Author Topic: what do you do ?  (Read 7780 times)

what do you do ?
« on: 23 May, 2012, 05:34:47 pm »
I've only started this year but I've got the bug, I know I was warned :facepalm:

so my mind has turned to doing an SR next year, what I would like to know is what do you people do when going over 200km with regards to carrying kit, especially the 400 and 600km distances, I already have a Barley which goes everywhere with me, would a super c or similar be adequate. I'm just trying to get an idea of what to look out for in readiness for next season, 

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: what do you do ?
« Reply #1 on: 23 May, 2012, 05:39:54 pm »
I was happiest with two small rear panniers. Never got on with bar bags or saddlebags.
Very few did the same.

rob

« Reply #2 on: 23 May, 2012, 05:43:19 pm »
I went a step bigger with a pendle.   Holds enough for a 400/600.   I previously had an overlander rackpack .

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3 on: 23 May, 2012, 05:45:55 pm »
I too have reason to contemplate luggage capacity.

I know from experience that I can do 200km with a small seat pack to carry multi-tool,spare tube,patches,glue,tyre boot,swiss army knife,zip ties,chain splitter.
I use a triathlon top-bar bag to carry Nuun tablets & energy bars.
My phone,wallet & cafe lock are carried in jersey pockets.
Route sheet,laminated,on a bar mounted map trap.

atm I expect my Barley to be adequate for upto & including 400km based on my observations of those audacious types on this forum.This will carry extra clothes,spare tubes,food,batteries.The strap loops on the lid also offer more carrying capacity.

« Reply #4 on: 23 May, 2012, 05:50:12 pm »
Small pannier user here, starter Audax's last year with a barbag, but never really got on with it, as it was limiting with capacity, could overload the front, and restricted what lights I could use, went onto using Ortlieb Sport Packer Classic, as I had already had them, if was buying at the time, would have looked at the Carridice range, probably the Pendle.,

« Reply #5 on: 23 May, 2012, 06:04:21 pm »
I've just used a barley for all of mine.

Longer rides (>=400k) or bad weather ones, I often toe-stap a drysac across the top with a spare jersey and shorts in it. And the spare tire is bungee corded to the bagman support. Seems to have worked so far, and despite appearance does seem to curb the amount I carry.

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #6 on: 23 May, 2012, 06:06:15 pm »
A barley plus a bar bag has been plenty for anything up to 600k.
Owner of a languishing Langster

Lycra Man

• SR 2011, 2012 & RRTY
« Reply #7 on: 23 May, 2012, 06:12:44 pm »
I now have a Carradice Camper Longflap, which is my all-purpose bag. On 200s and 300s it isn't full. On longer rides involving changes in temperature, or overnighting, I would still be able to carry a change of clothes, plus emergency rations, Nuun tablets, plus tools, etc.

Recently I have added a top-bar bag/triathlon bag, as it is easily accessible for Brevet card, Wine Gums without stopping.

Lycra Man

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #8 on: 23 May, 2012, 06:14:28 pm »
I often toe-stap a drysac across the top

smart thinking :thumbsup:

I may copy that

« Reply #9 on: 23 May, 2012, 07:26:12 pm »
Whatever you choose there's a great temptation to fill it to capacity. If you've got the space you'll be surprised what you can convince yourself you should carry "just in case" and 99% of the time it'll remain in the bag for the whole ride. I deliberately restrict myself to just a Barley and have found it perfect even for multi-day rides, however if you're somebody who likes to carry a change of shorts, tops, etc you'll find it a bit on the small side.
It didn't look at all like that in the photographs

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #10 on: 23 May, 2012, 07:31:54 pm »
Whatever you choose there's a great temptation to fill it to capacity. If you've got the space you'll be surprised what you can convince yourself you should carry "just in case" and 99% of the time it'll remain in the bag for the whole ride.

I have,& to some extent still do, suffer from this particular curse

I deliberately restrict myself to just a Barley and have found it perfect even for multi-day rides,

I employed this tactic for the last 7 days of an E2E.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 23 May, 2012, 07:34:02 pm »
Whatever you choose there's a great temptation to fill it to capacity. If you've got the space you'll be surprised what you can convince yourself you should carry "just in case" and 99% of the time it'll remain in the bag for the whole ride.

I have,& to some extent still do, suffer from this particular curse

Whereas I suffer from the inverse curse of choosing slightly smaller luggage, filling it to capacity, and then spending the whole ride worrying about the stuff I haven't brought...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #12 on: 23 May, 2012, 07:35:26 pm »
we should ride as a team & balance it out between us ;D

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #13 on: 23 May, 2012, 07:36:59 pm »
Carradice Nelson for me for anything from 400k to 1400k  :thumbsup:
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #14 on: 23 May, 2012, 07:40:45 pm »
Whereas I say 'spare capacity weighs practically nothing'.
Take it and use it judiciously.

Just because you have a spare carrier bag in your pocket, nobody says you have to fill it.

It's nice to remove clothing should the weather improve unexpectedly and to have space for that clothing.

