Author Topic: Riding The Kennet Valley Run - Saturday 5th March 2016  (Read 12828 times)

Re: Riding The Kennet Valley Run - Saturday 5th March 2016
« Reply #75 on: 10 March, 2017, 01:46:24 pm »
Looking forward to it -will be riding as part of an SWRC Group.
see you in the morning.

« Reply #76 on: 10 March, 2017, 04:01:57 pm »
Looking forward to it -will be riding as part of an SWRC Group.
see you in the morning.

I'm going to ECE it so I'll be at the back of said group.

Last rode this six years ago. Hilly - flat - hilly if I recall correctly.

Jeff E

• Formerly JRe
« Reply #77 on: 10 March, 2017, 09:19:45 pm »
ECE Likewise and even further at the back if I can hang on at all ......

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #78 on: 11 March, 2017, 06:09:48 pm »
Rode round this with Bianchi Boy, Simon A, HughKnud and D O G as part of our Easter Arrow prep.  We formed a nice organised group from the start and so attracted quite a large bunch all the way to the Tutti Pole.  We stopped only to get our cards signed and then made our way out to Bratton and the Pickleberry.  There was quite a brisk cross/headwind which promised a fast run back.  We arrived at the halfway control a seemly three minutes after it officially opened.  There was quite a crowd still with us, so the food came out at slightly different times, but it was warm enough to sit outside and chat whilst the last of us finished our food.  The promised tailwind turned out to be a crosswind but with some strong legs on the front (mostly Chris and Simon A) we hooned it back to the Tutti Pole whilst it was still full on lunch service.  The Co-op and the village Bakery provided a swifter alternative and we picked up speed through the lanes with a slight pause to fix a puncture in my overdue for replacement Schwalbe Durano rear tyre (4500 miles mostly in winter conditions and only its second puncture - the blue "replace me" layer is now showing all the way round so its due for replacement.  And we were back early than I think I ever have been - a really nice day out and a good opportunity to gel as a team.  There's a good reason this event is so popular, a good early-season test of fitness.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #79 on: 11 March, 2017, 08:58:28 pm »
Very nice early spring weather and good organisation made it a good ride. Unfortunately if this is an indication of early season fitness I have a lot of work to do! 27kph out to the 100km market and then collapsed to finish at 24kmph average. Good service both in Bratton at Hungerford

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #80 on: 11 March, 2017, 09:38:45 pm »
i have enjoyed the day because of spring weather (first long ride in shorts this year!), scenic route and fine company of Blueskies and Magnus. going out it seemed there's a slight cross/headwind, so was hoping for a bit of a push on the return leg, however there was a cross/headwind again - only much stronger - bizarre! my first audax on tubeless tyres - very pleased with their comfort and speed.
a big thank you to the organiser and his team of helpers for all the tender loving care they gave us today.

« Reply #81 on: 11 March, 2017, 11:50:50 pm »
Really good day out, and possibly the first truly mild day of the year. Made it to Hungerford in a couple of hours on the 100, so before the Tutti Pole got really busy. After an early lunch, headed back.

We were out a bit later than planned last night, so I threw the first available bike in the car, and ended up riding fixed when I had thought to take gears. I'm no climber, and the Boxford Alps nearly did for me - I thought my heart would bust out of my chest on the second crest. Still with those done, was able to bash back, and ended up more than half an hour faster than the time that (judging from my post above) seems to have pleased me last year :thumbsup:

« Reply #82 on: 12 March, 2017, 01:45:35 pm »
Was that you I was talking to while we rode through Mortimer, Drossall?  I was on the red and white Mercian and commented that fixed may be harder but was cooler.

« Reply #83 on: 12 March, 2017, 04:10:00 pm »
That's right. You were worried about the slight rattle, until you realised that it came from my map-holder and not your bike. I said it would go away at the first hill, and sure enough I was right, just outside Mortimer. Don't think I saw you again after that.

I should have taken my Mercian. It's got more than enough gears for Boxford.

« Reply #84 on: 12 March, 2017, 08:49:06 pm »
Most enjoyable. Well organised and all helpers very friendly. Thanks to all.
As always good to see the old faces . Smeth is bound to be at any event I ride. ( a plus by the way...)
Could even get home in time to watch the recorded rugby without knowing the score.

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
« Reply #85 on: 12 March, 2017, 09:16:08 pm »
Most enjoyable. Well organised and all helpers very friendly. Thanks to all.
As always good to see the old faces . Smeth is bound to be at any event I ride. ( a plus by the way...)
Nice to see so many SWRCs out. Rumps I am clearly just one of your groupies. Just live with it or get an injunction. Great bash out to the turn courtesy of the above, CET, SimonP et al. Did my token 5 minutes on the front and thankfully they got bored and swamped me.
Thanks Mick and team.

« Reply #86 on: 12 March, 2017, 09:53:08 pm »
A good early season tester. I didn't completely fail, but I certainly wasn't top of the class. A bit of work to be done!
Very happy to see that we secured the best day of the weekend weather wise.
As always good company, good route and good ...errr cake (well if you put a huge slice of it under my nose at the counter I'm going to eat it).
Thank you to the organisers. That was a big field to cater for.

Photos

« Reply #87 on: 12 March, 2017, 10:09:31 pm »
I saw the trike coming into Hungerford from the east as I set out again on the 100. Wasn't it on the 100? But your photos are from the 200?

Made me wonder whether I should have ridden mine. It could do with an outing.

« Reply #88 on: 12 March, 2017, 10:48:18 pm »
A good early season tester. I didn't completely fail, but I certainly wasn't top of the class. A bit of work to be done!
Very happy to see that we secured the best day of the weekend weather wise.
As always good company, good route and good ...errr cake (well if you put a huge slice of it under my nose at the counter I'm going to eat it).
Thank you to the organisers. That was a big field to cater for.

Photos
Good to ride to Bratton with most of the SWRC bunch ;D :thumbsup:
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.