Author Topic: ACME Anvil Winter Series  (Read 118848 times)

Re: ACME Anvil Winter Series
« Reply #250 on: 04 November, 2018, 12:34:53 pm »
Intended starting at 1:30, but it was more like 1:45, on a 105 mile loop via Kimbolton, St Neots (where I rear wheel punctured, and was asked by a paramedic in a passing ambulance if I’d called them), Grantchester (Cambridge, where I turned into the wind), Saffron Walden and Braintree, arriving at 9:30 for a well earned veggie brekkie. I’d had a diet of shortbread fingers, a flapjack, and a chewy energy bar before that.

I was pleased to see team mate Big Saxon, and his Audax sidekick the Straggler, in the pub, as I don’t get to ride with them much. We had a gentle pace around the beautiful route, and enjoyed sit down refreshments at a cafe. We arrived back at the ‘spoons a bit later than planned, but I still had time to enjoy my fave veggie burger, chips and pint meal deal. It was also very nice when Huggy presented me with the badge for doing all four events. Only in Essex!

I had a lonely, dark ride to the Compasses (what’s new!), but watched the firework displays on the meandering 11 mile journey, arriving bang on 7 to a packed green room, where I sat chatting to Wilkyboy and others (does BTwin Dean go on here?), and sipping the one pint I was allowing myself there. It was good to get another Essex SR, and I enjoyed watching the awards.

I reluctantly left after 9, but needed to as I’d started to yawn, and steadily made my way onto the B roads to Dunmow and Stortford, then the A120. I felt like I had a lot of energy, and had bursts of riding fast, and out of the saddle efforts (to stretch the legs), but I had bags of time in hand, so took most of it steady. The A507 was still a chore, even though I hadn’t used it on the outward leg. There are almost as many roundabouts on it as in MK.

Anyway, I got home at 2:30, put the remaining choccy milk and unopened sarnie (bought for control receipts) in the fridge (just had them now, along with the crisps the Straggler gave me), had a bath, fell asleep in it, woke up 4ish, then went to bed.

Thanks Huggy, and the ACME team for all that you do to tempt this Milton Keynie over!
The end.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #251 on: 04 November, 2018, 12:47:56 pm »
... had a bath, fell asleep in it, woke up 4ish, then went to bed.

Didn't you tell us in the pub you intended NOT to do just that?!  ;D

Good to see you out yesterday and to chat at the pub  :thumbsup:
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

« Reply #252 on: 04 November, 2018, 12:56:19 pm »
I couldn’t face climbing into bed then getting asked aren’t I having a bath? (like I smell after 400km). I was determined not to nod off, but it just happened!

I feel ashamed that I’m not a organiser, when Wilkyboy joined the year before I did, and is so accomplished (still dreaming of the butternut squash soup).

Deano4

• Trouble
« Reply #253 on: 04 November, 2018, 01:19:29 pm »
(does BTwin Dean go on here?),

Yes, I am on here.

Was nice to meet you, very pleasant evening at the compasses. Will put a ride report up later when I have time :o).

Congrats on your epic ride, very impressive.

Best wishes
Dean
ACME - Suffolk Branch

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #254 on: 04 November, 2018, 01:22:08 pm »
I feel ashamed that I’m not a organiser, when Wilkyboy joined the year before I did, and is so accomplished (still dreaming of the butternut squash soup).

Don't be — there are over 6000 members and 150 or so active organisers (I think).  Not every member needs to be an organiser.

ps. Mrs WB's the accomplished one in the hospitality department; I just run the events.

« Reply #255 on: 05 November, 2018, 02:50:52 pm »
Great to align the prize giving and event, made it even better and led to some, errr, adventurous ECEing (poor Martin).

