Author Topic: Towing trailers  (Read 3000 times)

Towing trailers
« on: 26 December, 2018, 04:43:07 pm »
Any thoughts on torsional effects on rear wheel / spokes when towing Radical Design Chubby trailer with Airnimal Joey and my camping gear .

Re: Towing trailers
« Reply #1 on: 27 December, 2018, 01:28:08 pm »
Very little.

It will put a little bit more stress/strain on the spokes when you accelerate/hill climb but the extra braking forces will be through the front wheel/forks.
As for lateral forces it mainly depends on if the rate the trailer wobbles from side to side resonates with your cycling cadence.
Normally that's unfelt but depending on the balance of the load, state of the trailer wheel bearings,etc, etc it can build up a little.
But I've never heard of a two wheel trailer inducing a speed shimmy unlike the very odd case with a single wheel trailer.
So if you've a good back wheel, you'll have no problems.

I've done ~50k miles with a bent trike and large Carry Freedom trailer rig, half that distance was done on camping tours.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 27 December, 2018, 01:44:23 pm »
Yeah, the main advantage of two-wheel trailers is that (assuming you get the nose weight[1] and balance right) they decouple most of the load from affecting the handling of the bike.  Most of the time[2] you just feel this phantom extra mass under acceleration/braking/climbing.  I've had a bit of wobble with my Carry Freedom when carrying very awkward loads (long pieces of wood attached diagonally overhanging the hitch), but nothing that wasn't manageable.  A camping load ought to be fine.

Stands to reason that the rear wheel will have a much easier time of it than it would if the same load were attached to the bike.

[1] Insufficient nose weight can cause the rear wheel of the bike to lift under braking, which can be exiting.
[2] Except when the trailer runs over or snags on something (foliage, potholes, debris, Silly Sustrans Gates™, etc), which can result in sudden surprises.  Single-wheel trailers have an obvious advantage in avoiding this sort of thing - at least when the towing vehicle is a bicycle.

« Reply #3 on: 27 December, 2018, 01:53:55 pm »

[1] Insufficient nose weight can cause the rear wheel of the bike to lift under braking, which can be exiting.

Even more 'exciting' if the bike's rear lifts on off-camber corners  :facepalm:

also good for comedy dismounting moments...  ;D
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #4 on: 27 December, 2018, 01:57:06 pm »
I had a massive speed shimmy in my trailer yesterday :)  It was the first time I've used it - a second hand, cheap child trailer loaded with a rolled-up paddleboard, total weight about 15kg.  I think the weight was too far back and after a tight corner it decided it was going to fast and did a massive 'almost capsizing to the left, almost capsizing to the right' dance 2-3 times each side before I slowed down enough to save it.

I re-loaded the trailer to give it a bit more hitch weight and it seemed much happier!

« Reply #5 on: 28 December, 2018, 04:35:24 am »
I had a massive speed shimmy in my trailer yesterday :)  It was the first time I've used it - a second hand, cheap child trailer loaded with a rolled-up paddleboard, total weight about 15kg.  I think the weight was too far back and after a tight corner it decided it was going to fast and did a massive 'almost capsizing to the left, almost capsizing to the right' dance 2-3 times each side before I slowed down enough to save it.

I re-loaded the trailer to give it a bit more hitch weight and it seemed much happier!
What tyre pressure ??

I tend to max out my trailer tyres at only ~60 psi fully loaded.
I found that any higher and the trailer starts to bounce to much over bumps.
And the few times I've flipped the trailer has been from a wheel hitting a bump at speed.

Saying that, even with a full camping load, the CoG of the trailer is probably lower than the bent trike so I tend to tip first on a corner ...........  ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 28 December, 2018, 01:36:35 pm »
What tyre pressure ??

Agreed.  It's worse for cargo trips, because you're probably carrying more weight than a camping load, but doing half the trip unloaded.  The empty trailer can get quite bouncy if you're not paying attention.

« Reply #7 on: 29 December, 2018, 04:39:13 pm »
What tyre pressure ??

Agreed.  It's worse for cargo trips, because you're probably carrying more weight than a camping load, but doing half the trip unloaded.  The empty trailer can get quite bouncy if you're not paying attention.

Oh yes. I tipped over an unloaded trailer on the way back from the recycling facility. It felt so light afterwards so I rode home a bit energetically. Only takes a little pothole and a slightly overinflated tyre. I run then softer these days.

« Reply #8 on: 29 December, 2018, 07:08:11 pm »
Any thoughts on torsional effects on rear wheel / spokes when towing Radical Design Chubby trailer with Airnimal Joey and my camping gear .

You going for more comfort in your old age, old chap?  ;)

« Reply #9 on: 01 January, 2019, 05:46:51 pm »
Yeah, the main advantage of two-wheel trailers is that (assuming you get the nose weight[1] and balance right) they decouple most of the load from affecting the handling of the bike.  Most of the time[2] you just feel this phantom extra mass under acceleration/braking/climbing.  I've had a bit of wobble with my Carry Freedom when carrying very awkward loads (long pieces of wood attached diagonally overhanging the hitch), but nothing that wasn't manageable.  A camping load ought to be fine.

Stands to reason that the rear wheel will have a much easier time of it than it would if the same load were attached to the bike.

[2] Except when the trailer runs over or snags on something (foliage, potholes, debris, Silly Sustrans Gates, etc), which can result in sudden surprises.  Single-wheel trailers have an obvious advantage in avoiding this sort of thing - at least when the towing vehicle is a bicycle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #10 on: 01 January, 2019, 05:50:43 pm »

[2] Except when the trailer runs over or snags on something (foliage, potholes, debris, Silly Sustrans Gates, etc), which can result in sudden surprises.  Single-wheel trailers have an obvious advantage in avoiding this sort of thing - at least when the towing vehicle is a bicycle.

Thanks Kim , never towed before so went on Test Valley circuit , amazed as could hardly feel it , very smooth , bit slower on hills but good overall . Must remember it is wider than the bike

« Reply #11 on: 01 January, 2019, 05:53:32 pm »

You going for more comfort in your old age, old chap?  ;)
Ian H , has solved my flying with bike / camping gear problems , I do admit to slight older age however