Author Topic: Grow pouches - grow crops on your walls :)  (Read 4086 times)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Grow pouches - grow crops on your walls :)
« on: 06 July, 2008, 08:34:39 pm »
The permaculture idea of using every darn inch of your property to grow stuff appeals to me.  Plus I like green stuff on my walls, so these hanging planters look a good idea.

Picked these up at a garden centre: sturdy re-usable ripstop pouches with a bunch of holes in.  Kinda like a hanging grow-bag or low-profile hanging basket - ideal for my tiny garden as I don't have space for either, but I do have some scraps of wall that aren't earning their keep.  Work, you lollygagging slabs of vertical masonry, work!  *whipcrack*

They're stuffed with compost and some water-retaining gel.  I've got late-season strawberries in one, and a hanging-basket variety of cherry tomato in the other.  If these work out, I'll get a bunch more and make a hanging salad wall.

It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Grow pouches - grow crops on your walls :)
« Reply #1 on: 07 July, 2008, 10:10:14 am »
Visited Paradise Park in North London on a ride saturday.  There's a childrens' centre there, and it has a living wall/roof.  OK, so it was a bit scrappy in places, but it looked marvellous (and must have weighted tons)
Getting there...

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #2 on: 07 July, 2008, 10:49:42 am »
Gotta love that biotexturing :D
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Si

« Reply #3 on: 07 July, 2008, 11:04:00 am »
There was an article in GYO a month or two back on making wall boxes, just small hanging baskets that are screwed to the wall and filled with compost, and all the thing that you can do in them.  Think that I might have a go and see if I can knock up a herb wall.

« Reply #4 on: 07 July, 2008, 11:07:33 am »
Do you have to keep watering them, like you do with hanging baskets?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Chris S

« Reply #5 on: 07 July, 2008, 11:13:55 am »
I always wanted to try Bob Flowerdew's potato growing method - in a tyre tower. No need to earth up, just add a new tyre and some compost. Come harvest time, just take the tower apart and the taters fall out ready for the sack.

I'd also like to put some espalier apples on a trellis against our south facing walls - but I'm always very nervous of growing tree-like things near the house.

I like the idea of a wall hung 'lottment though  :thumbsup:

RogerT

• Playing with a big steamy thing
« Reply #6 on: 07 July, 2008, 11:17:25 am »
In a similar vein, The T household are experimenting with growing onions in pots this year.  Very promising so far.

Have used the pouches with a degree of success in the past..need constant watering though.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #7 on: 07 July, 2008, 12:46:20 pm »
I always wanted to try Bob Flowerdew's potato growing method - in a tyre tower. No need to earth up, just add a new tyre and some compost. Come harvest time, just take the tower apart and the taters fall out ready for the sack.

I've got three experimental sacks growing like that - rubble sacks that you roll down (like a sock) then roll back up again as you fill.  This time they haven't even died!

I'd also like to put some espalier apples on a trellis against our south facing walls - but I'm always very nervous of growing tree-like things near the house.

Got one of those too, a Cox against the garden wall.  Hopefully it won't destroy the drains...

Have used the pouches with a degree of success in the past..need constant watering though.

Thought as much - even with the gel.  Might rig something to the gutter...

« Reply #8 on: 11 July, 2008, 09:22:25 am »
They look great I have hanging basket tomatoes in a hanging basket  :P and ive noticed the apperance of some little tomatoes this week.

« Reply #9 on: 11 July, 2008, 09:54:21 am »
Sadly I can't get anything into our walls - the brick crumbles when I try to drill into it :(