For those of you who didn't know who Darren Franks was, sitting quietly in the corner, then read his LEL blog for a start - one of the best. Also note he started riding FOUR years ago and has a TCR, most of a Trans Am and the LEL to his credit already. While his writing is very entertaining and self deprecating in person you got a glimpse of the steely determination underneath. When I asked him what his physical base was if it wasn't cycling he did admit to be a semi-pro Kung Fu dude in his 20 doing 40 hours a week.... yikes.... anyway; read on: https://theadventurecapitalist.wordpress.com/2017/08/16/lel-2017-part-1/

A

rob

« Reply #256 on: 05 November, 2018, 02:57:18 pm »
Bit annoyed not to make it.   We came back from holiday early so that I could get my hand checked out at hospital and it ended up that it was broken.

Technically I could still have driven but by the time I got round to checking the traffic there were 90 minute queues at both Dartford and Blackwall.   Went to the fireworks down the road instead.

the straggler

• ACME Award Recipient & ROTY 2021
« Reply #257 on: 05 November, 2018, 10:31:14 pm »
I had been pondering upon the logistics and how best to fit an ECE before and after 3Rs event, attend the ACME awards evening and camp overnight, taking into account the forecast wind strength and direction.

Made a sensible decision to drop my camping gear off at the Compasses on Friday night by car. Did the 85km early morning ECE stage and crossed paths with Tomsk at Radwinter before arriving at the event.  Rode steadily with dynamic duo Team MK riders, Big Saxon and Bikeabilityman during the event. At Latchingdon BP garage control, Bikeabilityman had to make do with a milkshake after having no luck with finding a snack to meet his special dietary requirements.  Moments later another arrivee enters the store and returns with a veggie sandwich much to our amusement.

Only had a brief stop at the finish, before joining the Acme group for the last 17km ECE leg to Littley Green.  Much enjoyed the evening with good food, fine ales and seeing other riders receiving their well earned awards. Whilst others slowly left after the presentation either to finish their ECEs or to return home into the cold darkness again, I only had to stumble 25 yards to my tent. I managed to stay warm during the night with forecast temp of around 6 degree C.

I joined bhoot tandem for breakfast before repacking the 6.5kg camping gear, tent, sleeping bag and liner and bivvy bag (not used) into a large rucksack before trundling home some 45km. Wearing the rucksack was not as uncomfortable as I had envisaged.

Many thanks to Huggy, Tomsk and Joss for arranging and organising a great day and evening entertainment.

CCS - Setting the Standards

« Reply #258 on: 06 November, 2018, 12:59:01 pm »
If we’re the dynamic duo, I’m Batman (or were they just the caped crusaders?).

Deano4

• Trouble
« Reply #259 on: 06 November, 2018, 07:05:10 pm »
The Essex 3R's, the first of the Winter Series and the only one I hadn't completed since I started Audax in 2017. Grant kindly held up the traffic again at the start we could make our escape and we were on our way to the first info control.

It was a lovely mild day for November and I realised I was wearing too many layers and we very hot. I unzipped my jacket and that seemed to help and spent the time to the control pondering whether to take it off when I got there. I was riding with Jane and Carl, we saw Andy along the way fixing an unexpected deflation.

Once at the control, I jotted down the answer on my brevet and then noticed that everyone had left me. Story of my life, but I could see them in the distance and at the moment the wind wasn't very strong - so upping my pace I was able to catch them as we passed the first reservoir. There was a bit of traffic coming into Maldon (when isn't there?) A driver had stopped their car in the middle of the hill and was just waiting there, very strange. We filtered past it and the other cars and into the Rose and Crown Wetherspoons for some lunch.

A little while later we arrived at the petrol station in Latchingdon, I was still full up from my lunch at the Wetherspoons, so bought some jelly babies for later to get a receipt and then back on the road to the post office at Stock.

This next stage was a bit of a slog against the wind and I think the hills! Eventually though, the Post Office presented itself and I was prepared this time with cash, so I only had to buy a drink for £1 rather than £5 worth of stuff to use my card, like I did on the summer version of this ride.

We had changed direction now for the next stage to Danbury and the wind was behind us which made for easy cycling. Arriving around 15:45 just before they closed I stamped my brevet.

The final leg was fast, following Jason and Jane we went off route missing out Terling and heading down the cycle path along the A12 (Sshh!) to reach the Arrivee before it was dark.

