Author Topic: route info please grantham area  (Read 1273 times)

route info please grantham area
« on: 28 December, 2009, 06:07:50 pm »
is the b 6403 busy as i hope to use it on a camping trip to welbourn at easter 2010 ?
i am grateful for any help  :thumbsup:
the slower you go the more you see

Re: route info please grantham area
« Reply #1 on: 28 December, 2009, 06:31:25 pm »
It's not my favourite road in that area. It's a Roman road, so very straight. A lot of speeding cars along there.
Not pleasant, but it'll get you where you want to go if you're trying to get somewhere.
If you have time, the lanes are much nicer, but tricky to navigate.

« Reply #2 on: 28 December, 2009, 07:03:37 pm »
The b 6403 or the old high dyke was the main road from London to York in Roman times.You could ride as far as Ancaster turn left and pick up the A607 to Welbourn.Easy to navigate,and not to bad.There are plenty of nicer lanes running parallel to said main roads.I could help you navigate the lanes if you like.Where are you coming from ?

« Reply #3 on: 29 December, 2009, 11:27:58 am »
my route at the moment comes through empingham ,cottesmore ,thisleton, colsterworth and then up the b road till the left tyurn just before the a17 . then following lanes . however i am open to  sujestions  :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #4 on: 29 December, 2009, 06:45:07 pm »
my route at the moment comes through empingham ,cottesmore ,thisleton, colsterworth and then up the b road till the left tyurn just before the a17 . then following lanes . however i am open to  sujestions  :)

If you are feeling hungry, then you could go via Wymondham and take the road north from there for about a quarter of a mile to the windmill for a very good feed or perhaps the transport cafe at Colsterworth if that's your bag.

« Reply #5 on: 29 December, 2009, 08:29:35 pm »
The nice thing about Colsterworth is that since this year you no longer need cross the A1 on the roundabout,its now been replaced by flyovers,much nicer to cycle over!There is also a flyover at great Gonerby just north of Grantham.If you went great Gonerby way you could take in the Vale of Belvoir.You could make this ride quite pleasant with a bit of planing :)The new flyovers at Colterworth and Great Gonerby should make life a little more pleasant for those doing the South then North 600k audax and the Middle roads ride as well.

« Reply #6 on: 29 December, 2009, 10:09:55 pm »
There is also a flyover at great Gonerby just north of Grantham.If you went great Gonerby way you could take in the Vale of Belvoir.You could make this ride quite pleasant with a bit of planing :)The new flyovers at Colterworth and Great Gonerby should make life a little more pleasant for those doing the South then North 600k audax and the Middle roads ride as well.

The flyover is only really a help on the Middle Road if you are going southbound where you used to have to get into the right hand lane just after the roundabout, but can now just go up the slip road. You still have to do about half a mile of A1 to reach the turn off.
Unless you are willing to add on a few extra miles to avoid a bit of A1.

« Reply #7 on: 30 December, 2009, 10:23:13 am »
Yes you are right teethgrinder the Great Gonerby flyover is indeed designed for cars as is the Colsterworth one.The Colsterworth flyover system is however a lot better for a cyclist though.