Author Topic: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen  (Read 638219 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen
« Reply #525 on: 05 August, 2010, 10:20:24 am »
There's a firm in China that makes "imitation Stridas" (they're actually a little bit smaller and have some detail design changes) in pink, quite likely they also do white.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #526 on: 06 August, 2010, 07:07:09 am »
Well, I'm out in Portland right now and saw an Il Pompino earlier today, that's a bike that has travelled!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #527 on: 06 August, 2010, 09:27:02 am »
Well, I'm out in Portland right now and saw an Il Pompino earlier today, that's a bike that has travelled!

Someone turned up to spectate at Battle Mountain with a Pomp last year - quite possibly the same person!  He was impressed when I told him I knew the bloke who owns the only Ti Pompino in captivity 8)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #528 on: 08 August, 2010, 06:48:53 pm »
A pair of knitted bikes...

In Whitstable yesterday. One had a label on it with the words "I heart knitstable"

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #529 on: 08 August, 2010, 06:56:29 pm »
Near Newbury: Dad taking son for a ride.  Son on cheapo MTB.  Dad on TT bike WITH pointy helmet AND actually using the tri-bars.

Bastard!
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #530 on: 08 August, 2010, 09:22:46 pm »
I rode today with a wonderful lady who was riding her Les Rigden.

When we were stopped in Hadlow, we saw a group of riders go past, which included a Raleigh with rod brakes and a Pedersen! :thumbsup:

Getting there...

« Reply #531 on: 09 August, 2010, 09:43:14 am »
Wheelchair-sidecar bicycle.

At a friend's wedding. The groom was the pilot, and the bride the passenger.

Didn't get a picture, but I'm sure some will turn up; I'll post one then.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #532 on: 12 August, 2010, 11:38:10 pm »
A tricycle-mounted hotdog stall. CMOT Dibbler has indeed moved with the times. ;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #533 on: 17 August, 2010, 07:19:12 pm »
Georgia was not a good place for bikes, because of the state of the roads and the state of the drivers, this one stood out.

Now this may not look much, after all it is only a single speed/fixie, albeit russian (Name reads "Aist" in English" but.....

I saw this in Georgia, in Shatili, a village at the @rsehole of beyond, at the end of a track that took 4 hours to drive about 50K in a 4x4. There is no through road. It is cut off 7 months of the year (a bulldozer had to clear the way through a 4 meter snowdrift on the way). One way up to these houses is along a 20% gradient, the other a 40%.

Hardcore or what?

(Please note, no slack in the chain)

This is the view of the houses http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/lh/photo/oUgh3zV4Cm4CFWQog2OW8g?feat=directlink and this is part of the reason for going, a cluste of houses that have stood virtually unchanged for 1,300 years http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/lh/photo/B83PfvqJhYDefXIuiL_-eg?feat=directlink

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #534 on: 17 August, 2010, 07:39:34 pm »
Amazing. The houses, not the bike. Though I dare say the rider is pretty impressive.

« Reply #535 on: 05 September, 2010, 10:15:56 pm »
Possibly the VERY best bike at the London Skyride

Yes, they were pulling.

« Reply #536 on: 05 September, 2010, 10:23:09 pm »
LA GAZZETTA DELLA BICI: ONLY in Portsmouth, The Cervelo Tricycle.......

Strictly speaking, it's not in Portsmouth - the only trikes you'll see in the south coast's equivalent of Mos Eisley are the illegitimate children of VW Beetles and custom chopper front ends.

I've actually seen this example of velocipedal wrongness parked outside Barreg Cycles in Fishbourne, and that's practically in Chichester...
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #537 on: 05 September, 2010, 10:25:35 pm »
Can't find a link to the bikes, but saw a Landscape tandem outside the Botanic Gardens in Cambridge yesterday with drop bars, 700c wheels, skinny tyres, and discs the size of dinner plates. Immense. There were loads of tandems about, so I wonder if there was a tandem club event on.

Re: Interesting or unusual bikes you have spotted recently
« Reply #538 on: 09 September, 2010, 01:35:38 pm »
Spotted a Trikidoo yesterday and today, in Harston. The lass on it appears to be using the A10 briefly to get her kiddies to school. Plastered in hi-viz stickers. She seemed very happy when I said I liked it. Looks more stable than a Pashley. Celeb pic below.

Well, I read through this thread last night, and I'd never heard of these, and lo and behold, I think I saw my first one of these on my way into work this morning!
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #539 on: 09 September, 2010, 01:37:46 pm »
I saw a Christiania-style kid-carrying trike near Kennington yesterday.  In convoy with another child on a bike.  Blocked the cycle lane rather, but in a good cause. :thumbsup:
Getting there...

corshamjim

« Reply #540 on: 09 September, 2010, 01:55:21 pm »
I saw a Trikidoo in Corsham this morning too.  :)   I've seen it around once or twice before.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #541 on: 09 September, 2010, 02:19:26 pm »
Yesterday in a bike shop in Lublin, a old, lugged steel, road frame which was noteable simply for having an old-style, cyrillic and most-likely Soviet name, МИНСК in some bold black-edged white "3D-effect" font. Wasn't able to ask anything about it because as soon as I'd noticed it, it was carried out by a woman who'd brought it in for something or other.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Mercian???
« Reply #542 on: 11 September, 2010, 07:40:46 pm »

Spotted around the corner from Leadenhall Market a few months ago.  (Yes, I'm quite behind in sorting out my photographs.)
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #543 on: 11 September, 2010, 07:46:04 pm »
Possibly a respray when they couldn't be bothered to source the full transfer set.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #544 on: 11 September, 2010, 07:53:56 pm »
LA GAZZETTA DELLA BICI: ONLY in Portsmouth, The Cervelo Tricycle.......

Strictly speaking, it's not in Portsmouth - the only trikes you'll see in the south coast's equivalent of Mos Eisley are the illegitimate children of VW Beetles and custom chopper front ends.

I've actually seen this example of velocipedal wrongness parked outside Barreg Cycles in Fishbourne, and that's practically in Chichester...

As a resident of Pompey, I'd have to agree....

I go past Barreg fairly often, never seen that particular abomination.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #545 on: 13 September, 2010, 01:32:44 pm »
Slightly OT (the bikes aren't unusual), I just saw two Boris bikes being wheeled up the pavement on Kingsway by a pair of young ladies wearing tutus.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #546 on: 13 September, 2010, 02:35:01 pm »
Saw a Bullit cargo bike in Ken Gardens yesterday, the owner was using it to carry his two dogs around.  :thumbsup:
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #547 on: 13 September, 2010, 09:12:29 pm »
For a second time, I saw someone riding a lowrider in Mitcham.  I think they must be commuting on it. 

Last week, I saw a guy (quite a small chap) wearing building/rigging clothes riding a Chopper which had had it's apehangers replaced by some BMX bars.  A very unusual position.  And quite speedy, too.
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #548 on: 14 September, 2010, 10:01:52 pm »
I was passed by a Banana!

A Raleigh-Banana team replica (probably one of the 501 ones)
Getting there...

border-rider

« Reply #549 on: 15 September, 2010, 07:08:10 pm »
Freddie Grub with SA 4-speed hub (calm down, 'zilla ;) )

Outside the pub today