Author Topic: gpxeditor files and Garmin Edge 800  (Read 1068 times)

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
gpxeditor files and Garmin Edge 800
« on: 10 March, 2015, 07:01:49 am »
Hi,

I use Ben Turner's wonderful gpxeditor and this allows me to put all my tracks, routes and way points for a long ride into one file and simply copy it into my GPX folder on my Garmin eTrex 30 and have had no problems. I have planned my Easter Arrow in the same manner and one of the team has an Edge 800 and mailed me saying he could not get the device to read it. I have no experience of the 800. How does he load the file onto the Edge 800 so all the routes and tracks can be used?

Thanks
BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Re: gpxeditor files and Garmin Edge 800
« Reply #1 on: 10 March, 2015, 08:16:42 am »
I don't own an 800 but I've read that it's a unit that does not accept multiple tracks in the same .gpx file.
What it does with a .gpx file that contains a mixed bag of tracks, routes and waypoints (that the Etrex happily deals with) I really don't know, but my 'starter for ten' would be to go back on to gpxeditor, take the tracks individually and "save just this" - possibly taking the save as .tcx option (rather than .gpx) as I think Edge models play nicer with that.   You may not even need the 'route' bits.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #2 on: 10 March, 2015, 09:13:15 am »
You drop the GPX file into the NewFiles folder, and it will be imported on the next reboot.
The GPX file is deleted out of the NewFiles folder once the import is complete.

Yes, there is an import bug which affects GPX files with multiple tracks etc.
If a GPX contains say 6 tracks or routes, it will import only a random sub-set of these!
You need to check which ones got imported, and then load the missing ones.
It seems to manage 2 at a time reliably enough; so I tend to only send 2 and then let it import those, then the next two etc.
It's a minor PITA.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #3 on: 10 March, 2015, 04:25:49 pm »
I supply bundled Tracks to people for multi-week cycle tours and trust me, the 800** is a major PITA.

But the solution if you want Track-a-day, is to load them into NewFiles and reboot, rinse and repeat one by one.
Or to combine several shorter Tracks into a longer one, since the 800 is comfortable with a Track of 10,000 points.  That's more than enough for any conceivable Arrow route, there and back.

** and/or 800 users - because a lot of GPS problems (whatever model) are down to a lack of empathy more than anything else.

when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #4 on: 11 March, 2015, 12:39:49 pm »
Francis sent you a pm

cheers