintered just before the control!

Mick has a couple of tweaks in the route for the unsuspecting - at Bradfield the route sheet turns left, but if you are on autopilot from past 200's you go straight up THAT hill.  I was committed before I realised my mistake and slogged up to the top.

As always a brilliant arrivee... nice to know what it looks like in daylight for once!

Thanks to Mick, Phil and gang for a topping day out.

« Reply #62 on: 06 March, 2016, 04:25:55 pm »
After the 100km, it was quite nice to get home to the Hertfordshire Chilterns and be greeted by the wife with "it must have been a tough ride, we've had 3 lots of snow today...".  My ride was almost completely clear, some mucky roads, but nothing that mudguards couldn't cope with.  I didn't need to wear that rainproof jacket all the way round, but I did.

Many thanks to all the organisers and helpers, a good ride.
+1. Only one really skoggy road, as they'd have said on the Norfolk Nips a few years back. On the way out, it varied between cloud and a bit of sun breaking through. At Yattendon on the way back, like many others I stopped for a drink and a bar. Didn't think I'd make it back in the hour for a sub-6-hour total, but it was downhill, with a strong wind behind and sun, if cold. I linked up with another rider and we made it with some minutes to spare. And then it threw it down as I drove back to Hertfordshire.

« Reply #63 on: 07 March, 2016, 09:20:40 am »
I did the 100 this year for the first time and wondered why I'd endured the 200 so many times in the past!  It does all the good bits without the slog along the canal!

Mick has a couple of tweaks in the route for the unsuspecting - at Bradfield the route sheet turns left, but if you are on autopilot from past 200's you go straight up THAT hill.  I was committed before I realised my mistake and slogged up to the top.

As always a brilliant arrivee... nice to know what it looks like in daylight for once!

For some reason lost in the mists of time the 100 has always had that different route out of Bradfield.  It might be to provide a few extra metres on the road (the 100 is very close to min distance).  Personally I prefer the way you went - after the hill (not insignificant, I agree!) it is a nicer road imho.

« Reply #64 on: 07 March, 2016, 08:42:01 pm »
Rode this ride on Saturday and have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience, my first ever 200km Audax.

The weather was relatively kind but we did have all 4 seasons in 1 day as they say, a very well organised event and the beans on toast at the end was a nice touch.

TVM to all the organising team. See you next year

Neil
I have started a blog about my RRtY attempt.

http://adventuresinaudaxing.blogspot.co.uk/

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
« Reply #65 on: 10 March, 2016, 08:02:17 pm »
This was my sixth consecutive KVR200, and a nice opener to the season it was.  The weather was, err, changeable, and my hands and feet were cold for the entire ride, but not to the point of debilitation.  Fortunately the wind was a not very strong northerly, so you didn't get the against you all the way out or back of a westerly or easterly.  The ride to Grazeley from home in Pangbourne had shown that the chance of ice was very low.

Met up with Andy Watt at the depart, arrivee, and Pickleberry.  I really love how in audax you meet old acquaintances and catch up with what they been doing.  We'd met each other a lot last year, having coincidentally chosen the same set of PBP qualifiers.  On Saturday he was back on his fixed, and taking a couple of South Oxon clubmates with him, so hopefully we'll see more of them in future.

The organisation was excellent as ever, and the Pickleberry's service and reduced menu both good.  I no longer stop at the Tutti Pole on this ride these days because I don't need the rest.  Indeed, during the ride I was ruminating on how far I'd come since riding this as my first audax in 2011.  Back then I rested at all the controls and didn't cycle into work on the following Monday because I was so tired and my legs sore.  It still makes an excellent first 200 and a good opener to the calendar year for those of us who don't ride during Winter.

Thanks to Mick and his helpers for the tlc.
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.

« Reply #66 on: 11 March, 2016, 04:08:25 pm »
I am back home now after my vacation in the UK. I really enjoyed riding the Kennet Valley Run. The forecast was a bit iffy and cycling to the start was cold. However as soon as we got going I forgot about that. Nice people and a good route, I particularly enjoyed the half-way stop, the Pickleberry cafe, - probably due to copious amounts of hot chocolate.

A big thank you to Martin for lending me his bike. We met up in London afterwards and had a few beers and a chat. Very nice.

I might manage another ride in the UK this year, but if not I hope to see some of you next year for LEL.

« Reply #67 on: 13 March, 2016, 07:23:23 pm »
Many thanks to Mick and team for organising this great ride.

MyBlog
MyPhotos

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
Re: Riding The Kennet Valley Run - Saturday 11th March 2017
« Reply #68 on: 08 March, 2017, 07:16:55 pm »
Its a KVR100 for me, but I'll be making it a 200km day by riding out from London W4.

Company welcome for a 6:30 depart. :)

« Reply #69 on: 08 March, 2017, 07:31:18 pm »
100 for me too, but no ECE.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Riding The Kennet Valley Run - Saturday 11th March 2017
« Reply #70 on: 08 March, 2017, 07:36:23 pm »
Booked on the 200.

Will probably ride to the start, and bail after Hungerford, but if I'm feeling sprightly, who knows??

(Weather forecast WAS for 14m/s "near gale" westerly, mercifully now calmed down ... but it's still 3 days to go ...)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #71 on: 08 March, 2017, 09:35:45 pm »
I'm in.  First 200k since November.  Riding with Bianchi Boy and others as warm up for an Arrow.  Depending on which pair of legs I wake up with will either be on Diesel towing duties or puffing billy at the rear.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #72 on: 09 March, 2017, 03:59:21 pm »
I'm in.  First 200k since November.  Riding with Bianchi Boy and others as warm up for an Arrow.  Depending on which pair of legs I wake up with will either be on Diesel towing duties or puffing billy at the rear.
I'm in as part of Equipe BB/CET.  Dare I say the weather is looking increasingly 'OK'... :o

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
« Reply #73 on: 09 March, 2017, 05:46:16 pm »
.... puffing billy at the rear.

Starting diesel. Finishing as above I expect.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #74 on: 10 March, 2017, 08:34:37 am »
.... puffing billy at the rear.

Starting diesel. Finishing as above I expect.
It's all about pacing. I cannot ride as fast any more, so if it starts off quick I will hide at the start and try to contribute later.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.