After some refreshments and an ever later leaving time we made our to the Compasses, bumping into Andy along the way. It was a good November night, the smell of bonfire in the air and fireworks lighting up the sky.

The award ceremoney was great, it was nice to see everyone pick up their awards especially Jan for the most points. Pleased I got my Essex SR medal, will aim to get another next year! At around 23:00hrs I figured it was probably time to tackle the last 20 miles home.

Thanks to Grant for organising and the ACME team in general!
-Dean
ACME - Suffolk Branch

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #260 on: 18 November, 2018, 11:51:32 am »
Route Check and Helpers' Ride yesterday for the Stansted Airport Express - thanks to Deniece, Deano_44 and BFC for helping to check the route: they'll be my team on the day along with Mrs T and possibly offspring ... Damp start for my ECE, but it turned out to be a beautiful day with just a bit of south easterly headwind back to Witham from Thaxted.

Plenty of Essex's finest clay is finding it's way onto the lanes along with partly rotted leaves - CARE NEEDED! The bike is filthy [but I'm not  :smug:] - remember those mudguards and flaps folks.

Some tweaks to gps and route sheet needed, lots of missing signs etc. Riders should expect an email and updated stuff on AUKweb later this week.

« Reply #261 on: 19 November, 2018, 10:52:53 am »
 :thumbsup: If we get weather like yesterday for the day it would be MAGIC!

Deano4

• Trouble
« Reply #262 on: 19 November, 2018, 12:24:32 pm »
Was a good ride, and the beetles looked good in the morning sun and mist. Not sure I was much help with the route check but looking forward to helping out on the day  :).
ACME - Suffolk Branch

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #263 on: 19 November, 2018, 12:35:08 pm »
I'll be repeating my ECE of the SAE and ride 101km from home to 'spoons which should be 2.5km for me  :facepalm:
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #264 on: 19 November, 2018, 12:39:17 pm »
I'll be in for at least 72km ECE in each direction.  I've a few squares to bag on the way in one direction, hopefully the morning, probably the afternoon, to bring the ECE to about 155km.  The question is — can I be bothered to ride the other 45km for the extra point?  Hmm ... ::-)

« Reply #265 on: 19 November, 2018, 01:16:51 pm »
I reckon I'll be repeating my train assisted journey before and after the ride....I'm really liking just doing the 100 even if my fitness is not!

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #266 on: 19 November, 2018, 01:21:36 pm »
I reckon I'll be repeating my train assisted journey before and after the ride....I'm really liking just doing the 100 even if my fitness is not!

:thumbsup:

I'm at the end of my RTTY so no commitment to maintain a 200km.. perhaps that opens the door for my first fixed audax?
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #267 on: 19 November, 2018, 01:23:56 pm »
it is a very fixed friendly route  :thumbsup:

Perhaps it opens the door to your first fixed RRTY ?
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #268 on: 19 November, 2018, 01:29:19 pm »
That would involve distances > 100km on fixed though!

100 miles was tough, I admire you who can knock out 200km / SR on fixed.  I was knackered!
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #269 on: 19 November, 2018, 02:54:17 pm »
lets see what you are saying in a few months...would be great training for the legs in the winter before PBP

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #270 on: 19 November, 2018, 02:55:35 pm »
lets see what you are saying in a few months...would be great training for the legs in the winter before PBP

Would be great to ride on PBP, too  :thumbsup: :facepalm:

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #271 on: 19 November, 2018, 02:57:43 pm »
Oh FFS!!!! leave it out! (even I was thinking that as I was riding yesterday  :facepalm: )
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #272 on: 19 November, 2018, 03:00:24 pm »
Oh FFS!!!! leave it out! (even I was thinking that as I was riding yesterday  :facepalm: )

Hang on, you said you were doing the TCR on fixed. If you aren’t we’ll need to change your application film  ::-)

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #273 on: 19 November, 2018, 04:41:09 pm »
/thread derailment I thought TCR plan involved clown bikes (outfit optional) ?

Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #274 on: 19 November, 2018, 04:53:39 pm »
/thread derailment I thought TCR plan involved clown bikes (outfit optional) ?

That would certainly look good on film  ;D