Author Topic: Dura ace bar end shifters not working with a Deore Triple  (Read 1596 times)

Dura ace bar end shifters not working with a Deore Triple
« on: 27 July, 2014, 10:42:09 am »
This is supposed to work- it's on lots of bikes but it won't work on mine

Which is an old  Kaffenback by the way

The problem seems that they won't pull the changer( tiagra triple) enough to move it from small to medium to large. It wil do one to the other but not all three.

My diagnosis is that it won't pull enough cable or I can't get the caple taught enough to move up  from medium to large and then back down again...

Any ideas..  Cables are routed under the bars...

Re: Dura ace bar end shifters not working with a Deore Triple
« Reply #1 on: 27 July, 2014, 11:00:29 am »
It sounds roughly similar to my Disc Trucker set-up: DA bar end shifters with a MTB chainset and front mech (SLX in my case). I haven’t had any problems with shifting at the front though it does use (almost) the entire range of movement of the shifter. Could it be that there is a little cable slack when you are on the small ring at the front?

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2 on: 27 July, 2014, 11:01:40 am »
deore is mtb mech and tiagra is road mech - which one is on your bike? road levers pull less cable, so this could be the reason if you pair it to mtb mech. or the gear cable inner is not lubed in the housing and gets stuck?..

« Reply #3 on: 27 July, 2014, 11:42:21 am »
Yes, tried the slack cable bit....

Just seems to be not quite enough movement  to get  the middle to the outer...
I ve the same  set up with some friction thumbshifter( very old suntours)  and not a problem. Also worked ok with a set of Tiagra 9 STIs...

Some thing is not quite right

« Reply #4 on: 27 July, 2014, 12:38:21 pm »
Worked on a bike this morning with this very setup - It worked fine!

Only thing I can think if it's been setup properly - The front shifter; It's not a 2/3 is it and it's currently setup for a double? Take it apart, fiddle with the gubbins and it should be reet.

« Reply #5 on: 27 July, 2014, 12:50:05 pm »
No, a Tiagra Triple...

I suspect I am doing some  wrong

« Reply #6 on: 27 July, 2014, 12:53:11 pm »
No, a Tiagra Triple...

I suspect I am doing some  wrong

No, the shifter itself. The Dura Ace thing, poking out of your handlebar.

« Reply #7 on: 27 July, 2014, 01:35:52 pm »
You mean you can change the range on the shifter so it's a triple. The shifter was previously working a 50/35 but not very happily.
Time for a strip down- but that will have to wait until after I am back from the commonwealth games.

« Reply #8 on: 27 July, 2014, 03:02:41 pm »
I'd be checking it was setup properly first though - was the shifter 'reset' when/if the cable was changed?

« Reply #9 on: 27 July, 2014, 09:54:00 pm »
I've got a Deore triple (old Mega9) on the front of my Long Haul Trucker. It works absolutely fine with the 9 speed duraace bar end shifters. The indexing at the rear has always been a bit marginal though, so I use them in friction mode.

Mike

« Reply #10 on: 01 August, 2014, 11:41:45 pm »
Now  working, stripped it down and started again- I agree that the rear works best on friction....