Author Topic: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen  (Read 638258 times)

Re: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen
« Reply #825 on: 21 March, 2011, 09:37:26 am »
as I left the village hall in Hauxton after the End of Snooze - a triplet with parents on front and back and junior in the middle with a set of kiddiecranks.  Not hanging about, either.

« Reply #826 on: 22 March, 2011, 07:14:52 pm »
This morning, just before Chelsea Bridge (near the burger van) someone was pushing a triplet along the pavement in the opposite direction to me.  It was sans any stokers, but looked like it was probably for two children, since even the pilot's seat wasn't all that high, and the stoker's seats got progressively shorter.
Actually, it is rocket science.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #827 on: 22 March, 2011, 07:23:08 pm »
I sat on the edge of Wandsworth Common waiting for Butterfly, and in about ten mimutes or so, roughly twenty bikes rode past.  Including a GoCycle, and a rather pretty, but aging, purple Dave Yates MTB.
Getting there...

« Reply #828 on: 24 March, 2011, 06:50:59 pm »
Sinclair C5 on the road today, must be 20 years since I have seen one in the flesh as it were.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #829 on: 25 March, 2011, 02:38:17 pm »
A Boris Bike on Queenstown Road, going southward, which is kind of unusual, since all the docking stations would have been behind him at that point, and getting further away.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #830 on: 25 March, 2011, 08:01:38 pm »
A Boris Bike on Queenstown Road, going southward, which is kind of unusual, since all the docking stations would have been behind him at that point, and getting further away.

Must have nicked it off the rightful hirer at the lights. #

#This may or may not contain ludicrous supposition or traces of ludicrous supposition,
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #831 on: 25 March, 2011, 10:36:51 pm »
Every day this week, locked up outside my son's school: a green Brompton with a black tube bolted on to it forming a right-angle between seat post and main frame tube, supporting a child's saddle and foot pegs, which look as if they've come from a motorcycle - they fold. This is hauling a black trailer bike, the boom of which folds, and whose blue rear triangle is that from a Brompton.

I've no idea whose it is - it's there every day before we arrive, is still there after I drop him off, and same again in the afternoon. I'm not sure whether it belongs to a parent or perhaps to a member of staff and it stays there all day, as parents' bikes tend to just get leant against the fence at arrival and collection time. I must remember to find a reason to walk past the school during the day next week to see if it's actually there all day. Great to see it anyway.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #832 on: 25 March, 2011, 11:31:51 pm »
Went to sports city Manchester with my children today for a session on the 400metre outdoor track and seen Shanaze Reade with a very nice BMX. I thought she was on track bikes nowadays ?

One very bling BMX bike

« Reply #833 on: 26 March, 2011, 12:05:12 am »
Well, it wasn't that unusual, but it's fairly unusual in Reading.

At Frosts the fishmongers (where we later bought a slightly disappointing sea bass & some entirely satisfactory whelks) this afternoon: an absolutely immaculate bright-red fixie or maybe singlespeed, unbranded as far as I could see, apparently owned by Helen (name on top tube), with an Argos transfer near the base of the seat tube. Helen (I presume) noticed me looking at it, & I said "I see you had it resprayed in Bristol", which got a smile & a "Yes". And recently, by the look of it.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #834 on: 27 March, 2011, 10:47:23 am »
That Brompton is probably fitted with an ITchair childseat and an SP trailerbike by Steve Parry. The publishers of AtoB magazine has/had that sort of rig.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #835 on: 28 March, 2011, 05:31:06 pm »
The initials SP were on the trailerbike, so that must be it - thanks!
It wasn't there today, for some reason.

« Reply #836 on: 29 March, 2011, 10:36:52 pm »
In glasgow the other day.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #837 on: 30 March, 2011, 08:19:50 am »
In glasgow the other day.

Seen (by a friend) in Glasgow on 28/03/11  :)

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #838 on: 30 March, 2011, 09:32:35 am »
Cool.

Very cool.

Very very cool.
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #839 on: 30 March, 2011, 10:01:40 am »
Immensely wonderful and practical too.
Though it does look a bit back-heavy, but I guess you get used to allowing for that and the child must be fairly small to fit in.

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #840 on: 06 April, 2011, 10:31:06 am »
Just south of Cambridge this morning...

A black Pedersen, heading south at a good pace (so only got a quick glimpse of it).  First time I've seen one.  Even odder in the steel than in pictures, but does have a certain elegance.
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

« Reply #841 on: 06 April, 2011, 08:22:23 pm »
Higgins tri also in Cambridge
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #842 on: 10 April, 2011, 08:24:33 pm »
A beautiful yellow Cinelli on the way back from Streatham common, ridden by a chap who clearly takes much pride in it and rides it only on nice days or so he said.  He was chuffed when I admired it!!!!
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #843 on: 10 April, 2011, 09:20:39 pm »
This week saw a lovely long-wheelbase cargo bike with a cargo platform at the  front. Left the park before I could do much more than 'ooh' over it.

« Reply #844 on: 11 April, 2011, 07:29:59 pm »

At Frosts the fishmongers (where we later bought a slightly disappointing sea bass & some entirely satisfactory whelks) this afternoon:

Sorry, OT for a moment, I must remember next time I want to insult someone, to call them an unsatisfactory whelk.  Thank you.

I did spot a rather homebuilt front wheel drive longish wheelbase recumbent bike, being ridden on the Clifton bike path in York yesterday.  The bits that were painted were yellow, I think. Not anyone I knew, and I know a lot of Yorkies...
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #845 on: 11 April, 2011, 08:00:32 pm »
An Orange X-1 but with a rigid fork and an aluminium bar where the shock should have been.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #846 on: 14 April, 2011, 09:40:41 am »
Last night, in Clapham, I saw a Bickerton which had been adapted with what looked like a Dahon stem and straight bars.  Must improve the ride immensely.

This morninig, a smart orange steel Colnago (round tubes) in Balham.  Chrome forks, Brooks saddle and leather (Brooks?) bartape.
Getting there...

« Reply #847 on: 14 April, 2011, 01:26:38 pm »
I sawa nice fern green metallic fixed with a front disc brake this morning. Very pretty, but I didn't spot the head badge and didn't have time to ask the owner about it.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #848 on: 14 April, 2011, 03:35:32 pm »
Yesterday I passed (I can't remember where) a nice Viking mixte.  I couldn't make out the model name, though it wasn't a Severn Valley.  Had a pretty ugly 80s/90s riser bar on.
Getting there...

« Reply #849 on: 14 April, 2011, 09:50:32 pm »
An Orange X-1 but with a rigid fork and an aluminium bar where the shock should have been.

I has an Orange X1. Mostly as it should be, but unusual colour (it is the original colour). They are usually silver with either orange or yellow rear triangle.

The rear shock cost £145 to have serviced and new bushes. A solid bar would probably ride better if it's mainly used on road.  ;)
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...