Author Topic: London Bus drivers  (Read 3480 times)

Jakob

London Bus drivers
« on: 13 May, 2008, 11:31:07 am »
What happened to them in the 5 months I was off the road?. While they had over the last couple of years at least learned to grudgingly respect cyclists, now they are outright polite!.
1. Going down Essex Road, a 38 (Bendy) is starting to pull out as I'm about to go past. I had already started slowing down, but the driver spots me (I'm still behind the bus), sticks his hand out and waves me past.
2. Going down Essex Road (again) and I need to turn right onto Cross St. Traffic is pretty heavy, but again, a bendy bus coming the opposite direction flashes his lights, slows and let me cross. (There's no cars behind me)
3. Roseberry Avenue. Me and 2 other cyclists end up in the inside of a bendy at the lights and with the road narrowing, I either have to wait or get in front when the lights change. I have decided to wait, but bus driver waits until we take off.
4. Again today, one patiently waits behind me approaching a stop (he *could* have made the overtake if he wanted), another pulls slight left to give me space as I filter through the jammed traffic.

Currently the biggest hazards in the 4 days since I got my bike on the road again, have been other cyclists.

Re: London Bus drivers
« Reply #1 on: 13 May, 2008, 11:41:48 am »
Clearly, people are dumbstruck by the beauty of the new bike and are taking every opportunity to gaze at it..

fuzzy

« Reply #2 on: 13 May, 2008, 12:59:37 pm »
This is the 'Boris Effect'. It isn't the drivers acting nice, it is the bus exerting its' will over the driver in an effort to placate the new mayor and get him to change his mind.

« Reply #3 on: 13 May, 2008, 01:01:05 pm »
I've noticed several friendly bus drivers of late, as well.  Maybe they like the sunshine. 

« Reply #4 on: 13 May, 2008, 01:12:04 pm »
This is the 'Boris Effect'. It isn't the drivers acting nice, it is the bus exerting its' will over the driver in an effort to placate the new mayor and get him to change his mind.

Exactly what I was thinking too  ;D 

The new bus behaviour is all down to you lot in Londno choosing a new mayor.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #5 on: 13 May, 2008, 01:16:02 pm »
Write to the companies involved and thank them...
It is simpler than it looks.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 13 May, 2008, 03:57:01 pm »
True.  And a good idea, Jaded.

I well remember my first experience of cycling in London.  Got off the train from Sheffield (I think this was material), put my bike on the road.  Quick look over my shoulder - three buses coming.  They're bound to let me out, I thought.

After nearly getting knocked off three times in a row, I realised I wasn't in Kansas* any more...

But now, bus drivers seem to have got used to the number of cyclists, and often wait patiently for a proper opportunity to overtake.

Sure, there are idiots in them big red things, but, considering how many more bus drivers there are now, improving the quality surely speaks volumes about TfL's training.

* Or South Yorkshire
Getting there...

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #7 on: 13 May, 2008, 04:36:36 pm »
I emailed Lothian Buses to say how considerate their bus drivers are (especially in comparison to First Bus, who seem to want me dead) and got an appreciative reply. I don't think that's anything to do with Boris though.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8 on: 13 May, 2008, 04:41:55 pm »
How little you know about his power.... ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #9 on: 13 May, 2008, 04:50:52 pm »
How little you know about his power.... ;D

The fear is that he'll have as much an influence over London Buses as he does over Lothian Buses.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10 on: 13 May, 2008, 04:52:49 pm »
That's secretly my hope.  That way, he can mess up neither. ;)

Getting there...

miloat

« Reply #11 on: 13 May, 2008, 06:53:06 pm »
Not long ago near finsbury park Waiting to get on the road a bus pullled across and stayed blocking traffic to let me out shocked me a bit that did.

Jakob

« Reply #12 on: 13 May, 2008, 09:23:37 pm »
The balance is restored:
Going to the roller-race this evening, I patiently wait at the lights at Southampton Row. Lights change, big gaggle of cyclists starts getting across (me included) and a bus blatantly jumps the lights and nearly takes out 4 cyclists. His reaction to people shouting at him, was showing his finger.
 This wasn't even amber...or close to it. Think red-blooded courier type, "throw myself into the traffic" style light jumping and it was not fun. I considered taking a picture of his plate, but for whatever reason decided not to.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #13 on: 14 May, 2008, 06:55:52 am »
I am more likely to see buses jump red lights on my commute than just about any other vehicle.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #14 on: 14 May, 2008, 09:48:01 am »
The last time I went to a gig at the Brixton Academy, I was returning to the tube station and noticed an altercation between a ped and an RLJ.  The ped was very worked up.

"You faaaaaackin' caaaaaant!  You fink red lights don' apply to you?"

and so forth, followed by a flurry of kicks from a pair of Stout Boots to the offender's machine.

Said machine being a double-decker bus.

We applauded.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Jakob

« Reply #15 on: 14 May, 2008, 10:43:38 am »
I am more likely to see buses jump red lights on my commute than just about any other vehicle.

This wasn't just 'following the cars in front even if the light has changed". Traffic had stopped, our side started moving and this bus came hurtling across. In 7+ years of cycling in London, it's one of the worst I've seen. (Ok, I've seen a WVM do worse, but then there was a lot less traffic). Now, in hindsight , I regret not taking a picture and maybe even grabbing a witness or two.

« Reply #16 on: 14 May, 2008, 10:55:46 am »
And then you didn't take his details and complain?  Crikey!!!!
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.