Author Topic: taking up photography  (Read 6377 times)

LE

Re: taking up photography
« Reply #25 on: 27 October, 2008, 07:05:58 am »
Thank you all for the wonderful advice. I've dcided that I am goint to practice shots on my phone camera. I can often see the art in a shot but find it hard to translate to the camera. I usually do something wrong with lighting or don't get in close enough. I have some time on my hands at present, so I can experiment a little and see what happens. Unfortnately I'm not in the position where I can upload photos to flikr or photobucket so they can be posted on the critique thread. I intend to take full advantage of that when I can. :)

Thanks again. 

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #26 on: 27 October, 2008, 07:56:45 am »
Can't really add much, but one book which has really helped me is 'Understanding Exposure' by Bryan Peterson.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of NĂºmenor
« Reply #27 on: 27 October, 2008, 10:16:00 am »
With the phone, you can practise composition - without a doubt the most important aspect of any good photography. You will also get a feel for the sort of features you want in a more highly specified camera when you decide to move on, based on the type of photography you want to do.

When you want to get more creative, you will probably want to be able to control shutter speed and aperture (amongst others). There are many highly specified compact cameras that allow this - but avoid models that make you use the menu system to set them - ideally you want dials/controls on the camera body for this.

However, there is one important restriction with digital compact cameras, and that is the ability to create "shallow depth of field". This is when you have the subject sharp, but foreground and background blurred, to make the subject pop out (Often used for portraiture). Here is an example. You can see the eyes are sharp, the background blurred. There is not much foreground, but even the nose is starting to go out of focus.

This effect is not possible (or at best very difficult) with digital compact cameras. Without getting technical, this is due to the sensor size (typically 1/20th surface area of a 35mm negative, or smaller), which nearly all digital compacts have. To get this effect you will either need a DSLR, or one of the very few (only 2 or 3 that I know of and very expensive) digital compacts with larger sensors (typically slightly less than 1/2 surface area of a 35mm negative).

Some links on composition
Rules of photo composition
 Digital Photography Composition Tips

Photography: The Rules Of Composition (Technology: Digital Cameras: User's Guide)

See also

Digital Cameras: User's Guide - advice videos on  Digital Cameras: User's Guide