Author Topic: Audaxing and sciatica  (Read 5156 times)

Re: Audaxing and sciatica
« Reply #25 on: 10 July, 2018, 05:29:19 pm »
I had bad sciatica in 2013, it can be very painful and none of the medication seemed to help any. I used to have a wallet in my rear pocket, which twists you slightly when seated, I no longer put anything in rear pockets! I also now use an extra lumber support when driving.
What helped the most was the NHS physio, first consultation was all about what movements hurt the most. The most uncomfortable exercise was a press up with your hips still on the ground(sorry don't know the yoga pose name), this really hurt and I wasn't impressed when the physio lady said "that's the one".
I returned to the physio after about 6 weeks of doing said exercise, the pain was still there but had moved upwards from my thigh to buttock, this really pleased the physio, apparently the higher up the pain the less trapped the nerve is! After a few more visits the pain had gone, I still did the exercises for the next 2 years though, when youv'e had sciatica you don't want it to return.
Wishing you a speedy and full recovery Mike.

« Reply #26 on: 11 July, 2018, 12:33:24 am »
FWIW, my wife's sciatica responded fairly well to physio, followed by pilates to build up core strength - MRI scans and hoping to avoid surgery c8 years ago, number and severity of twinges more or less directly related to how much (how little) pilates she's been doing for about the past 7.

Mike, it's horrible seeing someone in that sort of discomfort let alone being in it yourself - all the best for a solution.

« Reply #27 on: 11 July, 2018, 05:39:21 pm »
Mike, most of us like cycling - it's why we comment on this cycling forum - but it is not the end of the world not to cycle any more.

I hike as much if not more than cycling and there is another on this board who enjoys rowing, the point is whilst it sucks to lose an activity we enjoy though pain or disability or other causes, there is a whole world for us to explore by engaging it in different ways than can fulfill our love of being outdoors and challenging ourselves through physical exertion.

Besides, don't you live near Snowdon? I'd love to hike that diminutive mountain one of these days but I have roamed the national park around Betws-y-Coed and it is wonderful country, too nice to spoil riding a bike.  ;D

Hope you get relief soon.

« Reply #28 on: 11 July, 2018, 06:42:45 pm »
Besides, don't you live near Snowdon? I'd love to hike that diminutive mountain one of these days but I have roamed the national park around Betws-y-Coed and it is wonderful country, too nice to spoil riding a bike.  ;D

I'm in Saddleworth and (when the fires are out) there is loads of great walking near me.  I'm relishing getting to see places I'd normally just wiz by on the bike - well perhaps not wiz but you know what I mean.  You've given me an idea; I've never walked up Snowdon.

« Reply #29 on: 11 July, 2018, 10:48:26 pm »
You've given me an idea; I've never walked up Snowdon.

Every cloud, eh? Maybe getting sciatica will work out to be serendipitous for you.