Author Topic: Forget fixed, a mountain bike is the ideal commuter  (Read 3488 times)

rae

Forget fixed, a mountain bike is the ideal commuter
« on: 31 March, 2008, 09:56:07 pm »
So I went for a ride to the park with the children on Sunday.   The youngest (2 7/8ths) did 4 miles on his little bike with no stabilisers (have I mentioned that before?), and I took the old MTB.   It was a very good MTB in its time, which was, er, 1995.  All the same, carbon frame, Pace RC30s, kevlar bars and Hope Ti hubs makes for a lot of fun.  I'd forgotten just how much fun being a hooligan can be.  Kerb stones, big slides and wheelies all impressed the little ones - OK they're easily impressed.

So this morning I was about to pick up the fixed when I decided to take the MTB - the MTB with its 1.95" full mud Michelin tyres - to work.   

Amazing.   It isn't a lot slower, but you have to work to keep up the speed.  Potholes are rather irrelevant.  Hoisting the bike over a kerbstone when a bus is in the way is simple.  Huge tailslides on the greasy bit of the work car park impressed the security guard.   Oh, and racing the other commuters takes on a whole new dimension.   When you're on some flash road bike, they ignore you.   Overtake them on a fat tyred MTB and they give it everything they've got.   This evening's workout was serious. 

I feel like I'm about 10 again.    I think I will stick with it for summer commuting. 

Re: Forget fixed, a mountain bike is the ideal commuter
« Reply #1 on: 31 March, 2008, 09:58:10 pm »
Double points for winning a commuter race on MTB (treble if opponent is rapha clad)  :thumbsup:

« Reply #2 on: 31 March, 2008, 10:09:35 pm »
If you've only got a few miles it must be loads of fun - I've got nearly 20, which I try to keep as close to the hour as poss.  This is doable on my folder, it takes longer but still enjoyable, but a MTB would be pure slog and about 1hr 40 I should think.

rae

« Reply #3 on: 01 April, 2008, 01:08:55 pm »
Yes, needless to say, this is for a short commute of about 5 miles, not a huge distance.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #4 on: 01 April, 2008, 01:16:26 pm »
I used a 'road' converted Saracen Tuff Trax for commuting untill the rear mech caught on something in the shed and the hanger bolt sheared off. I'm now using my fixed.

As you say fat tyres give a comfortable ride and it's great for short distances. May go back to the Saracen when I get the derailleur fixed

« Reply #5 on: 03 April, 2008, 08:43:04 am »
I have been commuting on a mtb for ages since being cut off somewhat short I prefer 26'' wheels anyway.

The frame takes proper mudguards and a rack, a hub dynamo, self-built LED lights and Ritchey "Tom Slick" round it of. No worries, just ride, the mtb components are really tough.
It has got too many gears, though.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6 on: 03 April, 2008, 08:46:19 am »
I ride a fixed mountain bike to work!
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #7 on: 03 April, 2008, 10:37:50 am »
If you've only got a few miles it must be loads of fun - I've got nearly 20, which I try to keep as close to the hour as poss.  This is doable on my folder, it takes longer but still enjoyable, but a MTB would be pure slog and about 1hr 40 I should think.

1 hour 40?!  :o You're seriously over-estimating the amount of drag from nobbly tyres, there. I'd do 20 miles quicker than that on my SS MTB (47" gear), and on the geared mtb cruising speed is about 17mph on the flat (similar effort gives about 19 mph on a road bike). In stop-start and/or roughly surfaced condition, as descripbed by Rae, the difference in speed will be imperceptable, and may even come down in the MTB's favour.  :thumbsup:

Fit some Big Apple tyres, or similar, and the only disadvantage is the extra width of MTB handlebars...
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Si

« Reply #8 on: 03 April, 2008, 11:13:08 am »
I used to use a road bike for commutes....but with the state of inner Birmingham, all the road works, pot holes, eastside redevelopment work / crap surface bike paths / etc it started to shake itself apart in a few months.

Now use my scrap heap MTB and it's lasted years with virtually no maintenance. It's also better at carrying heavy loads.

Although I am thinking of SSing it as the mechs are starting to jam up anyway.  I don't use knobblies on it anymore as I found IRC Metros just as p*nct*re resistent and quicker.