« Reply #15 on: 23 May, 2012, 07:58:25 pm »
yep I think I'm with helly on this one, my Barley is certainly good enough for the rides I've been doing, I use an old boot lace to tie my jacket to the top of my Barley, but when it gets round to me going further than 300km I'm going to need extra space, not sure what for yet but I'll need it.
if nothing else it will be easier to get at stuff in the bottom of the bag :) 

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #16 on: 23 May, 2012, 08:00:14 pm »
I was in the same situation last weekend on the BCM600.

I normally do 200 / 300 with just a small seat pack, containing 1 spare tube, levers, repair kit, multi-tool ans couple of quick-links.

For a 600, I fitted a topeak seatpost-clamp rack with a slide-on bag.
I carried all the usual stuff, + 1 extra tube.
I carried an extra layer of fleece, in case it got cold.
My waterproofs went in there, too, to get them out of my jersey pocket.
Some extra rations went in the bag too.
There was spare room in case I needed to remove a layer.
Oh, and also a 50Kg Lead-Acid battery to satiate the Garmin's Hungaar.

In my jersey, I carried extra bonk rations.

I used the bag-drop facility ( I think I won that, I didn't spot anything bigger than my old purple Karrimor Hot Ice day-sack, containing 2 whole changes of kit! Prepared for a soaking all the way round, I had fresh kit for the evening ride, and fresh kit for the Sunday 200k. )

what do you do ?
« Reply #17 on: 23 May, 2012, 08:09:37 pm »
I've cable tied wet weather gear to the top tube when short of space.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #18 on: 23 May, 2012, 08:12:21 pm »
Here's me and A.N.Other forumite on PBP.  Here is the saddlebag I used.  I didn't take a waterproof apart from the gilet I'm wearing, but would have tied that to the top of the saddlebag.  As it was, that proved a useful place to tie washed shorts as they dried.  The 2.7l is bigger than it sounds but I think it's a bit smaller than a Barley, it suited me fine and I'd take the same bag again.

I subscribe to the idea that if you have too much carrying capacity, you'll fill it with unnecessary rubbish.  I took my Nelson on an overnight 400 with Shymu last week, because I had a set of clothes to wear on the train back and because I was testing out a touring load, and had no problems filling that - with an extra bottle of whisky for the last 100km of the ride!  The truth is, there are few places in this country that have roads, and yet are so isolated that you'll die between controls if something goes wrong and you don't have a full paramedic backup in your saddlebag.  In extremis you can usually buy something by the road if you've forgotten it, and this should happen at large enough intervals that it won't bankrupt you. 

Basically, your Barley will be fine.  Resist the magpie urge and your legs will thank you!

« Reply #19 on: 23 May, 2012, 08:20:24 pm »
you may have a point Mr Bunbury, I was surprised at the weight of my Barley, when I filled it ready for my first 200

« Reply #20 on: 23 May, 2012, 08:35:21 pm »
I've only ever used the Barley, from 50km Audaxes to 1400km.  Having said that, on the 10x600km+ eventsI've done, I've always been able to take advantage of a bag drop.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #21 on: 23 May, 2012, 08:45:03 pm »
Crap fills the space available. I have a Barley and use toe straps to strap a little extra for 600+ rides. I have more oftern finished and wondered why I brought all this stuff, and never wished I had brought more.

Sensible choice of layers is important. Good base layers and a wind proof can take you almost anywhere.

I did LEJOG with two base layers and two pairs of shorts and just enough for a day ride. Waterproof, gilet, arm and leg warmers and little else. Mind you it was July.
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #22 on: 23 May, 2012, 08:46:25 pm »
Do all 600's have a bag drop,

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #23 on: 23 May, 2012, 09:02:23 pm »
No.  You're guaranteed a bag drop if you return to base at any point, otherwise you may get one if you're on a big ride.  Here's a history of my 600s and their bag drop status.

Spa Trek: 200km + 400km loops, so bag drop at 200km.  I didn't use it.
Seething: 300 + 100 + 200km loops, so bag drops at 300km and 400km
York Cambridge York: Perm, so no bag drops here.
Bryan Chapman: Bag drop at Kings YHA, visited at 200km and 400km
PBP: No bag drops unless you travelled with Baxters or similar, but plenty of people shoving stuff at you along the route, both for free and for $$$. 

Last year's Nat. 24 counts as a 600, but that's something different!

« Reply #24 on: 23 May, 2012, 09:19:38 pm »
I'm half a step ahead of you Ferret, having just done my first 400+ ride the other day.  The temp ranged from 1° - 21°C but my medium sized Carradice (Nelson?) was fine to stow all the winter gloves/lock/powdered drink stuff/layers/lights/maps/batteries/fairly good range of spares/tools and also included a lot of food (as I don't seem to generate enough slack time for full meal cafe stops :( and also I don't have any money  :'( :'( :'(

I reckon if I was a careful and took a bit less food, I would have room for a space blanket/overshoes which I might take on the planned 600 if the weather forecast is not perfect.  Mind you, if it is crap I will probably DNS.